LG V30
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #4,457 of 6,140
lg 30+ is so neutral to my ears I have to boost bass response via Neutron which gives some extra noise. want some V shaped sound via my HD688B. Probably I have to upgrade headphones, even tho heard hd668b's is all u need. Using Neutral/Short filtering, 50+ impedance, HIFI enabled

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #4,458 of 6,140
lg 30+ is so neutral to my ears I have to boost bass response via Neutron which gives some extra noise. want some V shaped sound via my HD688B. Probably I have to upgrade headphones, even tho heard hd668b's is all u need. Using Neutral/Short filtering, 50+ impedance, HIFI enabled

Did you try the the Bass Sound preset under Quad DAC settings? I would give that a shot before injecting Neutron (or any) EQ into the mix, since that preserves a Bit Perfect path all the way to the DAC, and only effects the increased bass coloring in the final D-A conversion stage. But of course I am guessing you already tried that and it wasn't enough...

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #4,459 of 6,140

I found the V30 to not be a particularly good match with my HD6XXs. My DT990 Pros work much better with the V30 in my opinion.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #4,460 of 6,140
Did you try the the Bass Sound preset under Quad DAC settings? I would give that a shot before injecting Neutron (or any) EQ into the mix, since that preserves a Bit Perfect path all the way to the DAC, and only effects the increased bass coloring in the final D-A conversion stage. But of course I am guessing you already tried that and it wasn't enough...

I’m in a similar situation and found that Neutron bypasses those DAC settings - no effect on sound
Signature.

Maybe UAP can do it by I don’t have that.
Can someone please confirm if Quad DAC settings are carried through to UAP playback ?

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #4,461 of 6,140
I’m in a similar situation and found that Neutron bypasses those DAC settings - no effect on sound
Signature.

Maybe UAP can do it by I don’t have that.
Can someone please confirm if Quad DAC settings are carried through to UAP playback ?
UAPP is working fine with the quad dac, i am getting Direct native bit rate and depth for all files, even there's an option to unfold MQA to full res. It works with tidal and all local files i throw at it. Not tried DSD yet.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #4,462 of 6,140

Bass preset removes strong vocals and make them dark. Neutral preset is perfect with slight bass addition.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #4,463 of 6,140
Signature.

That is surprising. I didn't think there was any way for audio coming through the DAC to bypass those settings -- except when playing MQA or DSD which don't use them.

Bass preset removes strong vocals and make them dark. Neutral preset is perfect with slight bass addition.

Understood!

UAPP is working fine with the quad dac, i am getting Direct native bit rate and depth for all files, even there's an option to unfold MQA to full res. It works with tidal and all local files i throw at it. Not tried DSD yet.

I assume you are referring to the MQA flag under UAPP Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags. From correspondence with Davy Wentzler (UAPP Dev) it is my understanding that that flag works by forcing on an MQA flag in UAPP calls to the Quad DAC driver -- which in turn enables full MQA unfolding and processing by the DAC, and is what we want. UAPP keeps this flag on (as long as set in UAPP Settings) even when playing non-MQA files, which Davy informed me is per MQA/Stuart/Meridian recommendations. The result is that the Quad DAC Sound preset and Digital filter are NOT available, even when playing Redbook files: Trying to change them will trigger the "Cannot apply sound preset/digital filter to DSD or MQA files" message -- again, even when playing non-MQA/DSD files.

Not a problem for me, as I use the Neutral Sound preset & Sharp Digital filter already, which seems to be what is applied when playing MQA anyway. I believe if the MQA flag is NOT set in UAPP, it permits the app to do its own unfolding, EQ'ing and other processing of the audio stream. Something I don't want, but which others may in order to tweak the sound signature.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #4,465 of 6,140
I'm really liking this a lot.

Really standout features:

• It plays direct to dac, whatever I seem to throw at it including all Flac at all resolutions at least up to 24/192 level and 1 bit DSF files (Ill have to dig out some 352khz flacs and DSD128 files and try them)
  • The ample power and control it has over both my IEMS and my full size T1's; 600ohm, over ear beasts
  • I can stream Tidal with top SQ (including MQA unfolds), for the first time, as if it were music playing directly from a card on board (thanks to direct, strong, mobile connection).
  • Superb sound quality as good as my X7ii I would say and not far off the Mojo.
  • Lovely vibrant detail screen and fluid response
  • It's also got a great camera and video functions
  • It's a phone :)
It's a gamechanger for me for sure.

I don't want to knock the Fiio, as it's a great player in it's own right, but the V30 blasts it in every area except (maybe) basic sound quality. The V30 has better (and MUCH better in many cases) interface, software, power output handling (viz the stock amp on X7ii), screen, file format handling, full MQA support (non existant on the X7ii), internet interface (much more reliable), fluid ergonomics, flexibility for mult-tasking and so on.

I'm not one to sell products, so Ill have to think of a use for the X7ii :) - first world problems!!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #4,466 of 6,140
As several of us are reporting, the V40 just doesnt have the same wow factor as the V30. It also has several more useless sound options cluttering the DAC options page, which also may be messing with the sound. I'm still burning in the V40 but from what I've heard so far...I'm not very impressed.

By the way, I'm using Pioneer Master-SE1 headphones, which are incredibly revealing. Don't listen to Tyl at IF and others that blast these--if you are in the market, give them a try from a returnable source as they sound just amazing with the V30, so I can just imagine an even better source. They are meticulously made in Japan to last forever and list for $2500, but several sources (Pioneer, B&H, Bestbuy) have them for $1800 now. Your not going to be wearing them around town that's for sure so they do need a 3.5mm adapter off the stock cable...but man are they impressive, especially bass for an open air model. I have everything from Senn 6xxx all the way to HiFiMan X v2 and I'll be selling them all as these are my end-game.

Pioneer Master SE-1? Wow nice.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,467 of 6,140
What Kind of impedance do you need to trigger high impedance mode? I have 2 headphones with an impedance of 50 Ohms. Im sure this was talked about before. I tried searching the thread but it was a mess :wink:

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #4,470 of 6,140
If your lucky, 40 to 50 ohms will trigger high-impedance. My 45ohm Pioneers are triggered 90% of the time.

IMHO, related to the Sennheiser comment, the V30 does not put out enough volume for the 300ohm HD-6XX.
i like the 90% part :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back