LG V30
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #4,171 of 6,140
Hi bob,

I own the V30 currently. I would say between the two to get the V30. Although the G7 is newer and has the newer SnapDragon 845 processor chip (V30 has the 835), the V30 has a MUCH better rated and FANTASTIC battery life per GSM Arena (which I trust THE MOST for their very logical battery testing methods). It's also cheaper too. See this comparison here for more info. NOTE the difference in battery life, which is at the very bottom of the comparison.

BOTH phones have the same Quad DAC and filters as well, so sound-wise they're equal.

Not sure on camera of G7 if it's any better than V30, but I doubt it really. The camera is prob the weakest thing about the LG phones. In most cases though the pics come out pretty nice, and the wide angle lens (2nd lens) is very cool too.

After about a year most phones' battery life diminishes. I've noticed recently after having had the V30 about 11-12 months that the battery life isn't AS good as it was before, but still pretty strong overall I think. Plus you have battery saver which is helpful too when needed. One feature I love with HTC, LG, and Sony phones is that under Settings....Call.....More....Gestures you can activate the "Answer incoming call" option which automatically answer a call when you put the phone up to your ear (it must be flat on its back when you pick it up for it work) WITHOUT the need to swipe first. Definitely check that out.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I was leaning toward the G7 but you have given me something else to consider. The V40 us coming out on October 18 and I'm hoping the 30 and G7 drop in price.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #4,172 of 6,140
HEy I want to buy the IE 800 , and i have the LG v30 , and the Dragonfly Red dac, how the LG v30 sound quality vs DFR with ie800 ? the lg v30 are good pair with Ie 800 ?
Doesn't make any sense to purchase the dfr if you get v30 imho unless you like wasting money. Just wondering why you're purchasing ie800 when there's so many better options for any reason sometimes even for less?

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,175 of 6,140
You're quite welcome!

Yeah they will, for sure. Count on it! lol
I love LG devices, But the v40 doesn't seem that appealing at all. When I bought the v10 it was a flagship killer at $600 including free bonuses. Now they're bragging about the cameras and they want $900 to start. I can get a maxed out Note 9 with 512gb ram from amazon for around the same price.

Someone at Lg is smoking crack right now. And crack kills!

CU2Ixa

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #4,176 of 6,140
I love LG devices, But the v40 doesn't seem that appealing at all. When I bought the v10 it was a flagship killer at $600 including free bonuses. Now they're bragging about the cameras and they want $900 to start. I can get a maxed out Note 9 with 512gb ram from amazon for around the same price.

Someone at Lg is smoking crack right now. And crack kills!

CU2Ixa

Yeah I'm not too impressed either. Camera review I saw on YouTube basically shows even with 5 lenses the camera is still just alright at best. They need to work on improvements not gimmicks.

The camera quality on the V40 I saw in that video review was NOT worth no $900. lol

It's cool that they went from B&O to Meridian cuz isn't Meridian considered a better audio company? But still, F $900. lol

Yeah Note 9 would be the better buy overall. You can just an external amp/DAC device like the DFR or Sabaj Da2 or Da3, or else really great "semi-wireless/BT" ones like the Radsone ES100 or Shanling M0, or else pricier BT ones like the Ampio G1 or top-notch (but very pricey at $400 lol) iFi xDSD.

Yeah they are. lol

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #4,177 of 6,140
Hi bob,

I own the V30 currently. I would say between the two to get the V30. Although the G7 is newer and has the newer SnapDragon 845 processor chip (V30 has the 835), the V30 has a MUCH better rated and FANTASTIC battery life per GSM Arena (which I trust THE MOST for their very logical battery testing methods). It's also cheaper too. See this comparison here for more info. NOTE the difference in battery life, which is at the very bottom of the comparison.

BOTH phones have the same Quad DAC and filters as well, so sound-wise they're equal.

Not sure on camera of G7 if it's any better than V30, but I doubt it really. The camera is prob the weakest thing about the LG phones. In most cases though the pics come out pretty nice, and the wide angle lens (2nd lens) is very cool too.

After about a year most phones' battery life diminishes. I've noticed recently after having had the V30 about 11-12 months that the battery life isn't AS good as it was before, but still pretty strong overall I think. Plus you have battery saver which is helpful too when needed. One feature I love with HTC, LG, and Sony phones is that under Settings....Call.....More....Gestures you can activate the "Answer incoming call" option which automatically answer a call when you put the phone up to your ear (it must be flat on its back when you pick it up for it work) WITHOUT the need to swipe first. Definitely check that out.

Hope that helps!

Or you can lower the screen resolution to 1080p.

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #4,178 of 6,140
To go old-school (and many including me say BEST school): is this the same 'Meridian' designer that developed the awesome MLP format used in the tragically lamented DVD-Audio discs? Trivia: Did you guys know that MLP format morphed into the current Dolby TrueHD encoding?
I remember. I had dvd-audio player, great format killed by mlp

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,182 of 6,140
Yeah I'm not too impressed either. Camera review I saw on YouTube basically shows even with 5 lenses the camera is still just alright at best. They need to work on improvements not gimmicks.

The camera quality on the V40 I saw in that video review was NOT worth no $900. lol

It's cool that they went from B&O to Meridian cuz isn't Meridian considered a better audio company? But still, F $900. lol

Yeah Note 9 would be the better buy overall. You can just an external amp/DAC device like the DFR or Sabaj Da2 or Da3, or else really great "semi-wireless/BT" ones like the Radsone ES100 or Shanling M0, or else pricier BT ones like the Ampio G1 or top-notch (but very pricey at $400 lol) iFi xDSD.

Yeah they are. lol
Plus with note 9 you get 8gb of ram and 512gb of memory. And from what i heard so far the sound is pretty good.

Comparison, the v40 has a measly 64gb of storage for the same price. How the heck can a company brag on being a beast of a device with only 64gb of storage????? Flac files, wma files and video files will have that trash crashing on the first day. Also, microsd cards aren't reliable at all.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,183 of 6,140
Also, microsd cards aren't reliable at all.

If you buy cheap no-name brand microsd cards, sure. I've yet to have a microsd card go bad in any phone. IMO, as long as the phone has a microsd card slot, the amount of internal storage isn't an issue. I usually buy the cheapest phone variant with the lowest amount of internal storage. Replacing a microsd card, if needed, is infinitely cheaper than replacing a phone.

From a bang-for-the-buck perspective, assuming you are not tied to a carrier contract, buy a refurbished phone. I do tracfone pay as you go, since I am a low minutes and texts user, so it is infinitely more cost effective to buy my own phone than pay $50-100 a month for carrier-subsidized phones. My actual charges from tracfone are $10-15 per month... which leaves a lot of money left over to purchase a phone.

When I decided to go from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to something with better audio quality, I ended up buying a refurbished LG V30 for $299. It arrived looking brand spanking new with not a hint of any use whatsoever. It's performed flawlessly thus far.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,184 of 6,140
Plus with note 9 you get 8gb of ram and 512gb of memory. And from what i heard so far the sound is pretty good.

Comparison, the v40 has a measly 64gb of storage for the same price. How the heck can a company brag on being a beast of a device with only 64gb of storage????? Flac files, wma files and video files will have that trash crashing on the first day. Also, microsd cards aren't reliable at all.

Yeah? I dunno....... I'm gonna need A LOT of convincing that Samsung's sound quality is ANYTHING near competitive to LG's. lol Especially if it's the U.S. Snapdragon-based ones. It REALLY annoys me that we get the crap sounding ones, meanwhile everyone else gets the Exynos-based ones that come with the high-end Cirrus Logic DACs. (But even those aren't said to be able to outdo the Quad DAC, but they come VERY close at least I believe.) But if you buy those to use in the U.S., they're not going to work as well as the U.S. version itself in terms of reception.

Yeah for $900 64GBs sux. Esp when the cameras are just ok. Well I've been using MicroSD cards for years now without ANY issues, so I can't agree there. But I know eventually I'll just be using the on-board memory.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,185 of 6,140
If you buy cheap no-name brand microsd cards, sure. I've yet to have a microsd card go bad in any phone. IMO, as long as the phone has a microsd card slot, the amount of internal storage isn't an issue. I usually buy the cheapest phone variant with the lowest amount of internal storage. Replacing a microsd card, if needed, is infinitely cheaper than replacing a phone.

From a bang-for-the-buck perspective, assuming you are not tied to a carrier contract, buy a refurbished phone. I do tracfone pay as you go, since I am a low minutes and texts user, so it is infinitely more cost effective to buy my own phone than pay $50-100 a month for carrier-subsidized phones. My actual charges from tracfone are $10-15 per month... which leaves a lot of money left over to purchase a phone.

When I decided to go from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to something with better audio quality, I ended up buying a refurbished LG V30 for $299. It arrived looking brand spanking new with not a hint of any use whatsoever. It's performed flawlessly thus far.
Yes i do the same thing. I usually buy refurbished. Heck, the note 9 is already down to $700 used on Amazon. That's the problem with the v40, they come out later than everybody else. By the time they announce thier phones, all the other phones are on sale or used or refurbished already. If they come to the game late, they need to really beef up the offer and reduce the price.

I think company execs lose common sense because they focus too much on what sheepos i mean iphone does. They try to match iphone and lose sight of their unique value proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back