Light, easy to deal with headphones, study headphones - that won't bore a head-fi vet
Dec 4, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

Well I guess "vet" might be a bit of a strong word (especially when compared to true vets haha), but I am no noob.

I have heard headphones from just about every company out there, a fair amount of amps...

Right now I am completely satisfied with my main rig. I consider it perfect. The LCD-2 would be my idea FR, but I enjoy the D7000 very much.

However, since my bedroom has so many distraction and goodies, I will be moving my schoolwork elsewhere in the house. That and I find my LCD-2 too damned heavy to study with... not good for my neck ( spare me comments about being a wuss, you try wearing half a kilo on your noggin for hours on end with less than perfect posture). The D7000 are also too pretty to have moved around a lot and potentially beat up.

I know everyone is tired of "I don't want to read the forums, just throw suggestion at me" threads... but please bear with me. I have read these forums extensively and would just like some fresh input. Really anything goes, but I am more interested in peoples experience and why they think it would be the right headphone.

When I study I listen to mainly classical and ambient. Maybe a bit of jazz here and there, some slower electronic sans vocals.

Recently I heard the DT 990 (600 ohms if it matters) and was quite taken with them... light, very comfortable, and a very rich sound.

I am open to any brand (Save Grado) but I am already leaning towards the DT 990 as they are sturdy, light and comfy.  I would prefer the headphone be open, have decent bass, and not be too bright. Ultrasones are nice too... but a bit heavy, although very sturdy. The HE5 is neat too, but I worry of build quality and weight. I would rather not repeat any of the headphones I have already owned, not because they are bad but just because I would like to try something new.

I have owned the following (in no order):

D7000 (still do)
LCD-2 (still do)
MDR-SA5K (still do)
Pro 750
K702
HD 600
XB 700
Grado 325i
W1000X

I would rather not break the bank (say 300$), as I am not trying to compete with my main rig... just not have something that is total crap. If it needs an amp or not that does not matter.

Flawed, but homey/pleasant is good.

Tentative list:

DT 990/880   -Worried the 880 will be too strident -good price.
HFI 2400 (probably to heavy though)
MDR-Z1000 -worried about highs too, but weight and build quality looks good... $$$ though

I can always fall back on my TripleFi 10, but I would rather not use them so much.

Thanks!!

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Sounds like you need a portable pair like esw-9s used or something.  I wanted something better to bring around than those even and broke the bank and got Ed8's but the esw9 is light and nice too, just not on the same level.  The Ed8s though expensive sound better than i expected once i got them here and are sturdy as well.  (Of course these are both closed)

edit-Ultrasone does have some open pairs both HFI model that is cheaper and open and a pro model that is open, i think the Pro 2400 but they are both full size and heavier.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Sounds like you need a portable pair like esw-9s used or something.  I wanted something better to bring around than those even and broke the bank and got Ed8's but the esw9 is light and nice too, just not on the same level.  The Ed8s though expensive sound better than i expected once i got them here and are sturdy as well.  (Of course these are both closed)

edit-Ultrasone does have some open pairs both HFI model that is cheaper and open and a pro model that is open, i think the Pro 2400 but they are both full size and heavier.

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I gifted the esw9 to my girlfriend and know them quite well. I don't tend to like "on ear" headphones though... sorry, not trying to be overly picky haha! They do sound very good though and are nice and light... hrm.

The E8 are indeed sexy, but would definitely need to audition them before dropping that kind of dough on a "secondary headphone".

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Tell you, the E8 sounded good my first time putting them on and they sound better as i get to know them.  Some HP's sound off and take a while to acclimate to like the LCD2s which makes me wonder, but these sound right at the start.  The thing i started to hear after a while though was that I heard the detail seem to come out more with time.  That was just an extra gift.  Good luck, you know how it works, you've been around the block, just have to find a pair of the likely suspects and get a bit of time with them and see how they work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back