Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,546 of 2,322
How powerful is the 100 in terms of driving headphones such as the HD25s and NAD HP50? I notice a slight hiss on my 450 when there's nothing playing, not entirely a deal breaker, but if those headphones can be played efficiently with the 100 it might be a consideration to change to it.

I am running the 100's with my HD650's atm. Compared to the GO1000, I have the volume up much higher, as you would expect. If you want very high volume, it will not be enough. However, I would not want to listen to the 100 for long at max volume. Too loud. However, the quality is excellent. The HD25-1 ii's are easier to drive (I have had them for years) and I would expect they should be an easy drive for the 100'. I do not have them with me on the road so I cannot try them now.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,547 of 2,322
Geek Out 100IEM, Toxic Cables Silver Poisons HD650's and Audirvana...

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,548 of 2,322
Hmm that's interesting to know go 100 is enough to drive hd650. I use go 450 and normally volume is at - 5 to - 15 db. I guess it would benefit from more headroom. But what you say may tempt me to get the 100 to try, as when I use the 450 with my iem (westone 3), i do hear some hiss. Not that evident, but can be heard when I look for it

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,549 of 2,322
:O WHUT you can drive the HD650s with the GO 100!? Now I'm really impressed. Are we talking driving similar to the Dragonfly in terms of power (they are qite similar) ? Wow I'm contacting my seller right now lol.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,550 of 2,322
The power output from the GO100IEM is similar to the Dragonfly. At full volume both are uncomfortably loud for me using the HD650's. I find the GO100 to be more refined. I am not unhappy with the Dragonfly. I enjoyed it for over a year before an adequate competitor arrived. They are both marvel's of engineering. The GO has replaced the DF for my goto rig though.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,551 of 2,322
I would agree that the 450 is more refined when compared to the DF (mine is the v1.2), though for the price and incredible form factor (remember that the GO is twice the width of the DF, not that the GO is HUGE but just to show how small the DF is) DF is a good recommendation at the price point. But if the DF and GO100 is similar in terms of power I'm going with the GO100. Definitely able to power up my hardest to drive PORTABLE which in this case is the HP50.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,552 of 2,322
I just got a Geek Out IEM 100 yesterday, tried it w/ PK1 earbuds and HD600, worked very nicely with Win7. But I did notice some quiet but noticeable cracking sound after like 10-20min play when I'm using it with MBA, I thought it's because of the heat it generates, but the cracking sound goes away when I press the button closer to the USB port (can't tell which button is for volume up and which is for down) once, seems one of the filters is enabled or something. I don't have this problem w/ the Herus (for the same source files). 

Other than this problem, it sounds pretty good. Seems not as refined as the Herus, but overall very nice. Can't say it's better than the Explorer which I just sold, but it's definitely more powerful, probably as powerful as the microStreamer which I also had before. And this GO100 gets hot very fast! Hotter than the microStreamer which is already pretty hot. Wonder if it can sustain this kind of heat for long. Will use it mostly in office (got aircon), so probably not a big issue. 

I just hope there are some indicators on the two little buttons so I'd know I'm pressing on the correct one. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,553 of 2,322
Hmm that's interesting to know go 100 is enough to drive hd650. I use go 450 and normally volume is at - 5 to - 15 db. I guess it would benefit from more headroom. But what you say may tempt me to get the 100 to try, as when I use the 450 with my iem (westone 3), i do hear some hiss. Not that evident, but can be heard when I look for it

The GO 100 outputs a maximum of 1.26 V (100 mW at 16 Ω).
power = (1/resistance) * (voltage RMS)^2
0.100 W = (1/16 Ω) * (x Volts RMS)^2
x = 1.26

The HD650 has an impedance rating of 320 Ω at 1 kHz according to Innerfidelity's measurements, and requires 0.13 mW to reach 90 dB SPL.
power = (1/320 Ω) * (1.26 V)^2 = 5 mW maximum power output at 320 Ω

Even if you listened to the HD650 at 105 dB SPL instead of 90, the GO 100 would have enough power for it.
+3 dB SPL increase = double the power required from the amplifier
105 dB SPL - 90 dB SPL = 15 dB SPL
15 dB SPL / 3 dB SPL = 5 = double the amplifier's required power five times
power = 0.13 mW * 2^5 = 4.16 mW

As for the volume control, it's logarithmic, so you may have the GO 450's volume level at around -5 to -15 dB FS, but the volume ramps up rapidly any higher than that. For the GO 100, you might have to crank it up to -2 dB FS for the 105 dB SPL volume level.

*these are all approximated calculations

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #1,554 of 2,322
Thanks for the calculation. 

I wonder why the GO100 is more expensive than the 450/720 versions, and will the other versions get much hotter than the GO100 due to much higher output power? The GO100 is already very hot, can't hold in hand after 1-2hrs play. Probably because it's hot and humid all year round here in Singapore. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #1,555 of 2,322
Hey Bro fengwei007! 

Hah the HD650 i'm using was yours! I'm the one who bought it from you :) Welcome to the world of LHlabs!

Well my 450 does run hot, but not overly so, even when I have both the hD650 and Oppo pm1 plugged in at the same time. According to Larry, its meant to run hot, in fact, the warmer the better he says. With regards to the filters, more information can be found here:
http://lhlabs.com/support/geek-out-v1-5-firmware-changelog.html under point 5.

I think the GO 100 was more expensive because of some tweaks they made in it specifically to work well with IEMs, especially in reducing the hiss that i get when running IEMs through the 450

@miceblue thanks for the calculations! good to know that even the 100 is so capable of driving full sized cans. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,556 of 2,322
  Hey Bro fengwei007! 

Hah the HD650 i'm using was yours! I'm the one who bought it from you :) Welcome to the world of LHlabs!

Well my 450 does run hot, but not overly so, even when I have both the hD650 and Oppo pm1 plugged in at the same time. According to Larry, its meant to run hot, in fact, the warmer the better he says. With regards to the filters, more information can be found here:
http://lhlabs.com/support/geek-out-v1-5-firmware-changelog.html under point 5.

I think the GO 100 was more expensive because of some tweaks they made in it specifically to work well with IEMs, especially in reducing the hiss that i get when running IEMs through the 450

@miceblue thanks for the calculations! good to know that even the 100 is so capable of driving full sized cans. 

That's great! I didn't expect to buy this GO100, but saw a lot talks about these Geeks, couldn't resist :)  It's been running for about 10 hours already, sound even better now. 

I'd pair it mostly with my PK1 in office, so the heat isn't a big deal. This combo sound really nice. 

Okay, so to use the two filter effects, I have to push either the UP or DOWN button. Now the question is, which one is volume UP and which one is DOWN button? I got mine w/ the latest firmware built-in already, there is no way to tell which one is for UP or DOWN :frowning2:   

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,558 of 2,322
Hi all,

I have a few questions:

I have Beyerdynamic T90 - which Geek Out would work the best for me? I know GO 1000 would drive it easily, but do I need it, or can get a GO 100?

Also, does any of the GO models work with android without an external power source?

Lastly, I just ran into a thread on creative soundblaster E5 - it seems to be really versatile with so many cool features. Can anyone comment how it would compare with GO in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,559 of 2,322
Hi all,

I have a few questions:

I have Beyerdynamic T90 - which Geek Out would work the best for me? I know GO 1000 would drive it easily, but do I need it, or can get a GO 100?

Also, does any of the GO models work with android without an external power source?

Lastly, I just ran into a thread on creative soundblaster E5 - it seems to be really versatile with so many cool features. Can anyone comment how it would compare with GO in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!

Is vote for the 1000 not because of the power (the T90 barely needs an amp because it it's extremely sensitive tesla drivers) but because of its slightly warm sound. Perfect for taking the edge off the 90s sometimes zingy treble.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #1,560 of 2,322
  Hi all,

I have a few questions:

Thanks!

I don't know about your headphones, but if they  are sensitive I would stay away from the GO1000. I own a GO 450 and it fried 3 pairs of Sony MH1 in the process, which are not the most sensitive IEMs., or so I hear. In one case it was my fault (I plugged them in while in full volume, I should have been more careful), in the other two cases it was the fault of UAPP and/or my ancient cellphone, Samsung Galaxy SIII, which still runs on Android 4.3. 

GO runs reportedly on Android 4.4 and 5.0 without external battery, but drains it fast. In your case I would go for a GO 100 and not even consider Creative Soundblaster. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back