LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Oct 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #617 of 1,391
FTM or TCM? The standard v2 doesn't have Femto clocks.

You are correct, there is no FTM mode for the v2. I was going off of memory and recalling one of the Pulse Infinity modes instead of Geek Out v2 modes.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #618 of 1,391
So in plain exact terms (sorry, again) I can just go with the V2 normal edition, and use the 100mW setting for either my 558s or 600s (not really interested in the 650s), from the looks of it. ?

edit: also changed to the .47 jack on your recommendation. Thanks!

As per the other poster, you should be fine.

The 100mW output is into 16ohm, so it will output less into your headphones 50ohm load (32mW, if my math isn't too terrible, which it very well could be given about 8 hours sleep over the last two nights). If you do the power calcs you only need 20mW to hit 120dB peaks for the 558 for the numbers you gave, so should be sufficient volume and headroom.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #620 of 1,391
tcm = minimum phase filter with less pre-ringing, frm = linear phase filter less phase distortion
Two digital anti–imaging filters are on offer, allowing you to trade frequency domain for time domain optimization. One filter mode is called TCM or “Time Coherent Mode,” the other FRM or “Frequency Response Mode.” Regarding TCM, Larry Ho tried to make the time domain behavior the best he could manage with the ESS DAC chip. “We try to make the impulse response as perfect as possible. In theory, NOS (non–over–sampling) will be the best in this field. Da Vinci and (a) few more DACs (also) perform well here…Pre–ring(ing) is one thing that we like to remove, but also minimize the post–ring(ing as well, making)…the sound even more relaxed/smooth.” According to Ho, the other filter mode, FRM, attempts to optimize frequency domain behavior by “…properly setting the roll–off frequency according to the sampling rate, fine (tuning) the pre-ring and post-ring behavior…and also tweak(ing) the FIR/IIR settings in DSD and PCM mode.” In FRM mode, the “…sound will become more ‘accurate’…and sounds nice for some type of music.” The FRM mode provides slightly lower harmonic distortion and noise (THD+N), because the intermodulation distortion (IMD) at higher frequencies is reduced due to high frequency artifact optimization.

the difference is subtle, I'm using frm

edit: more info on digital filters here http://dspguru.com/dsp/faqs/fir/properties

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #621 of 1,391
what's fun is switching between the headphone out of my dell xps 15 and the GeekoutV2 and listening to how good the GeekoutV2 sounds :)

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #622 of 1,391
  tcm = minimum phase filter with less pre-ringing, frm = linear phase filter less phase distortion
Two digital anti–imaging filters are on offer, allowing you to trade frequency domain for time domain optimization. One filter mode is called TCM or “Time Coherent Mode,” the other FRM or “Frequency Response Mode.” Regarding TCM, Larry Ho tried to make the time domain behavior the best he could manage with the ESS DAC chip. “We try to make the impulse response as perfect as possible. In theory, NOS (non–over–sampling) will be the best in this field. Da Vinci and (a) few more DACs (also) perform well here…Pre–ring(ing) is one thing that we like to remove, but also minimize the post–ring(ing as well, making)…the sound even more relaxed/smooth.” According to Ho, the other filter mode, FRM, attempts to optimize frequency domain behavior by “…properly setting the roll–off frequency according to the sampling rate, fine (tuning) the pre-ring and post-ring behavior…and also tweak(ing) the FIR/IIR settings in DSD and PCM mode.” In FRM mode, the “…sound will become more ‘accurate’…and sounds nice for some type of music.” The FRM mode provides slightly lower harmonic distortion and noise (THD+N), because the intermodulation distortion (IMD) at higher frequencies is reduced due to high frequency artifact optimization.

the difference is subtle, I'm using frm

edit: more info on digital filters here http://dspguru.com/dsp/faqs/fir/properties

Thanks for the explanation :)

I was switching back and forth and the green light mode seems a wee bit sharper to me (more treble). But it was slight, not really night and day. 
I guess that goes with what you were mentioning in your explanation :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #623 of 1,391
You should be using the 0.47ohm output for your 558, by the way. It sounds softer and more laid back with the 47ohm output because it's badly mismatched with the headphones 50ohm impedance. That causes wonky frequency responses in dynamic drivers like the 558, most often causing woolly bloated bass, that robs it of impact.

So I've tried both outputs frequently, and I honestly prefer the 47 ohm output with these headphones. The .47 is more dynamic and pops more, but I really prefer the more laid back smooth sound signature it's giving me with the 47 ohm. I'm continuing to use both but I dunno, the one mentioned really agrees with me.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #624 of 1,391
So I've tried both outputs frequently, and I honestly prefer the 47 ohm output with these headphones. The .47 is more dynamic and pops more, but I really prefer the more laid back smooth sound signature it's giving me with the 47 ohm. I'm continuing to use both but I dunno, the one mentioned really agrees with me.

Well you're getting a very coloured sound that way, but hey, if you like it that's all that matters.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #625 of 1,391
^^ not much volume either.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #626 of 1,391
Is anyone having any trouble with their GOV2 starting to come apart? I think the heat is starting to melt the glue, and my case is coming apart. The usb is getting really, really wiggly as well. I don't plug it straight into the computer, I use a small usb extension cord so it is very safe. It never has felt overly hot? But the case is coming apart. Weird. If you are having any issues please chime in. Thanks. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #627 of 1,391
No issues here. I use it at 100% volume most of the time feeding a speaker amp too. 1.5 ft USB extension cord connecting it to my laptop

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #628 of 1,391
Oddly I got two shipment notices from Luna, October 9 and then also October 14. Assuming the second notice was the actual shipment, it took 21 days to arrive.

::

I must say, I feel this box is not the same running balanced! The slight edge of harshness I heard in single-ended is not at all there, during this, my initial listening today. Balanced playback truly elevates this to an entirely new level. I will need to re-adjust my thoughts regarding how good this is. I am much more pleased with the balanced performance than I had anticipated!

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #630 of 1,391
  Oddly I got two shipment notices from Luna, October 9 and then also October 14. Assuming the second notice was the actual shipment, it took 21 days to arrive.

::

I must say, I feel this box is not the same running balanced! The slight edge of harshness I heard in single-ended is not at all there, during this, my initial listening today. Balanced playback truly elevates this to an entirely new level. I will need to re-adjust my thoughts regarding how good this is. I am much more pleased with the balanced performance than I had anticipated!

Concur. Glad you like it! 

And regarding Luna, I've had them come in anywhere from 1.5-3.5 weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back