LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #136 of 2,040
Thanks much!

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #137 of 2,040
So last weekend at the SF HeadFi meet I had the pleasure of trying the G.O. v2+.

After spending a brief moment realizing I had to download a driver to make it compatible with Windows, I opted to instead connect it digitally to an Apple phone that a friendly member lent to me. It recognised the device automatically, I played with a few buttons to adjust the volume, and WaLa! Pristine sound oozes forth!

It really gave me a "my head is bigger than my body" feeling in terms of it being such a stellar performer for such a small package. Although not a direct comparison, I had just previously had my ears 'trained' on the sound signature of a DAC of about 50x it's size (Gustard X12), and for all intensive purposes I could hear no degradation in comparison. That is to say, the sound was "all there"! Robust sound with excellent dynamics / punch, well laid out soundstage, very detailed any energetic. I tried it first double-amped connected to my Ember 2.0 tube amp, but upon just connecting my headphones directly it actually sounded better during this testing. Overall I would say it's a robust, clear sound with a good stage. And word has it the v2+ has the same audio circuitry as the v2 standard, plus the battery for extra portability so both should sound stellar.

As far as the build quality, my fingers were telling me it's a tad on the 'wonky' side, giving me a slight worry if it's durable, but maybe that's just me not being used to a 3D printed chassis.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #138 of 2,040
Well I got my beta unit in the mail today, and it's not working with my MacBook :frowning2: Does anyone know of a lightning to micro USB cable?

Anyway, here it is, not really liking the 3D printed chassis either, definitely feels cheap.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #140 of 2,040
Well I got my beta unit in the mail today, and it's not working with my MacBook :frowning2: Does anyone know of a lightning to micro USB cable?

Anyway, here it is, not really liking the 3D printed chassis either, definitely feels cheap.

You can use the CCK and the a standard USB to micro cable.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #141 of 2,040

The picture is a bit washed out, but WOW, that chassis looks terrible... I've got a GO1000 and it's literally a heater and I'm looking to replace it and get some thing I can use with my phone too, but the V2+ chassis is a serious downgrade... That also looks tons bigger than on the website... I think there's some funky Photoshop on the LHLabs website now... Or they're taking advantage of 2D depth perception. 

Let's hope there's a serious upgrade in chassis, just like on the Geek Pulse Infinity campaign, so that the sound and functions get complimented by the looks. It is a beta, but that's pretty craptastic.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #142 of 2,040
  So last weekend at the SF HeadFi meet I had the pleasure of trying the G.O. v2+.

It really gave me a "my head is bigger than my body" feeling in terms of it being such a stellar performer for such a small package. Although not a direct comparison, I had just previously had my ears 'trained' on the sound signature of a DAC of about 50x it's size (Gustard X12), and for all intensive purposes I could hear no degradation in comparison. That is to say, the sound was "all there"! Robust sound with excellent dynamics / punch, well laid out soundstage, very detailed any energetic. I tried it first double-amped connected to my Ember 2.0 tube amp, but upon just connecting my headphones directly it actually sounded better during this testing. Overall I would say it's a robust, clear sound with a good stage. And word has it the v2+ has the same audio circuitry as the v2 standard, plus the battery for extra portability so both should sound stellar.

As far as the build quality, my fingers were telling me it's a tad on the 'wonky' side, giving me a slight worry if it's durable, but maybe that's just me not being used to a 3D printed chassis.

Great mini-review/feedback. The Gustard X12 is rated very favourably, so putting it up there is great news. They also use similar chips and both are said not to be on the sibilant side, so nice to hear some reassurance of that too. Thanks :)

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #143 of 2,040
Has anyone got high quality pictures (from a DSLR or similar quality sensors) of retail production units of the GO V2? I would expect the GO V2+ chassis to end up with the same kind of finish quality. So far, I've only seen computer renders of both the V2 and V2+, which would not be indicative of what is really getting to customers' hands. From what I see, that case is not finished at all and came straight out of the 3D printer. If they are selling retail units that way, it would be not be good. I would really hope they do a significant amount more fine tuning and hand polishing to that case if it reaches the retail market.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #144 of 2,040
  Has anyone got high quality pictures (from a DSLR or similar quality sensors) of retail production units of the GO V2? I would expect the GO V2+ chassis to end up with the same kind of finish quality. So far, I've only seen computer renders of both the V2 and V2+, which would not be indicative of what is really getting to customers' hands. From what I see, that case is not finished at all and came straight out of the 3D printer. If they are selling retail units that way, it would be not be good. I would really hope they do a significant amount more fine tuning and hand polishing to that case if it reaches the retail market.

There's a video posted on the previous page where the headfi'ers are asking about micro->micro OTG cables. At the end of the video all the LH staffers hold up there GOV2s, but you can see the same 3D print lines on all of them. They look like the same, unfinished chassis in the picture. Just like you said, like they came straight out of a 3D printer without any finishing work done... Damn, I was kinda counting on this one :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #145 of 2,040
I'm not familiar with that the meaning is of 'finishing the case' after it's done in the 3D printer. Maybe you can enlighten me about how that would be done (and LH labs in case they don't know too). But as I mentioned, maybe I'm just not used to the look/feel of 3D printed items. Technically there is probably some 1-5% ish margin of imperfection with 3D printing in general, but it could actually be more durable than it seems.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #146 of 2,040
  There's a video posted on the previous page where the headfi'ers are asking about micro->micro OTG cables. At the end of the video all the LH staffers hold up there GOV2s, but you can see the same 3D print lines on all of them. They look like the same, unfinished chassis in the picture. Just like you said, like they came straight out of a 3D printer without any finishing work done... Damn, I was kinda counting on this one :frowning2:

Just watched the LH Labs video regarding the first shipments. Some of them look better finished than others. It's hard to tell. Will look for the video you're referencing.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #147 of 2,040
  I'm not familiar with that the meaning is of 'finishing the case' after it's done in the 3D printer. Maybe you can enlighten me about how that would be done (and LH labs in case they don't know too). But as I mentioned, maybe I'm just not used to the look/feel of 3D printed items. Technically there is probably some 1-5% ish margin of imperfection, but it could actually be more durable than it seems.

3D printers don't print things perfectly --- neither extrusion printers nor SLA printers. They have holding tabs that you have to break off by hand and then sand/grind down afterwards. A smooth sheen to the resin would also need hand polishing with sand paper.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #148 of 2,040
  I'm not familiar with that the meaning is of 'finishing the case' after it's done in the 3D printer. Maybe you can enlighten me about how that would be done (and LH labs in case they don't know too). But as I mentioned, maybe I'm just not used to the look/feel of 3D printed items. Technically there is probably some 1-5% ish margin of imperfection with 3D printing in general, but it could actually be more durable than it seems.

The definition of "finishing":
To complete the manufacture or decoration of (an article) by giving it an attractive surface appearance.
"the interior was finished with American oak"
synonyms:varnishlacquerveneercoatstainwaxshellacenamel, put a finish on, glaze, give a shine to, glosspolishburnish, smooth off "some items were finished in a black lacquer"

This is what I mean and what I figure the poster above me meant. I'm certain that any person who works in manufacturing also knows what I mean and that it's usually reasonably important for, guess what, finished goods. Finished both implies being completed and also having the correct surface treatment done. Anyway, I don't work in plastics, but I do work in metal and I used to do woodworking, so I'm sure there exist methods of "finishing" a 3D printed product to make it presentable to the end customer just as it exists in other fields. I'm not talking about manufacturing tolerances, I'm talking about applying the appropriate surface treatment to goods before they exit the production line.

3D printers don't print things perfectly --- neither extrusion printers nor SLA printers. They have holding tabs that you have to break off by hand and then sand/grind down afterwards. A smooth sheen to the resin would also need hand polishing with sand paper.

You're right that the video is inconclusive, but I could see the right kind of glare off their shells to tell you they -seemed- to be mostly lacking a surface polishing. They may in fact have one, but not one the I would say should be shipping to customers` paying hands. Check those beauties of rendering on their website, no tell tale 3D printing lines there, just a nice, smooth, possibly matte, finish.

I really hope they get their *** together or that the actual final versions are a lot better. I'm not concerned about the durability of the 3D printed cases, I'm sure that fine and they'll fit snug and the quality will be fine. It's just the final looks now.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #149 of 2,040
That picture looks nothing like renders on site. Looks very tacky. If I posted for an infinity out higher version and got that build quality esp at full price... I would feel Very disappointed. They need to do some serious work. Even if it's hot I would take first geekout case over the resin if it's that tacky

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #150 of 2,040
So V2 has early shipping but V2+ does not
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back