LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #631 of 1,391
  Concur. Glad you like it! 

And regarding Luna, I've had them come in anywhere from 1.5-3.5 weeks. 

I'm really just shocked!

I cannot put enough 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
 to express how different this is sounding. This is it! This is the sound I've been looking for in a USB DAC/AMP for the past year!

I had no clue the amp running balanced would make such a change...

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #632 of 1,391
  I'm really just shocked!

I cannot put enough 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
 to express how different this is sounding. This is it! This is the sound I've been looking for in a USB DAC/AMP for the past year!

I had no clue the amp running balanced would make such a change...

Which of your cans are you using? The AKG's or the HD's perhaps?

I've used mine with both the LCD-3's and K10s and the V2+ Inf. I have runs them both very well. 

Cheers 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #633 of 1,391
Ha, I've almost exclusively listened balanced with the V2 I've had on loan, must listen single-ended to see what I haven't been missing out on. I know that Purrin definitely felt significant improvement listening balanced.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #634 of 1,391
  Which of your cans are you using? The AKG's or the HD's perhaps?

I've used mine with both the LCD-3's and K10s and the V2+ Inf. I have runs them both very well. 

Cheers 

I'm using HD650, which I personally find more tricky to sound "good".
I have HE1K too that are balanced, but those sound pretty good with a lot of different things.

I'll be bringing this to a meet in 2 days, where I know there will be at least an Audeze LCD-X if not plenty of other balanced headphones. Now I'm looking forward to it!

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #635 of 1,391
Were you guys making a basic attempt to volume-match when comparing between the SE and balanced outputs? Because as simple as this sounds, often people can get fooled into thinking something sounds better just because it's louder. I don't doubt that the V2 must sound a great deal better on balanced out, but just how much can be more accurately determined if at least making a basic attempt by memory to reduce the volume to the same from when it was playing it on balanced.

BTW @sheldaze, which meet are you going to in two days? I'm co-organizing the SF local fall meet this Saturday

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #637 of 1,391
  BTW @sheldaze, which meet are you going to in two days? I'm co-organizing the SF local fall meet this Saturday

Other side of the country - DC area meet, which I think is basically people from Maryland and Virginia. Though we have had a few people venture from further.

ADD: And if I can add, I generally listen to headphones over a longer span of time. Regardless of volume, I was having a high frequency sound I did not like, when listening to the V2 single-ended. At the end of the evening of listening to the V2 in balanced, I would still rate the Mojo better. But it is considerably closer with comparison of the balanced output of the V2 versus the Mojo.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #638 of 1,391
  Really wondering if you think the the mojo still sounds better than the v2 balanced....once your cable comes for your k10s :)

Me too! 
L3000.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #641 of 1,391
  Did you mean to say the Mojo sounds better SE than the v2 balanced? It looks like the Mojo is only SE

If you're referring to my post earlier, I'm saying I'm waiting to see how the Mojo compares to the V2+ Infinity. I want to test them both at their "best" so that will be Mojo in SE operation (the only option) against the V2+ in balanced. Currently I only have a 2.5mm TRRS cable for my K10's and awaiting a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS converter that I'm having made. 

Cheers 

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #642 of 1,391
I dunno... had a Chord Hugo. I'm far, far more impressed by the V2 than I ever was by the Chord. The V2 has an amazingly natural sound to it that I'm not used to hearing from portable gear, especially in the treble. It's a shame that LHL has burned so many bridges with the way they've run their campaigns and whatnot. Even friends whom I've referred the V2 to, have issues with even entertaining one due to being burned by LHL or just purely out of principle. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #643 of 1,391
  I dunno... had a Chord Hugo. I'm far, far more impressed by the V2 than I ever was by the Chord. The V2 has an amazingly natural sound to it that I'm not used to hearing from portable gear, especially in the treble. It's a shame that LHL has burned so many bridges with the way they've run their campaigns and whatnot. Even friends whom I've referred the V2 to, have issues with even entertaining one due to being burned by LHL or just purely out of principle. 

That's the great thing about the Mojo. While I respected the Hugo, I was never in love with the sound (or the price). The Mojo is a sound that I find much more enjoyable, musical and engaging in a smaller package that is truly portable and also costs 1/4 of the price of the Hugo. Homerun from Chord IMHO. Cheers 

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #644 of 1,391

That's the great thing about the Mojo. While I respected the Hugo, I was never in love with the sound (or the price). The Mojo is a sound that I find much more enjoyable, musical and engaging in a smaller package that is truly portable and also costs 1/4 of the price of the Hugo. Homerun from Chord IMHO. Cheers 

Certainly share both your thoughts, to me it's a matter of experiencing different DAC implementation that counts, I have gone to a few right now but I always like to add to my collection, I guess I have a thing for DACs. What I am after is the 9018Q2M from the V2 and the mojo FPGA. Reading a load of impressions about FPGA based DACs it seems it's always something to try/own, the problem with that is there always seem to be at the high end of the scale due to their properties. Now that Chord has made it more affordable, that's changing the game and allow them to be more widely used and owned hence its popularity. The Hugo was and is still popular but not within reach of the affordable.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #645 of 1,391
*Retracted*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back