LG V30
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #5,671 of 6,140
What is an good upgrade from IE800 or something similar/worth trying if IE800 is your go to IEM?
Its ships on Saturday or monday . an DHL says 8-16 days in shipment. Graph looks great. If u contact them now they maybe have some left with discount:)
I played around with custom ROMs a while back (both 9 and 10) but ended up back on stock Pie, bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk. This way everything works, Netflix HD, FM radio, etc...

If you are like me you'll probably try anyway... Good luck! :wink:
Don't upgrade. Android 10 breaks bitperfect DSD playback.
Hello! Has anyone here decided to go with android 10 instead of 9? I have 9, but im a little divided if i should update or not! Want some tips:)

Here's my answer: **No freaking way** would i do it if not forced by my carrier--which unfortunately I was with my V40. As mentioned above, LG screwed the pooch with the A10 upgrade as it messes with DSD--more specifically it will no longer play them natively and will instead convert to PCM. Why the hell would i want to do that??

I also hate the bloated app changes---like the blobby camera interface and to me it just seems more dragged down now.

I almost tried to hunt down an unlocked V40 just to avoid this---but decided there's just too much choice of new devices (including the Wing) now.
Thanks guys! My V40 is European and unlocked. I managwd to stop the android 10 update when it was 5% downloaded ( That was lucky since i was asleep when the update came a month back). Is there a way to remove that prompt? Cause it is showing on my alerts all the time and its a little annoying. Tried to google but it seems i have to backup my phone to google disk or something and turn of auto updates. Then install the backup? I habe never tried DSD files before.

Will it show as DSD on UAPP? Maybe i have to try the free DSD files and 2L recording site and check if there is a audible difference to me:)

Do you guys hear the difference from flac and DSD? How and where do i get DSD music except from nativedsd.com( is it that the site is called)?

And at last: Is there a different app like uapp that i can use? Is that neutron? I meant that i have read that there is another app that lg quad dac users use and some says it sounds better? Just curious of the UI. Im dependant /want a "similiar artist/album" funtion.

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #5,672 of 6,140
Thanks guys! My V40 is European and unlocked. I managwd to stop the android 10 update when it was 5% downloaded ( That was lucky since i was asleep when the update came a month back). Is there a way to remove that prompt? Cause it is showing on my alerts all the time and its a little annoying. Tried to google but it seems i have to backup my phone to google disk or something and turn of auto updates. Then install the backup? I habe never tried DSD files before.

Will it show as DSD on UAPP? Maybe i have to try the free DSD files and 2L recording site and check if there is a audible difference to me:)

Do you guys hear the difference from flac and DSD? How and where do i get DSD music except from nativedsd.com( is it that the site is called)?

And at last: Is there a different app like uapp that i can use? Is that neutron? I meant that i have read that there is another app that lg quad dac users use and some says it sounds better? Just curious of the UI. Im dependant /want a "similiar artist/album" funtion.

Try AIMP. Takes full advantage of the quad dac as far as I know. Free and with pretty good UI.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aimp.player

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #5,674 of 6,140

Hi.
For me, there's no audible difference between dsd and good flac's, beside the different masters.
So it doesn't bother me any longer. :)

You can try poweramp as a good alternative to UAPP if you want to play around. :wink:

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5,675 of 6,140
@scottm18: Can't you roll back using LGUP and the Pie KDZ file? That doesn't require bootloader unlock or root, just an LGUP for your phone model. I am not read up on V40 but certainly with V30 you can. I'd be surprised if not for V40 as well.

@W1ll1eTheP1mp: As for updating to 10, those audio issues are well described in the V40 and UAPP threads. I'd definitely avoid it, even if it was offered for V30 - which it isn't, except as custom ROM.

Does Android 10 actually convert DSD to PCM or just transmit it as DoP? If the latter, then it won't affect audio quality, since it's not a conversion as such.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,676 of 6,140
Try AIMP. Takes full advantage of the quad dac as far as I know. Free and with pretty good UI.

FWIW, pretty much all player apps take advantage of the Quad DAC. It would take some serious hacking for an app NOT to use it. A few apps are stupid, and downsample HiRes to 48KHz, but that's rare (Qobuz and Amazon HD come to mind).

The biggest problem is most apps are unable to avoid upsampling of 16/44 (Redbook) to 48KHz. To my knowledge only UAPP and Neutron do it well. PowerAmp CAN do it, but last I checked only if you set it to convert EVERYTHING to 24/44 -- so you have to change settings whenever you switch between Redbook and HiRes.

I don't know if AIMP handles that, but it requires specific knowledge of LG phones to get it right (converting 16/44 to 24/44 on the fly and playing it as Direct path with the offloadable flag).

@Chris Kaoss: Have you checked PowerAmp more recently to see if they improved on their handling of this? Lots of people prefer their UI to UAPP, so it would be great if they have. Thx.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #5,677 of 6,140
FWIW, pretty much all player apps take advantage of the Quad DAC. It would take some serious hacking for an app NOT to use it. A few apps are stupid, and downsample HiRes to 48KHz, but that's rare (Qobuz and Amazon HD come to mind).

The biggest problem is most apps are unable to avoid upsampling of 16/44 (Redbook) to 48KHz. To my knowledge only UAPP and Neutron do it well. PowerAmp CAN do it, but last I checked only if you set it to convert EVERYTHING to 24/44 -- so you have to change settings whenever you switch between Redbook and HiRes.

I don't know if AIMP handles that, but it requires specific knowledge of LG phones to get it right (converting 16/44 to 24/44 on the fly and playing it as Direct path with the offloadable flag).

@Chris Kaoss: Have you checked PowerAmp more recently to see if they improved on their handling of this? Lots of people prefer their UI to UAPP, so it would be great if they have. Thx.
No, sorry.
Since i've been using uapp, i didn't reviewed poweramp.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #5,679 of 6,140
I'm considering buying a V30 to use as a dap. If I purchase it does it need to be unlocked or can I buy one like this off of Amazon and just remove the SIM card? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZZKMG...colid=2J5KV0VXAHRD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That particular listing is for the H932 T-Mobile variant of V30. It is the most locked down of all variants, both when it comes to carrier unlock and rooting. The listing specifically says that the phone only works with T-Mobile, meaning it has NOT been carrier unlocked. There is no way to unlock H932 except with T-Mobile's Device Unlock app. You might see internet unlock services claim that they can unlock it with a code - and they're lying. They can't, not this model.

IOW you will NOT be able to use this phone on other carriers.

If you don't care about phone service, I guess no problem. Still, I would look for better deals on models that are not as locked down. Any model is better than H932 in that regard.

I bought two unlocked V30+ US998 (converted from LS998) from eBay seller YYwireless in January this year for $120 each. They've been excellent. The seller had thousands of them, but they're probably gone now.

V30 is actually going up in price on the used market. It's a great device, and many are looking to use it as DAP or backup phone.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #5,680 of 6,140
That particular listing is for the H932 T-Mobile variant of V30. It is the most locked down of all variants, both when it comes to carrier unlock and rooting. The listing specifically says that the phone only works with T-Mobile, meaning it has NOT been carrier unlocked. There is no way to unlock H932 except with T-Mobile's Device Unlock app. You might see internet unlock services claim that they can unlock it with a code - and they're lying. They can't, not this model.

If you don't care about phone service, I guess no problem. Still, I would look for better deals on models that are not as locked down. Any model is better than H932 in that regard.

I bought two unlocked V30+ US998 (converted from LS998) from eBay seller YYwireless in January this year for $120 each. They've been excellent. The seller had thousands of them, but they're probably gone now.

V30 is actually going up in price on the used market. It's a great device, and many are looking to use it as DAP or backup phone.
I can understand the rise in value since the v series is better than most of the DAPs

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #5,681 of 6,140
I'm considering buying a V30 to use as a dap...

This V30+ US998 on Swappa seems reasonable at $104. US998 is LG's open market, carrier unlocked variant for the US. According to imeipro.info this one is a converted LS998 (Sprint model) but that is the same with most US998 being sold nowadays. The nice thing about those is they're all V30+ (128GB).

https://swappa.com/listing/view/LUJZ11829

Of course I cannot vouch for its condition: You'd have to trust the seller and the Swappa return policies. I would inquire about its software state: Which Android version, is it stock OS, and whether it was rooted in the past -- which is OK, as long as it wasn't messed up and is clean now. The state of its battery is worth asking about too.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #5,682 of 6,140
Does Android 10 actually convert DSD to PCM or just transmit it as DoP? If the latter, then it won't affect audio quality, since it's not a conversion as such.

Sometime ago I made a deep down on the subject of "native DSD playback" on smartphones.

First, "DSD over PCM" (DoP) is "native" DSD. I believe all smartphone manufacturers who touts their phones are native DSD playback compatible uses DoP to transmit DSD data. In DoP, DSD data is sent in a containerized PCM format from the music player (LG's default player, UAPP) straight to the inbuilt DAC. Or the USB port. The trick here is to fool the phone's Android OS audio stack and playback system into letting it pass DSD data as PCM. With DoP, a phone thinks it is playing PCM files but it is actually playing DSD.

In DoP, the DSD data isn't altered or changed in anyway, its pure. The DoP compatible music player (UAPP) is actually converting the very high frequency binary digits of the DSD file stored in phone memory (DSF/DFF) on real-time to a continuous encoded PCM stream and sending it straight to DoP compatible inbuilt DAC or USB port. In short, DoP is a PCM container of raw DSD stream.

The advantage of DoP is the "extra processing" required for this PCM containerization by music player is negligible. The downside of DoP protocol is it requires markers during DoP encoding to identify the signal as DSD by the DAC, so using this protocol requires double the bandwidth compared to the native DSD signal alone. This reduces the maximum DSD frequency that can be used with DAC by half. This may explain why a DSD256 stream capable DAC can stop at DSD128. If we think of DoP from PCM perspective in which it is transmitted, it requires high rate PCM capability for those who want to be able to playback high rate DSD files.

1) DSD64 requires a 176.4kHz PCM package
2) DSD128 requires a 352.8kHz PCM package
3) DSD256 requires a 705.6kHz PCM package

As an example let us consider the LG V30+. It comes with ESS ES9218P SABRE audio chip with following audio playback support:

a) PCM: 32-bit @ 384kHz
b) DSD Stream: DSD256

By now I think all have understood LG is using DoP protocol for native DSD playback. All owners of V30/V30+ (myself included) knows the phone support native DSD playback of upto DSD128. This is because playback of DSD128 using DoP encoding requires 352.8kHz PCM package while the DAC maxes out at 384kHz. Any higher like DSD256 playback are not supported by the DAC in DoP protocol as it will require 705.6kHz PCM package.

Hope I made myself clear. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #5,684 of 6,140

I would purely be using the V30 as a DAP so I don't need any service on it but I do use Verizon as my carrier. I assume then that any of the locked phones have bloatware on them. Do the unlocked versions that aren't US998 come with any bloatware? Ideally, I'd like to buy a new V30 and I saw a few on eBay and they were unlocked, just not the US998 version.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #5,685 of 6,140
I have my V30 (T-Mobile) from day one.
I only use it as DAC for audio now.
Deleted as much as I can from the phone using Package Disabler Pro.
*With WiFi Calling, I can still use it for calls in an emergency. (No SIM)

I just recently picked up the Sony Xperia 1 II and the only thing lacking is the DAC compared to the LG V series.
Overall, it does "everything" I need since I'm a Content Creator.
The Xperia 1 II is "almost" the most perfect phone for me...I just wished it had the HiFi Quad DAC from the LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back