LG V30
Nov 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #4,441 of 6,140
Yes, Tidal offline/downloaded MQA tracks also play correctly. I use that a lot myself. In fact, I am listening to this Bruckner recording right now, sounds great!

This is major! Brilliant news. I am really looking forward to filling up one of my 400gb cards with Masterly wonderfulness :). They must have updated the app? Early reports ref the Master+V30, indicated that once downloaded, the offline content reverted to HiFi (ie 16-44)

Thanks for that great news!

And thanks for your comprehensive post!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,442 of 6,140
This is major! Brilliant news. I am really looking forward to filling up one of my 400gb cards with Masterly wonderfulness :). They must have updated the app? Early reports ref the Master+V30, indicated that once downloaded, the offline content reverted to HiFi (ie 16-44)

Thanks for that great news!

And thanks for your comprehensive post!

You're very welcome. I am sure you'll enjoy your V30. It's a great time to buy it!

I'm fairly new to Tidal, so cannot say if they used 44/16 for Downloaded tracks in the past. In fact, I think it goes against Stuart/Meridian's strict MQA licensing to ever store MQA encoded content.

All I know is that as of a few weeks ago (when I tested this) the Tidal app plays Downloaded Master-tracks using the DIRECT audio path, with a sample rate of 44100 Hz, AND it triggers the aforementioned DSD/MQA error message if trying to change Quad DAC setting. All of which are signs of MQA goodness. AND it sounds great!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #4,443 of 6,140
hi, new to this thread. so i own v30+ and wondering if i can hook an amp without bypassing the dac ? AFAIK the dac is the special thing about v30 and thinking about slapping a fiio amp to it to drive my bigger impedance headphone. is that a good idea ? what cable do i need ?

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #4,444 of 6,140
hi, new to this thread. so i own v30+ and wondering if i can hook an amp without bypassing the dac ? AFAIK the dac is the special thing about v30 and thinking about slapping a fiio amp to it to drive my bigger impedance headphone. is that a good idea ? what cable do i need ?
No reason why you can't pop an amp in the chain, via the 3.5mm out from the phone. I used my Fiio X3 with E12 amp to great effect, and also with phones to boost. The E12 will run my T1's with no bother. I use a short connector 3.5mm to 3.5mm right angled, 10cm. Works brilliantly. I don't know what impedance will be triggered by the inline attachment of the amp though. I hope to get my V30 today, ill run some tests when I get settled with it, with the E12.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #4,445 of 6,140
No reason why you can't pop an amp in the chain, via the 3.5mm out from the phone. I used my Fiio X3 with E12 amp to great effect, and also with phones to boost. The E12 will run my T1's with no bother. I use a short connector 3.5mm to 3.5mm right angled, 10cm. Works brilliantly. I don't know what impedance will be triggered by the inline attachment of the amp though. I hope to get my V30 today, ill run some tests when I get settled with it, with the E12.

isnt that double amping ? i also own the fiio x3m2 btw u wont be dissapointed by the v30 sq. am thinking to use the v30 as main player but i think it needs more power to drive full size headphones.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #4,446 of 6,140
isnt that double amping ? i also own the fiio x3m2 btw u wont be dissapointed by the v30 sq. am thinking to use the v30 as main player but i think it needs more power to drive full size headphones.
No idea on the terminology :) - I just know it worked well for me in the past. Thanks for your comment on the V30 sq. Im eagerly waiting for the message it's arrived!

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #4,447 of 6,140

Nope, V30 plugged to an external amp will trigger itself into AUX mode. That's the way it meant to be working.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #4,450 of 6,140
I have done it all (well not all, but I've tried quite a few combos)... Fiio X3, Fiio X7ii, Fiio E12 amp, Chord Mojo + Fiio X3, Chord Mojo with a range of Phones, now I am getting a V30 because I want to have a single device to rule them all. Great sound, Great screen, convenient. All these are important longterm factors. Im fed up with cables hanging off things, rubber bands to hold things together, weighty lumps in my pockets, etc etc. (EDIT:Not to mention glitchy software, and poor interfaces on dedicated DAPs.)

Imho give the V30 a try!

Yep...even if the sound was slightly worse (which it isn't), the form factor/ease of use/etc. was enough for me. Luckily, these phones sound as good if not better than mid-level DAPs. Then...having to add an amp/cable/rubber bands to be able to enjoy my tougher to drive cans was basically adding insult to injury...great product!

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #4,451 of 6,140
OK, so I've just unboxed mine.

Brilliant. Really pleased.

Confirmed:

1) Tidal masters work both for streaming AND for offline listening woohoo.
2) Works great with my Beyerdynamic T1's - 600ohm phones. Better than my Fiio X7ii with AM3 module.

Got the UAPP app going with tidal and local files. Working fine.

It sounds very good indeed. Very natural. Spacious sound stage.

I really like the form factor, and weight. It's really a great device!

Life is good.

PS... It's actually surreal thinking this is a phone.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #4,452 of 6,140
OK, so I've just unboxed mine.

Brilliant. Really pleased.

Confirmed:

1) Tidal masters work both for streaming AND for offline listening woohoo.
2) Works great with my Beyerdynamic T1's - 600ohm phones. Better than my Fiio X7ii with AM3 module.

Got the UAPP app going with tidal and local files. Working fine.

It sounds very good indeed. Very natural. Spacious sound stage.

I really like the form factor, and weight. It's really a great device!

Life is good.

PS... It's actually surreal thinking this is a phone.

Weight is surreal regarding battery life and output power :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back