Life after Yggdrasil?
Nov 18, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #976 of 1,366
L3000.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #978 of 1,366
Hey Torq, thank you for all the hard work you've put into the thread! Your reviews totally convinced me to either get the Spring DAC or the Yggy. I'm kind of torn though and I was hoping you could tell me which one you liked better with the Focal Utopia.  

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #980 of 1,366
  Hey Torq, thank you for all the hard work you've put into the thread! Your reviews totally convinced me to either get the Spring DAC or the Yggy. I'm kind of torn though and I was hoping you could tell me which one you liked better with the Focal Utopia.  

I want to know the same thing, but for the HD800S 
biggrin.gif

There's not really a simple way to answer either of you.

For a start, for me, it would depend very much on both what I was listening to, music-wise (this is why I'm both keeping my Yggdrasil - in fact I'm also adding a 2nd - and adding a Spring DAC to my setup).

It would also depend on what I was using for amplification.

And it would likely be heavily influenced by my mood at the time.

Hence ... the only way to be sure is ... to buy both!

It's what I did ... 

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #982 of 1,366
I have also a order on th wild ed from Wildism from HK. I'm living in South Korea so shipping is much convenient than from US. I've understood that there are some differences in the applied mods (from Kitsune 3rd level) but I hope that there will not be big impact is any to the final dAC performance level.
I hope to received in time for a happy Christmas.:D

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #983 of 1,366
Listening to my home yggy right now, and loving it! It sounds like the spring DAC is cool too, but I'm happy with yggy!

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #984 of 1,366

Now where's the fun in that?

:wink:

Wait a second...hybrid FPGA and COTS...20k price, mmm...maybe a Rockna product? Wavedream Signature balanced costs 15k and has custom dac chips and a Spartan 6 FPGA, so 20k for a better product using the same architecture is not a crazy proposition (just guessing here).
Also, Wavedream DAC was introduced in 2013, on Rockna's website, clicking on "Company", one can see that Rockna's product lifecycle is 3-4 years.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #985 of 1,366

Wait a second...hybrid FPGA and COTS...20k price, mmm...maybe a Rockna product? Wavedream Signature balanced costs 15k and has custom dac chips and a Spartan 6 FPGA, so 20k for a better product using the same architecture is not a crazy proposition (just guessing here).
Also, Wavedream DAC was introduced in 2013, on Rockna's website, clicking on "Company", one can see that Rockna's product lifecycle is 3-4 years.

Nah, Rockna don't use COTS chip, I'm thinking Classe....

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #986 of 1,366

Nope!

The company in question was (I think; I could be wrong here) the first to combine FPGAs and COTS DAC chips and is coming up on having been doing it for 10 years.

Nah, Rockna don't use COTS chip, I'm thinking Classe....

Nope!

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #987 of 1,366
I'm thinking British. With three letters. Certainly not R2R although I have been drooling over Rockna for months now. I would have loved to have seen a Rockna DAC reviewed here.

Fantastic thread -- thanks Torq .. I've been chewing on this thread since it's inception.

I couldn't resist posting my guess ..... Sorry. ... :D

This is my first post. It was worth it. Like scrathcing an itch.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #988 of 1,366
I'm thinking British. With three letters. Certainly not R2R although I have been drooling over Rockna for months now. I would have loved to have seen a Rockna DAC reviewed here.

Fantastic thread -- thanks Torq .. I've been chewing on this thread since it's inception.

I couldn't resist posting my guess ..... Sorry. ... :D

This is my first post. It was worth it. Like scrathcing an itch.
im thinking you're right!

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #989 of 1,366
I don't quite get it...Yggy is decent, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back