LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Sep 5, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #976 of 1,391
  I spoke to Matt in technical support at LH Labs regarding using the GO2A to drive the Beyerdynamic T1 600ohm headphones. 

His reply was,

"The new GO2A can produce up to 6.6V in high gain compared to the earlier 4.4V. This is a massive increase!
If you were to get the 600ohm headphones, your output would be roughly 72mW would, to my opinion isn't enough."

These numbers calculate straight up as mentioned, but this doesn't really make sense... the HD-650's are 300ohm nominal impedance... using the above calculations with the GOv2, I end up with 64.53mW.

I don't know if you've heard the 650's driven by the GOv2, but they are very loud and powerful in balanced config. I'd guess the T1's would also be... just my opinion. Maybe I'm missing something?

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #978 of 1,391
mikoss,

Perhaps your calculations are single ended vs. balanced.  So perhaps, according to your calculations, I could get 128mW in balanced?  I don't know how you do those calculations?

Condocondor

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #979 of 1,391
Power is super easy to calculate. Here are DC calculations...
Voltage = Current x Resistance
Power = Current x Voltage

I just used the values that Matt told you... I have no idea if those were single ended or balanced calculations :wink:

I can step you through the calculations, if you'd like. You can also combine both formulas by solving for the variables too, but I'll do it separately for you.

Voltage = Current x Resistance
6.6V = Current x 600 ohms
6.6V / 600 ohms = Current
0.011 amps = Current
Or we can say 11mA

Now, we can solve for power.

Power = Current x Voltage
Power = 0.011A x 6.6V
Power = 0.0726 watts
Or we can say 72.6mW (as per Matt above)

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #980 of 1,391
mikoss,

You're a wonderful human being for sharing your knowledge.  Thank you for that math tutorial.  I got this.  No problem.  I just didn't know the mathematical relationships.....

Shawn Watson (Condocondor)

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #981 of 1,391
Just looking into lhlabs dacs. I just bought some 64 audio u6's and am looking into upgrading the source. These look like a good choice. But I am a little confused on what is what. It looks like there was the v2, and then the option to upgrade those to v2a's. But where do the v2+ fit in? Is that the same as the v2a or an even newer version?

Also they seem to be sold out on their website. But have apparently been busy with the 2a upgrades. As far as everyone knows they'll be available again soon?

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #982 of 1,391
Just looking into lhlabs dacs. I just bought some 64 audio u6's and am looking into upgrading the source. These look like a good choice. But I am a little confused on what is what. It looks like there was the v2, and then the option to upgrade those to v2a's. But where do the v2+ fit in? Is that the same as the v2a or an even newer version?

Also they seem to be sold out on their website. But have apparently been busy with the 2a upgrades. As far as everyone knows they'll be available again soon?

The V2+ is equipped with a battery, and can be used with a smart phone(Battery is for headphone amplification)
The V2A is an upgraded V2 w/ aluminum chassis, and is USB powered by laptop computers. The V2A is the 3rd ed. of the Geek Out, and LH Labs should begin general production soon.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #983 of 1,391

The V2+ is equipped with a battery, and can be used with a smart phone(Battery is for headphone amplification)
The V2A is an upgraded V2 w/ aluminum chassis, and is USB powered by laptop computers. The V2A is the 3rd ed. of the Geek Out, and LH Labs should begin general production soon.

Have you had a chance to compare between V2A and V2+ in terms of sound? Few sources indicated that V2+ has battery inside so it might give cleaner signal but is it noticeable comparing with V2A? I personally prefer without battery to avoid charging if there is no difference in sound clarity.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #984 of 1,391
Have you had a chance to compare between V2A and V2+ in terms of sound? Few sources indicated that V2+ has battery inside so it might give cleaner signal but is it noticeable comparing with V2A? I personally prefer without battery to avoid charging if there is no difference in sound clarity.

I have years of experience with GOV1, V2, but not the V2+. I'm waiting on the Geek Wave as my portable DAP.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #985 of 1,391

I have years of experience with GOV1, V2, but not the V2+. I'm waiting on the Geek Wave as my portable DAP.

Did not know Geek Wave and just googled it. It was crowdfunded back in June 2014. Has it out to market yet?

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #986 of 1,391
Did not know Geek Wave and just googled it. It was crowdfunded back in June 2014. Has it out to market yet?

Hahaha! Yeah, no...

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #988 of 1,391
That is 1.6million dollars raised and no product delivered yet....if I understood correctly.

Correct on all accounts.

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #990 of 1,391
I do not want to be sarcastic and I am just amazed. Taking prepayment of over 1.6 million and deliver all of orders after 2 years later. That is a lot of patience and faith from backers.

What choose have they? No refunds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back