LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #991 of 1,391
The V2+ is equipped with a battery, and can be used with a smart phone(Battery is for headphone amplification)
The V2A is an upgraded V2 w/ aluminum chassis, and is USB powered by laptop computers. The V2A is the 3rd ed. of the Geek Out, and LH Labs should begin general production soon.

Okay. Didn't see that the plus has a battery. I actually like that for phone use. So as asked above, is the plus on the same level as the 2, 2a, or an upgrade over both sonically? Aside from the possibility of the battery providing a cleaner sound.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #994 of 1,391
Decommo, and Matte82

You want the Geekout V2 "Infinity" model.  The V2 INFINITY and V2+ INFINITY are an upgrade from the standard V2.  So what's the difference?  The difference is between very good/excellent and the verge-of-greatness/sublime.  The GOV2 INFINITY is worth the extra money if you can find one.  I have a standard V2 and the V2 INFINITY and the difference is quite noticeable.    I've sent them both in for the 2A upgrade and am awaiting them back from the factory. 

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #995 of 1,391
I thought they were meant to be basically identical except for improved THD+n, extra filter and gain modes on the infinity models- have not heard standard v2+ but do notice I slightly prefer the v2+inf to the nonplus standard v2- but also have to wonder if that is due to the internal battery being a better power supply than my laptop's usb bus.

The filter modes are rather subtle to me so the extra mode isn't much benefit imo, but the medium gain setting is handy sometimes. Maybe i'm just not that good of a listener though :confused_face:

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #996 of 1,391
I do not want to be sarcastic and I am just amazed. Taking prepayment of over 1.6 million and deliver all of orders after 2 years later. That is a lot of patience and faith from backers.

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #998 of 1,391
Raketen,

Whatever the lower THD+N does in the INFINITY V2, it sounds more natural, palpable, dynamic, smooth, better decay, timing, etc.  It's not minor either.  I've compared them and it's just a whole other level of refinement.  It's a cheap upgrade compared to headphone upgrades where the law of diminishing returns set in HARD after $300 phones. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #999 of 1,391
Quote:
  Raketen,

Whatever the lower THD+N does in the INFINITY V2, it sounds more natural, palpable, dynamic, smooth, better decay, timing, etc.  It's not minor either.  I've compared them and it's just a whole other level of refinement.  It's a cheap upgrade compared to headphone upgrades where the law of diminishing returns set in HARD after $300 phones. 

The 2A has the same guts as the Infinity V2, correct? That's been my understanding.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,000 of 1,391
I have the GO2a, and have only used it once briefly about a week ago as I have a Chord Mojo which I usually use. I picked up the GO2a to give it a proper trial today, and it seems to be having USB connectivity issues. I've tried 3 computers and it was the same story with each computer, so its not my USB ports. It disconnects randomly, and if you unplug it, and plug it back in, the blue LED inside lights up, but the other LEDS don't light up and it won't connect/turn on fully. Do you need to give it a specific amount of time between unplugging it and plugging it back in to make it work? If I have to send this back in for repair I'm gonna be so disappointed, as I just got it. My first GOV2 fell apart, second one had similar USB issues, and now this GO2A seems to be having problems as well. I'll keep trying to use it to see if it sorts itself out. Has anyone else had USB troubles with their GO2A?     

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,001 of 1,391
Raketen,

I don't think so.  The upgrade was for the GOV2 and GOV2 Infinity models.  What would be the point of upgrading?  The signal-to-noise ratio is improved over the original Infinity model.  The voltage output was increased by 50% from 4 volts to more than 6 volts by the use of "instant-on" capacitors???  Where did you get your information that the 2A version is the same as the Infinity model?  Perhaps they'll leave the resistors alone in the Infinity and just upgrade the caps???

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #1,002 of 1,391
  I have the GO2a, and have only used it once briefly about a week ago as I have a Chord Mojo which I usually use. I picked up the GO2a to give it a proper trial today, and it seems to be having USB connectivity issues. I've tried 3 computers and it was the same story with each computer, so its not my USB ports. It disconnects randomly, and if you unplug it, and plug it back in, the blue LED inside lights up, but the other LEDS don't light up and it won't connect/turn on fully. Do you need to give it a specific amount of time between unplugging it and plugging it back in to make it work? If I have to send this back in for repair I'm gonna be so disappointed, as I just got it. My first GOV2 fell apart, second one had similar USB issues, and now this GO2A seems to be having problems as well. I'll keep trying to use it to see if it sorts itself out. Has anyone else had USB troubles with their GO2A?     

This can be a big issue for me... I am far from USA and if I need to send it back, it could be a big hassle. GO2A looks amazing and really want to give a go but this occassional quality issue really holding me to give a go.... 
mad.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,003 of 1,391
Raketen,

I don't think so.  The upgrade was for the GOV2 and GOV2 Infinity models.  What would be the point of upgrading?  The signal-to-noise ratio is improved over the original Infinity model.  The voltage output was increased by 50% from 4 volts to more than 6 volts by the use of "instant-on" capacitors???  Where did you get your information that the 2A version is the same as the Infinity model?  Perhaps they'll leave the resistors alone in the Infinity and just upgrade the caps???

that was Stuck Limo not me you are responding to... though I believe they did say something about the V2a, other than the enclosure, receiving an upgrade of components or circuit layout over the v2 that had already been implemented in the V2+, not just the Infinity model.

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,004 of 1,391
that was Stuck Limo not me you are responding to... though I believe they did say something about the V2a, other than the enclosure, receiving an upgrade of components or circuit layout over the v2 that had already been implemented in the V2+, not just the Infinity model.

That is what I read from LH Labs as well. The V2+ already had the upgraded caps/internals, so they just transferred those over to the 2A.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,005 of 1,391
Just received my GO2A.  I must say, it is worth it.  The red aluminum chassis speaks quality hi-end, whereas the GOv2 chassis was amateurish. Soundwise, it sounds great.  The GOv2 was good, but not great IMHO.  The 2A I captured me (with 192 kHz recordings) and I couldnt stop listening.  I then had a go with my iphone,  It didnt sound special with 256 apple encoding, so I downloaded the file using the onkyo HD application and used that to listen.  It sounded awfully good.  Of course, because it was an iphone, I had to use a lightning to camera adapter, then a split USB cable so it could get enough power to run the GO2A.  Also the chassis gets pretty toasty. 

like others, it took a while to get it and they didnt respond while I waited, but it is definitely worth it.  For those who feel like they were beta testers for the v2, yes, you were, but if you bought at retail, it probably would have cost you the same in the end.   Anyway, I am now a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back