LG V30
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #4,486 of 6,140
This is why I kept the G7 as a DAP after switching to the Pixel 3XL.
A Pixel 3XL?!? Noooooooooooo! I'm afraid I wouldn't pay a cent for a phone that has no headphone socket. Maybe people can tolerate the dongle's SQ, but I tried using Google's USB-C -> 3.5 mm dongle for analog (mic) input and it's horrible. They've added some ridiculous low-pass filter to it. This isn't progress. The loss of the headphone socket has made no-one's life better. Unfortunately, we're a gullible species...

this-is-our-best-iphone-yet-we-changed-the-shape-3634077.png

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #4,488 of 6,140
A Pixel 3XL?!? Noooooooooooo! I'm afraid I wouldn't pay a cent for a phone that has no headphone socket. Maybe people can tolerate the dongle's SQ, but I tried using Google's USB-C -> 3.5 mm dongle for analog (mic) input and it's horrible. They've added some ridiculous low-pass filter to it. This isn't progress. The loss of the headphone socket has made no-one's life better. Unfortunately, we're a gullible species...

Hahaha. But this is also exactly the other reason why I kept the G7 as a DAP.

The Pixel does every single thing better except the following 3: SQ, BT audio management and screencaps.

We all know the V series and G7 completely annihilate the latest Pixels when it comes to SQ. No argument. I keep the dongle and USB-C earbuds as backup but that's it.

BT management: One of the things I miss from day-to-day use on the G7 is the ability to switch between audio output while connected to a BT device (in this case, my car) right from the notification shade.

As for screencaps, LG's 'second screen' widget was really handy when it came to taking/sharing screenshots. You can share screenshots without them being saved unnecessarily to the device.

After that, the Pixel really does everything better. Without a doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #4,489 of 6,140
I am still getting to grips with my LG30. It's quite extraordinary the way it drives my Beyerdynamic T1's.

The soundstage and detailing is razor sharp. It's really crazy stuff. It's so precise. It's stomping over the Mojo which is rather puzzling/worrying.

It may not be natural in comparison, but it's certainly wholly engaging.

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #4,490 of 6,140
I am still getting to grips with my LG30. It's quite extraordinary the way it drives my Beyerdynamic T1's.

The soundstage and detailing is razor sharp. It's really crazy stuff. It's so precise. It's stomping over the Mojo which is rather puzzling/worrying.

It may not be natural in comparison, but it's certainly wholly engaging.
Hmm, so i dont understand... I have v30 and pioneer xdp-300r. Comparing both from SE output, the 300r sounds better than v30 (with Poweramp installed on LG). It has better separation in mids, more air, better organised soundstage, I would call it a "more advanced" sound. Comparing V30 to Pioneer from ballanced output in ACG mode, doesnt make even sense. At the same time, many people on head-fi writes that mojo sounds better than xdp-300r. So according to many reviews, pioneer sounds better than V30, which sounds better than mojo which sounds better than pioneer... LOL

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #4,491 of 6,140
Hmm, so i dont understand... I have v30 and pioneer xdp-300r. Comparing both from SE output, the 300r sounds better than v30 (with Poweramp installed on LG). It has better separation in mids, more air, better organised soundstage, I would call it a "more advanced" sound. Comparing V30 to Pioneer from ballanced output in ACG mode, doesnt make even sense. At the same time, many people on head-fi writes that mojo sounds better than xdp-300r. So according to many reviews, pioneer sounds better than V30, which sounds better than mojo which sounds better than pioneer... LOL
Right, it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm just enamoured by the "hifi" sound of it, and I'll come back to earth soon :)

EDIT... I notice you say you are using Poweramp. That's not optimal is it? I'm not a teccie but doesn't Poweramp use the Android system which screws up the sound somehow? Converts all to 16/48 by default? I use UAPP only.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #4,492 of 6,140
Hmm, so i dont understand... I have v30 and pioneer xdp-300r. Comparing both from SE output, the 300r sounds better than v30 (with Poweramp installed on LG). It has better separation in mids, more air, better organised soundstage, I would call it a "more advanced" sound.

Try using UAPP or Neutron app for Bit Perfect output from V30 to get a proper comparison.
Will be interested to hear your opinion after that.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #4,493 of 6,140
Try using UAPP or Neutron app for Bit Perfect output from V30 to get a proper comparison.
Will be interested to hear your opinion after that.
Hi, thanks for an advice, I will try today. I've tried Neutron, UAPP (which I bought hearing that it uses ESS chips) and Poweramp on the pioneer. For me all of them sounded good but the native Pioneer app has better separation and more air. All of those 3rd party apps produced really nice, little warmer and bassier sound but were lacking this specific airiness. I will try UAPP on V30, maybe this device will benefit from this app more.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #4,494 of 6,140
Hahaha. But this is also exactly the other reason why I kept the G7 as a DAP.

The Pixel does every single thing better except the following 3: SQ, BT audio management and screencaps.

We all know the V series and G7 completely annihilate the latest Pixels when it comes to SQ. No argument. I keep the dongle and USB-C earbuds as backup but that's it.

BT management: One of the things I miss from day-to-day use on the G7 is the ability to switch between audio output while connected to a BT device (in this case, my car) right from the notification shade.

As for screencaps, LG's 'second screen' widget was really handy when it came to taking/sharing screenshots. You can share screenshots without them being saved unnecessarily to the device.

After that, the Pixel really does everything better. Without a doubt.

The V30 is a better phone than the Pixel 3 and its not a badly designed ugly thing either. Some people are so gullible.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #4,495 of 6,140
To all those saying 'this' sounds better than 'that', it truly is the combination of components that matter.

My V30 sounds excellent, paired with my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250s, playing good FLAC files, in the rock/metal genres, using my worn out old ears.

My V30 sounds dull and lifeless paired with my Sennheiser 6xxs, playing good FLAC files, in the rock/metal genres, using my worn out old ears.

My Topping D3 sounds underwhelming, paired with my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250s, playing good FLAC files, in the rock/metal or pop genres, using my worn out old ears.

My Topping D3 sounds beautiful and 'musical', paired with my Sennheiser 6xxs, playing good FLAC files, in the rock/pop genres, using my worn out old ears.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #4,497 of 6,140
..I will try UAPP on V30, maybe this device will benefit from this app more.

Great. I was suprised to hear the sound difference between using Jetaudio and switching to UAPP.

I should have also added to maks sure the V30 is running in high ohm mode ie with greater than 50ohm headphones . Otherwise use the hack with 3.5mm right angle adapter or short extension cable to force v30 into higher fidelity mode.

Look here for tips on UAPP setup and more .

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #4,498 of 6,140
I can't imagine there are really significant audible differences among well done phones that would survive properly done, multiple trial blind listening tests, but anyway ... Another very good music player is Onkyo HF Player. I used Neutron for years and loved it, but as far as I can tell in terms of sound quality I think HF Player is just as good plus it has an easier to use interface (IMO) and a solid EQ for those who like to or need to tweak. I am enjoying my G6 as a source.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #4,499 of 6,140
.. I used Neutron for years and loved it, but as far as I can tell in terms of sound quality I think HF Player is just as good plus it has an easier to use interface (IMO) and a solid EQ for those who like to or need to tweak. I am enjoying my G6 as a source.

Does it natively work with the built in LG DAC and offer bit perfect audio ?

Also with Neutron you have to get the correct setup which is not very straight forward.
I have swapped over to UAAP and its so much easier to get great sound from it with relative ease. On not so positive side UAPP needs more polishing of its basic features such as playing a genre by track list.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,500 of 6,140
I agree with @Marmite that pairing by itself can make or break audio satisfaction.

But as a personal reference, I returned my Mojo after careful listening sessions because it did nothing (as in nothing) that my V30 didn’t do, apart from driving difficult cans that I don’t have. I find the V30’s signature more interesting than the schoolboyish Mojo too, although I can appreciate the latter’s faithfulness and technical competence.

I also sold off my Pioneer XDP-100r, but that was more delicate because I did find it ever so slightly better than the V30, pretty much along the lines you mention. This was before I discovered the awesomess of UAPP as a Tidal player on the V30, which I’m sure (although I couldn’t compare directly bc the Pioneer was already off my hands) brings the V30 to the 100r’s level.

But the 300r indeed remains an interesting proposition for V30 owners, from memory it is slightly better controlled and more articulate than the 100r single-ended, and I could never test its balanced output but I hear only great things about it. It also goes some way towards correcting the 100r’s lack of power (the V30 is actually much more powerful). I’m sure I would like it better than the Mojo! Which for me is a fine, but overpriced and overvalued device.

Ultimately though I would never go back to the Pioneers and their antiquated Android version, with no mobile streaming and bugs with excellent SD cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back