Life after Yggdrasil?
Dec 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,006 of 1,366
  hi @Torq 

I was wondering whether you'd heard the Mytek Brooklyn and whether you've heard MQA playback through a supported unit? If so, what are your thoughts?

Loving the thread, great work, keep it up! 

That's a no on the Mytek Brooklyn; the only Mytek unit I've heard is the Stereo192-DSD DAC.

I've not heard MQA through anything I'd consider a "serious" DAC.  And beyond a few test tracks, I've not had access to suitable source material to evaluate it.

Even as a long-time fan of Meridian's gear, and their work in digital audio, I'm pretty skeptical about MQA (on multiple grounds).  I'm a content-first kind of guy, which means until there's a usefully large catalog of relevant (to me) software for it, it's a bit of a non-entity in my world.  Much like DSD.  And maybe it's purported ability to be applied to existing masters, provided the source ADC lineage is known, will make that easier to address ... but so far there's lot of talk and not a lot of action.

I have learned, the hard way, not to "buy on futures".

When it has a mass of existing library content, and new content is being encoded with it, and when there's an array of suitable DACs to compare, I'll give it another look.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,007 of 1,366

Torq, thanks for your time on the many comments.
I am currently looking to purchase the Yggdrasil, however after viewing your comments I would like to know how it compares to the HOLO Silver Spring Level3 ? Have you had time to listen to it. I have gone through 33 pages so far and found no comment on it. Thanks from Atlanta

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,008 of 1,366
Torq, thanks for your time on the many comments.
I am currently looking to purchase the Yggdrasil, however after viewing your comments I would like to know how it compares to the HOLO Silver Spring Level3 ? Have you had time to listen to it. I have gone through 33 pages so far and found no comment on it. Thanks from Atlanta

Page 1, link to all comparisons. Holo is near the bottom of 1st post.
P.S. He bought the Holo and kept the Yggy too (last I knew).

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,009 of 1,366
And iirc Torq reviewed the holo too. Concluded they are at the same level, each with slight pluses and minuses compared to the other. You can't lose with either.

I own Yggdrasil. I find it incredible. I guess this means holo is too.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,010 of 1,366
And iirc Torq reviewed the holo too. Concluded they are at the same level, each with slight pluses and minuses compared to the other. You can't lose with either.

I own Yggdrasil. I find it incredible. I guess this means holo is too.

You do recall correctly ... and that review is here ...

Both Yggdrasil and Spring are excellent DACs.  They're somewhat different in their presentation since there are definite differences between NOS and OS DACs.  I think they're both, respectively, "best of breed", and certainly both are EASILY the best VALUE in their respective categories.

I like both of them, for different reasons, ergo I keep, and use, both.

YMMV!

I strongly recommend auditioning them both before making any decisions!

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,013 of 1,366
This city I go to once a year has an audio store that has the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. I already have the Ragnarok, would buying an Yggdrasil for the ability to be able to audition cans in a setup identical as to what i have at home be a good idea? I was also quite intrigued by the Spring DAC until I thought about the auditioning possibilities. As I have never tried anything above the Modi 2U or the Mojo as a DAC I don't know how much the difference will be, I don't want to go to a store to find an amazing pair of cans only to be tricked by the DAC(is the difference that large?)

I have never auditioned DACs before so I have no clue whatsoever. It probably seems weird spending 2300bucks on a DAC completely blind but I need a balanced DAC, and as some people on this forum has mentioned..
  If you can spare the money and if you're even remotely thinking of upgrading to the yggy from the gungnir in the future, just save your time and money and go for the Yggy.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,014 of 1,366
^ Well, this is ultimately only a decision you can make of course.

As you can see from my brief recent comments - and far more extensive comments, impressions and reviews of others such as Torq - I find Yggdrasil both the best DAC I've heard and 'stunningly' better than these others. However, it think it would be true that I needed my journey of roughly 10 years and multiple DACs to appreciate why Yggy is so good.

In absolute terms the differences between DACs are small: frequently only heard in parts of some tracks. However, once one's brain has 'learned' to hear the subtle differences that meet (and don't meet) one's preferences, these tiny changes become large. Whatever they may be. Some DACs will resolve things that matter to you, others won't. The ability for one DAC to do this and another not is an absolute difference, no matter how 'small' it may be.

Whether you are 'ready' yet for Yggdrasil (or the Spring or something else similarly expensive) only you can say, but as you "have never auditioned DACs before" I strongly urge you to get some experience doing this first. Then you will know why you need - or don't need! - a DAC like Yggy.

[e: to fix a word corrupted by spell check]

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,015 of 1,366
Whether you are 'ready' yet for Yggdrasil (or the Spring or something else similarly expensive) only you can say, but as you "have never auditioned DACs before" I strongly urge you to get some experience doing this first. Then you will know why you need - or don't need! - a DAC like Yggy.

Been thinking about what you said for the last couple of days. Makes complete sense to have a journey of sorts through DAC's to appreciate how good an Yggdrasil is. I was really in doubt if I should buy the Yggdrasil or not. That was until i started looking for balanced DAC's again.
So I will do both, I will buy the Yggdrasil and strive to listen to different DAC's when I have the opportunity.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,016 of 1,366
damnit gotta part with my yggy for a bit for some repairs, had this obvious channel imbalance issue going on with the rca outs recently. Just hope i get it back soon :frowning2:

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,017 of 1,366
So I will do both, I will buy the Yggdrasil and strive to listen to different DAC's when I have the opportunity.

Well, that would work too :wink:

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #1,018 of 1,366
Just got my Yggy a few days ago paired with a iFi iCan pro... And one word describes what I'm hearing. Wow!!!
I'm switching off between HD800S (mostly for Jazz & classical) and my LCD3's for everything else...
OK, now I finally understand the countless reviews I've read and raves about the Yggy.
It's truly unbelievable!

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,019 of 1,366
SU-1 vs. RedNet 3:

It depends.  

The Holo Audio unit sounds its best via its I2S input, so SU-1 there.

But if you compare the AES performance between the RedNet 3 and SU-1 I'd put the RedNet unit ahead.

Personally, I use both for various reasons.

Hi Torq
Would you stick to the same recommandation if using the Lynx E22 AES digital output?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back