LG V30
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #5,701 of 6,140
So u rip them from SACD? I want DSD but nativedsd doesnt have my kind of music. But maybe it is easier to find a SACD of my music?

Ok, now I have got hold of a LG G8X. Actually, the phone is on its way and may be reaching home by tomorrow. Personally I was pretty happy with my Vivo NEX S & LG V30+'s, catering two opposite poles of sound signature. However, during the Diwali festival season in India (Oct-Nov), e-commerce giant Flipkart (owned by Walmart) was offering some awesome deals on smartphones.

Among them the one that caught my eyes as a music lover was the flash sales of LG G8X. This phone with the dual screen case normally retails for $745 [INR 55,000] in India. During the sale period and card offer combined I was able to buy one for just $245 [INR 17,998]. This is a flat $500 [INR 37,000] discount! Ultimately I bought one at a heart beat.

And for $245 dollars, this flagship grade G8X will annihilate any smartphone left, right & center that are available on Indian context. Mind you we get the dual screen case for free with this phone at such a discounted price! LG India later confirmed they did a business of around $50 million in first 12 hours of the sale and sold some 150 hundred thousand units in that 12 hours time frame only. I will update once I get the device. I pray GOD that it comes preinstalled with Android 9. Native DSD playback support is a must for me.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #5,704 of 6,140
I'm not really an Android person so have a few questions about the V30.

1. In 'About Phone' I can see that I am running Android version 8.0.0. I believe this is Oreo so should support Bluetooth LDAC. How can I check for updates for the OS? I don't see a 'check for updates' button. My LG V30 is an unlocked phone and I believe it notified me of one OS update quite some time ago.

2. I am testing out Bluetooth audio with a view to using LDAC in the future. Is there a way that I can ensure that the V30 is using the best possible BT codec? My amp supports AptX but I have no idea if the V30 is using AptX. It is connected fine via Bluetooth but I don't know if I'm getting the best sound quality that the V30 is capable of.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #5,705 of 6,140
I'm not really an Android person so have a few questions about the V30.

1. In 'About Phone' I can see that I am running Android version 8.0.0. I believe this is Oreo so should support Bluetooth LDAC. How can I check for updates for the OS? I don't see a 'check for updates' button. My LG V30 is an unlocked phone and I believe it notified me of one OS update quite some time ago.

2. I am testing out Bluetooth audio with a view to using LDAC in the future. Is there a way that I can ensure that the V30 is using the best possible BT codec? My amp supports AptX but I have no idea if the V30 is using AptX. It is connected fine via Bluetooth but I don't know if I'm getting the best sound quality that the V30 is capable of.
Hi.
1. On my V30, it's located in the LG Update Center.
There you've to choose "Software update".
I'm on Android 9 with security patch level "Nov 1st 2019".

2. In bluetooth settings, you're to select your preferred bluetooth connection.
"Best stabilty = sbc,aac,aptx"
"Best quality = ldac, aptxHD"

If you need a more stable connection in best quality, you should rename you phone to force aptxHD, if possible by the receiving device.
"V30noldac"

Works for me on my BTR5. :)

You can check the used codec in developer settings.
For Ldac, you're able to set a fixed bitrate, but i'd recommend to leave it on "best effort".

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #5,706 of 6,140
@Chris Kaoss Many thanks. Okay, I've got 'Developer options' enabled now and I can see that aptX was selected when I was streaming music to my amp. When the Bluetooth connection is disconnected then the options switch back to defaults for Bluetooth Audio Codec and Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality.

As for OS updates, in 'Update centre' --> 'Software Update', my last update was 28 May 2019. If I select 'Check now for update' it says "You are using the latest software version for current OS", This is confusing as it's the OS I'm trying to update.

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #5,707 of 6,140
Hmm.
Mine is unlocked too.
This is my software information:
Screenshot_20201114-202152.png

Since you're in the UK, you should be able to get the EU-version also.

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #5,708 of 6,140
@Chris Kaoss Many thanks. Okay, I've got 'Developer options' enabled now and I can see that aptX was selected when I was streaming music to my amp. When the Bluetooth connection is disconnected then the options switch back to defaults for Bluetooth Audio Codec and Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality.

As for OS updates, in 'Update centre' --> 'Software Update', my last update was 28 May 2019. If I select 'Check now for update' it says "You are using the latest software version for current OS", This is confusing as it's the OS I'm trying to update.

There are several versions of the V30 (H930DS, H930K, H931, H933, V300 S/K/L, LS998, VS996, H930G, H930, VS996, H932, US998). Do you know which one you have? The update process can be different based on model and original carrier. For example, the unlocked (not US Cellular) US998 has to be updated manually and some carriers (i.e. AT&T) only send updates to phones with active SIM cards. For Europe, you may have an H930 variant, depending on where/how it was purchased.

https://lg-firmwares.com/series/lg-v30/

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #5,709 of 6,140
There are several versions of the V30 (H930DS, H930K, H931, H933, V300 S/K/L, LS998, VS996, H930G, H930, VS996, H932, US998). Do you know which one you have? The update process can be different based on model and original carrier. For example, the unlocked (not US Cellular) US998 has to be updated manually and some carriers (i.e. AT&T) only send updates to phones with active SIM cards. For Europe, you may have an H930 variant, depending on where/how it was purchased.

In the hardware info section it says Model Number: LG-H930DS

I don't think it's a UK model - it was purchased off eBay brand new but I think it's a Far East version. It has a UK SIM card in it. It's an LG V30+.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,710 of 6,140

Ha.
You're right.
My bad. I'm on H930.
Too much different models out there.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,712 of 6,140
@Chris Kaoss and @rlw6534 I may leave things as they are as the phone is working great. I should be able to test LDAC next weekend. It's a phone that's only really used as a DAP. I've seen a few websites on how to do a manual upgrade of the V30 firmware and I fear I may end up bricking the phone!

If it has two SIM slots, it is definitely H930DS. I'm pretty sure that is the only one that does. You can update to Pie using a computer but I would strongly recommend using the same region/carrier version that you currently have to prevent issues with cellular carrier bands. Perhaps there are some preinstalled apps that can help with that (i.e carrier bloatware). The phone can also be rooted but that is much more dangerous territory.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #5,713 of 6,140
In the hardware info section it says Model Number: LG-H930DS

I don't think it's a UK model - it was purchased off eBay brand new but I think it's a Far East version. It has a UK SIM card in it. It's an LG V30+.
H930DS is the dual-SIM model sold in India and South East Asia.

As @rlw6534 posted, the update process depends on model and carrier. They mostly don't come directly from LG and depend on the current SIM. Many models can be updated using LG Bridge software on a PC. This is a completely official and very safe process.

Pie is the last for all V30 models (outside of custom ROMs).

I have a US998 on Pie (30b) and one on latest Oreo (20h). The latter is my preferred. LG did an amazing job with Oreo on V30. Once we got to Pie, their focus was elsewhere, with some oversights and snafus.

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #5,715 of 6,140
Just out of interest, is there a 'better' LG phone than the LG V30 in terms of sound quality?

I haven't listened to them all, but the V30 through the V50 all used the same audio hardware/DAC so I expect they are similar. The V60 uses a different Sabre DAC and lost MQA compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back