LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Jul 6, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #121 of 2,040
care to share the link for the TTVJ item? I'd like to check out all possibilities before I make a purchase. Tks!

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #122 of 2,040
  care to share the link for the TTVJ item? I'd like to check out all possibilities before I make a purchase. Tks!

Totally. It's right here: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Micro_USB_to_Micro_USB_Portable_Cable_p/aat0000200.htm 

I like it because it's a right angle connector that doesn't put as much stress on the phone's microUSB port. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #123 of 2,040

Totally. It's right here: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Micro_USB_to_Micro_USB_Portable_Cable_p/aat0000200.htm

I like it because it's a right angle connector that doesn't put as much stress on the phone's microUSB port.

Nice...  I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 which they specifically mention in their description. It's also a few bucks cheaper as well.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #124 of 2,040

I think they probably need to communicate with their Customer Service people a little more closely. Check out 42 seconds in. There's a Note 4 connected to a V2+ via USB-OTG. 

The short OTG cable w/ Hologram looks like a LH-designed cable. Which would make sense because of the list of cables on their Indiegogo page for the V2/V2+: 

It would be pretty strange to create a price list for OTG cables, including both a Micro B to B and Micro B to Male A cable, and not make them available. Especially because using the V2+ with an Android/iOS smartphone seems like the primary case use for the device. The V2+ is what became of the original Geek Stream campaign (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-stream-a-battery-powered-usb-headphone-amplifier-dac#/story) which is a DAC/Amp designed specifically for the purpose of connecting to a smartphone to provide an improved audio experience. 

Before catastrophizing, I'd probably wait for Larry, Gavin, or Casey to come into the thread and clarify. My guess is that there has been a communications breakdown somewhere along the way. This wouldn't surprise me - historically LH has sucked at this. 

Well whatdya know? Nothing like a little delayed communications!!! From Gina at LH Labs

"Hi Joseph,

Good news! Just spoke with Larry and he said it's a go for the Micro male to Micro Male USB OTG cable after all. :) It's not on the campaign page, but I can invoice you directly for the cable which is $49 + shipping."

`The usb cable from TTVJ will suit me just fine for less than half the price thank you very much.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #125 of 2,040
Yeah your alternative cable is much more realistically priced. Anyway the v2+ is not worthless even if it doesn't connect to a portable device - you can still use it as a possibly phenomenal quality DAC from your PC, then connect it to your amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable (after testing to see which gain setting on the v2+ works best with this config.). And a possible benefit on using the v2+ on your home rig over the v2 could be that the battery power may give a more electronically isolated audio signal.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #126 of 2,040
Jul 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #127 of 2,040
pono uses dual 3.5mm trs/3 pole for balanced output.  gov2+ uses a single 3.5mm trrs/4 pole for balanced.  the other port is just a regular 3.5mm trs for unbalanced.  so no that cable won't work

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #128 of 2,040
  pono uses dual 3.5mm trs/3 pole for balanced output.  gov2+ uses a single 3.5mm trrs/4 pole for balanced.  the other port is just a regular 3.5mm trs for unbalanced.  so no that cable won't work

So I just need to find a single 3.5mm trrs/4pole to 4 pin xlr adaptor. correct? Pretty sure Venus Audio will make any type of configuration you need/want.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #129 of 2,040
  Yeah your alternative cable is much more realistically priced. Anyway the v2+ is not worthless even if it doesn't connect to a portable device - you can still use it as a possibly phenomenal quality DAC from your PC, then connect it to your amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable (after testing to see which gain setting on the v2+ works best with this config.). And a possible benefit on using the v2+ on your home rig over the v2 could be that the battery power may give a more electronically isolated audio signal.

Your latter point re electrical isolation is well taken, but I already have a pulse, micro iDSD, and the sabre 9023 based DAC built-in to my receiver, so it starts to get a little duplicative. If I can get a refund, I will, but if not, I'll compare the sound to the pulse, and if it is better I'l sell the pulse, if not I'll sell the gov2+. Gotta keep the micro now as it's the only truly portable option I have. I was orignally planning to sell my least favorite of the "portables," but i'm not going to sell my only one.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #132 of 2,040
I'm having an adaptor made to utilize the balanced out from the V2+.  Does anyone know the answer to this question from the cable maker?

'You might want to check on the GOut for the TRRS balanced (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, sleeve) configuration since it is not clear if they use the standard pin-out for balanced TRRS.'

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #133 of 2,040
  I'm having an adaptor made to utilize the balanced out from the V2+.  Does anyone know the answer to this question from the cable maker?

'You might want to check on the GOut for the TRRS balanced (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, sleeve) configuration since it is not clear if they use the standard pin-out for balanced TRRS.'

Follow up from John at SurfCables ----- Just so you know, typical balanced TRRS pinout is like this (have them confirm they are same or different):
Tip L+
1st ring next to tip R+
2nd ring L-
sleeve R-

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #134 of 2,040
Someone pointed me to Geek Out when I asked about DAC/AMP combos specifically for soundstage.

I know nothing of these, searched around & saw they are made by a kickstarter & are not out yet?

So what's the consensus on these? Are they really superior in soundstage over the iFi iDAC & Meridian Director?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back