LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Aug 30, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #961 of 1,391
Dear Head-Fi Friends,

I sent my Geekout V2 and V2 INFINITY in for upgrading to the 2A.  In the mean time, I've purchased the Beyerdynamic T1 (second gen.) which is 600ohms.  I've also ordered the TRRS adapter from Surf Cables,LLC ($85).  I realize the T1 is a bit much even for the GOV2A, but I'm going to try.  I'm hoping that the balanced operation of the 2A with it's increased voltage will do the job--albeit just barely.  I've only had a few days with the T1 using my old GO450 and boy it's a smooth sounding can.  I think the GOV2A will put out about 65mW (balanced).

I had just received the GOV2 INFINITY 2 days before finding out about the GOV2A upgrade and had to send it off.  BUT, the INFINITY is a whole other level of refinement above the standard V2.  That being said, I'm not sure there will be ANY difference between the standard V2 and the V2 INFINITY after the upgrade--other than the extra filter and power setting.
Anyway, the Infinity was incredible in it's standard form.  I can only imagine how the upgrade will sound!

If LH Labs brings the GOV2A to market after the upgrades are done, look out!  I don't think there will be anything on the market of this type that can compete with it.

I will keep everyone advised to all of this above information and how it all performs when I get my upgrades back from LH Labs.

Cheers,

Shawn P. Watson (a.k.a: Condocondor).........I'm also on Facebook as Shawn P. Watson 

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #964 of 1,391
I received my GO2a today and it's holding its own very nicely against a Modi Multibit through my Jotunheim. I'm planning on only keeping one and it's a difficult choice because both units have such strengths. And previously I had compared the Modi to the Bifrost Multibit and the Jotunheim internal DAC and vastly preferred the Modi. So for the GO2a to go toe to toe with it is quite a feat.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #965 of 1,391
  I received my GO2a today and it's holding its own very nicely against a Modi Multibit through my Jotunheim. I'm planning on only keeping one and it's a difficult choice because both units have such strengths. And previously I had compared the Modi to the Bifrost Multibit and the Jotunheim internal DAC and vastly preferred the Modi. So for the GO2a to go toe to toe with it is quite a feat.

Awesome. Looking forward to detailed impressions of the GO2a vs MB Modi. Normally, I find that DS treble is a huge deal breaker for myself, but the GOv2's treble is probably the best Sabre implementation I've heard. I find Gumby's treble is more natural sounding with more overall clarity than GOv2's, but I still really enjoy GOv2.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on plankton/overall detail retrieval of GO2a vs Mimby. Also, if the natural R2R/MB sound is noticeable vs GO2a.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #966 of 1,391
Awesome. Looking forward to detailed impressions of the GO2a vs MB Modi. Normally, I find that DS treble is a huge deal breaker for myself, but the GOv2's treble is probably the best Sabre implementation I've heard. I find Gumby's treble is more natural sounding with more overall clarity than GOv2's, but I still really enjoy GOv2.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on plankton/overall detail retrieval of GO2a vs Mimby. Also, if the natural R2R/MB sound is noticeable vs GO2a.

I do have some thoughts on that and can update the thread later today.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #967 of 1,391
I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Modi Multibit and the GO2a. They are both excellent DACs and if you were choosing between them, you can't lose. In absolute terms I would lean towards the Momby as a slightly superior DAC, with more energy, detail, and realism, but it's not a slam dunk in favor of the Momby. When I stop comparing and sit back to listen, they're equally enjoyable.

The Momby has a smaller, more focused soundstage that gives the music a more forward energy. The GO2a is more laid back, with a wider soundstage that allows the music and instruments more room to breathe. The other major difference is in the bass. Momby has more of it and more impact. The GO2a has good bass texture but I'm hearing it whereas with the Momby I'm feeling it.

If you need a portable DAC, the GO2a (or GOV2+) is IMO the best you can get (though I haven't heard the Mojo). If you'll only be listening on a desktop, I'd say get a Modi Multibit.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #968 of 1,391
I received an email stating my V2a would be mailed yesterday and received it today.  It is truly a beautiful piece of equipment.  The buttons have a solid feel (as opposed to the mushy feel on my old V2).  The buttons also seem to work on the first press, whereas I needed to press the gain button several times to engage the higher output mode on the V2.

The sound is beautiful.  It's been two months and my sonic memory is not good enough to remember exactly how it compares to the old V2.  However, it seems that on the recordings that I first listened to it is a just a little more relaxed, just as detailed (but not etched or exaggerated), and definitely a little quieter.   Also the power output on the lower gain mode seems more robust, being able to drive my high impedance HD 800's better than I remember the V2 being able to do.

Overall, I would say that the casework and buttons by themselves were more than worth the price of the upgrade.  Any sonic improvements are just icing on the cake.  When I get together with my nephew again I will compare it directly to the sound his non-upgraded V2.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #969 of 1,391
I will have BOTH the standard V2......AND.....the V2 Infinity back from the 2A upgrade in the next few weeks.  Before I sent them in, I had just received the Infinity model new a few days prior.  Honestly, the Infinity had a whole level of refinement above/over the standard V2.  The decay, delicacy, nuance, lack of congestion, and the emotional connection to the music were all there in spades with the Infinity model.  I don't know how else to describe these things.  Once you hear the Infinity, there's no going back to the standard V2.

Now, the question remains:  After the 2A upgrades, with the Infinity model hold it's edge over the standard V2?  If it does, I will highly recommend people upgrade to the Geekout Infinity 2A.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I want to know if anyone has heard the new portable DAC/AMP from Apogee called the "Groove"?  Some of the highlights of it's design are:   

Constant Current Drive™

Make any Headphones Sound their Best
Groove’s Constant Current Drive output stage dynamically compensates for the nonlinearities – acoustic, mechanical or electrical – of any connected headphones, resulting in lower distortion and a more linear frequency response. Whether listening through earbuds or “hi-fi” headphones, you’ll discover a new level of fidelity, clarity and detail.

Quad Sum DAC™
Groove also features a Quad Sum DAC design which employs four digital-to-analog converters per channel to achieve the highest dynamic range and lowest distortion (THD+N) of any device in its class.

ESS Sabre DAC Technology

ESS Sabre32 32-bit Hyperstream DAC with Time Domain Jitter Eliminator offers unequaled dynamic range, ultra low distortion, and unmatched audio clarity free from input jitter.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #971 of 1,391
On another note, my V2 is starting to warp from the heat. The bottom where the seam is in between the jacks is starting come apart. Not very happy with this.

Original V2 or upgraded V2A? Cheers

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #973 of 1,391
absolutely agree that the v2A is a big improvement over the v2, both in packaging and sound.
it is now in the v.9 version of my car music server.

3TB hard drive ==> Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE ==> geekout v2A ==> aux in of car stereo, control via squeezer app on android phone connected to TP-Link wr802N nano wifi router which also acts as dhcp server.

pix attached, schematic to follow

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #974 of 1,391
absolutely agree that the v2A is a big improvement over the v2, both in packaging and sound.
it is now in the v.9 version of my car music server.

3TB hard drive ==> Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE ==> geekout v2A ==> aux in of car stereo, control via squeezer app on android phone connected to TP-Link wr802N nano wifi router which also acts as dhcp server.

pix attached, schematic to follow

[ATTACHMENT=3253]mcar-1.jpg (87k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3254]mcar-2.jpg (83k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3255]mcar-3.jpg (89k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

That's cool. Have you ever considered adding a turntable as well?

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #975 of 1,391
I spoke to Matt in technical support at LH Labs regarding using the GO2A to drive the Beyerdynamic T1 600ohm headphones. 

His reply was,

"The new GO2A can produce up to 6.6V in high gain compared to the earlier 4.4V. This is a massive increase!
If you were to get the 600ohm headphones, your output would be roughly 72mW would, to my opinion isn't enough."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back