LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #151 of 2,040
  So V2 has early shipping but V2+ does not
popcorn.gif

That could be a good thing. There have been some V2 reports of the resin case literally falling off of the unit. Apparently, it was just one batch of 20 units but I'd rather that they don't ship early and get these little surprises worked out. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #152 of 2,040
Okay, here are some shots I snapped off with my DSLR... no editing has been done, just cropping.

Lots of Printing lines. The top of the unit has a glossy finish, while the sides are matted.

The plug is covering the balanced connection, 3.5mm trrs

Size comparison to an iPhone 6.

I have been in contact with Gavin, and this is just a BETA, so please keep this in mind.  Yes, the chassis leaves much to be desired and is on the flimsy side, but they are still working out the kinks and I have every confidence that the production units will not disappoint.  Personally I would like to see a metal chassis, but they are concerned with heat, especially when stacked with a mobile device, which is very understandable. 

I haven't had all that much listening time as of yet, so I'll refrain from a full review, BUT what I have heard as been nice. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #154 of 2,040
The prototype looks pretty terrible, worse than most China, Inc. stuff. However, let's say we give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this case is completely unfinished because it's not a production unit. The GO V2s are already in full production, and they should be indicative of the finishing quality the V2+ and even the Wave. So we'll need to see what retail owners of the V2 say about the finishing quality of their units.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #155 of 2,040
  The prototype looks pretty terrible, worse than most China, Inc. stuff. However, let's say we give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this case is completely unfinished because it's not a production unit. The GO V2s are already in full production, and they should be indicative of the finishing quality the V2+ and even the Wave. So we'll need to see what retail owners of the V2 say about the finishing quality of their units.

I​ received one on Wednesday as well and it looks the same.  I will have it at the August 8th Chicago Head-Fi meet.  The v2+ manual just went up late yesterday as it needs to have the new driver 2.29 installed.  I did try it with my Galaxy S5, which the original GO worked fine with, I haven't been able to get the v2+ to work with my phone.

I am listening right now using Windows 10, Roon and the Grado GH1.  This is much more natural sounding than my original GO.  I am using it in the low gain setting with the GH1 and used it in the low setting with the HE400i as well.

Right now it just has the 2 filters TCM or FRM with the SSM not yet implemented. 

Now back to the music. :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #156 of 2,040

I​ received one on Wednesday as well and it looks the same.  I will have it at the August 8th Chicago Head-Fi meet.  The v2+ manual just went up late yesterday as it needs to have the new driver 2.29 installed.  I did try it with my Galaxy S5, which the original GO worked fine with, I haven't been able to get the v2+ to work with my phone.

I am listening right now using Windows 10, Roon and the Grado GH1.  This is much more natural sounding than my original GO.  I am using it in the low gain setting with the GH1 and used it in the low setting with the HE400i as well.

Right now it just has the 2 filters TCM or FRM with the SSM not yet implemented. 

Now back to the music. :)

I put in an order for an Emotiva Big Ego this evening for the goal of having it on hand at the Chicago meet. Hoping it makes it on time. This would be a good opportunity to give them both a comparative listen in the same setting. Will have my Leckerton UHA-6S MKII on hand for head-to-head DAC only testing.

If it makes it, should be fun! (I'm not cancelling my V2+ preorder...just in case. Emotiva has a fantastic return policy.)

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #157 of 2,040
Hello all, I have a question for anybody who owns or has tried the G.O. v2 or v2+

Regarding amping: Does this benefit from connecting the output to another amp? I'm aware this already has a built-in amp, but as this comes with such a good DAC, I've been interested to use it as a DAC-only with my other hi-end amps. Most likely you would have to play around with the different 3 output settings to see which level has the best synergy with your amp, but it seems this may have potential as a good DAC-only.

Regarding using this as an amp-only. It appears this does have an input jack - so is it at easy as it looks? Just connect to your device via 3.5-to-3.5mm cable and maybe change the input settings on the v2+ to make it work as an amp only? If so, what kind of performance does this thing have as an amp only?

PS- I actually have already tested a v2+ out at a meet, but only very briefly and didn't take it through all the paces like as mentioned. I was however very impressed with the sonic performance: balanced, full bodied, detailed, good sounstage.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #158 of 2,040
DecentLevi there's no analog 3.5mm input.  it has single ended 3.5mm out and balanced 3.5mm out

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #159 of 2,040
  Hello all, I have a question for anybody who owns or has tried the G.O. v2 or v2+

Regarding amping: Does this benefit from connecting the output to another amp? I'm aware this already has a built-in amp, but as this comes with such a good DAC, I've been interested to use it as a DAC-only with my other hi-end amps. Most likely you would have to play around with the different 3 output settings to see which level has the best synergy with your amp, but it seems this may have potential as a good DAC-only.

Regarding using this as an amp-only. It appears this does have an input jack - so is it at easy as it looks? Just connect to your device via 3.5-to-3.5mm cable and maybe change the input settings on the v2+ to make it work as an amp only? If so, what kind of performance does this thing have as an amp only?

PS- I actually have already tested a v2+ out at a meet, but only very briefly and didn't take it through all the paces like as mentioned. I was however very impressed with the sonic performance: balanced, full bodied, detailed, good sounstage.

As to the use of an external amplifier, I am not sure how you can bypass the internal headphone amplifier.  To double amp usually creates more problems than it is worth.  On the v1, they suggested the 47 ohm should be used with maximum volume to bypass the headphone amplifier.  I didn't see that in the current manual on the LH Labs website.

The only input is the USB input, so I don't see  how you could bypass the DAC and just use it as an amplifier.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #160 of 2,040

You can't do either of the things you are asking about. There is only a USB input, and no line-level output. It is a GREAT unit though.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #161 of 2,040
So I pre-ordered a V2+ Infinity and HE-560 bundle early last month before they pulled it off IGG.

Saw a post on LH's Facebook page a couple of weeks ago saying they'd received stock of the HE-560s and were e-mailing out shipping notifications. 1 week later, no e-mail from them, so I e-mailed support and was told mine would be sent out in the next batch which would be arriving soon. No worries.

Now I see a post from Stephanie Rodriguez on some bundle sale they are having on Geek Force, and they have the exact same bundle on sale with the HE-560s shipping immediately.

C'mon LH Labs. I don't want to tell you guys how to run a business, but if you have stock shouldn't you be fulfilling your pre-orders before shipping out to new customers?

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #163 of 2,040
  The picture is a bit washed out, but WOW, that chassis looks terrible... I've got a GO1000 and it's literally a heater and I'm looking to replace it and get some thing I can use with my phone too, but the V2+ chassis is a serious downgrade... That also looks tons bigger than on the website... I think there's some funky Photoshop on the LHLabs website now... Or they're taking advantage of 2D depth perception. 

Let's hope there's a serious upgrade in chassis, just like on the Geek Pulse Infinity campaign, so that the sound and functions get complimented by the looks. It is a beta, but that's pretty craptastic.

LMAO! Love the word "CRAPTASTIC". Too funny. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #164 of 2,040
I just got my GO V2+ Infinity... and I'm pretty disappointed so far.

Compared to the chassis of V1, the V2+ is downright ugly. It looks and feels incredibly cheap and not sleek at all. I can barely read the writing on it.

Worst of all... it's not turning on. I'm going to leave it trying to charge to see if anything happens, but I'm getting no lights or anything with this plugged into my PC (or my Anker charger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back