Life after Yggdrasil?
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,021 of 1,366
  This city I go to once a year has an audio store that has the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. I already have the Ragnarok, would buying an Yggdrasil for the ability to be able to audition cans in a setup identical as to what i have at home be a good idea? I was also quite intrigued by the Spring DAC until I thought about the auditioning possibilities. As I have never tried anything above the Modi 2U or the Mojo as a DAC I don't know how much the difference will be, I don't want to go to a store to find an amazing pair of cans only to be tricked by the DAC(is the difference that large?)

I have never auditioned DACs before so I have no clue whatsoever. It probably seems weird spending 2300bucks on a DAC completely blind but I need a balanced DAC, and as some people on this forum has mentioned..

I see your from Norway, let me know if you come to Bergen, and youll get to listen to same DAC with a different amp and headphone ! Also the local DuetAudio have a full range of headphones in Bergen to review with different amps.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,024 of 1,366
  What about the Aqua Formula DAC? It's in your list :wink:

I'm going to be focusing on vinyl and portable gear this year, and, while I will still audition some of the remaining DACs on the list, I will NOT be doing so with units that require I buy them to do so (and then return them if I decide I'm not going to keep them).

The Aqua DACs fall into that category.

I don't want another series of big-credit card charges followed by refunds this year ... plus I'm tired of effectively paying to audition gear (since there are always shipping costs in there somewhere, and those add up rapidly with the six and weight of some of these units).  So I'm going to limit that activity to a couple of particularly exotic turntables and otherwise go back to observing the rule "I'm not jumping through hoops to give you an opportunity to sell me something expensive".

In the event I can do a proper audition without buying one then I will, but I don't see this as being likely.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,025 of 1,366
I'm going to be focusing on vinyl and portable gear this year, and, while I will still audition some of the remaining DACs on the list, I will NOT be doing so with units that require I buy them to do so (and then return them if I decide I'm not going to keep them).

The Aqua DACs fall into that category.

I don't want another series of big-credit card charges followed by refunds this year ... plus I'm tired of effectively paying to audition gear (since there are always shipping costs in there somewhere, and those add up rapidly with the six and weight of some of these units).  So I'm going to limit that activity to a couple of particularly exotic turntables and otherwise go back to observing the rule "I'm not jumping through hoops to give you an opportunity to sell me something expensive".

In the event I can do a proper audition without buying one then I will, but I don't see this as being likely.

Actually you can test drive Aqua DACs at home from Tweek Geek for 2 weeks w/ no purchase required. You will have to pay for return shipping, though.

Chris

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,028 of 1,366
Hi Torq

Based on your review on the Yggdrasil I ordered one for testing.

I keep it. For my ears the best digital component I had the pleasure to own.

I also ordered an Auralic Aries.

Thanks for all your fine input here.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,029 of 1,366
He got the YGGY.....     
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #1,031 of 1,366
^ What? :eek: Beat Yggy? Impossible :p

Seriously though, what about Yggy don't you like? Is there something specific or is this just upgraditis, a common malady round these parts :wink:

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #1,032 of 1,366
Seriously though, what about Yggy don't you like? Is there something specific or is this just upgraditis, a common malady round these parts 
wink.gif

Indeed. At Yggy level you're better off spending on suitable amp & transducer combinations. I see you're using the HD800, and unless it's modded you could likely do much better than that. And at the Yggy-pricing points, you would even start considering speakers, if feasible.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,033 of 1,366

Indeed. At Yggy level you're better off spending on suitable amp & transducer combinations. I see you're using the HD800, and unless it's modded you could likely do much better than that. And at the Yggy-pricing points, you would even start considering speakers, if feasible.

I agree, spend your money on items in the sonic chain before and after the Yggdrasil and you just might be rewarded!

Unless there's an absolute need for a feature the Yggy doesn't have, you'd be kinda crazy to give it up IMO      .... In other words.... tame the upgraditis
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,035 of 1,366
  I have on good word that Lampizators are not great, below Yggy performance for sure.
Take it or leave it, imo ymmv. 

I've heard the same. Stick with a Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back