LG V30
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #4,202 of 6,140
I had a Samsung S6 Edge (Exynos) and it sounded OK, but didn't go very loud. I'm sure Samsung (and most other brands) are fine with normal IEMs, but try to drive some proper headphones and LG's phones are the only ones worth considering.
Honestly with Samsung phones amplification power is not the only problem. Obviously with hard-to-drive gear you won’t get a peep. But the entire audio section is a trainwreck with so-called “normal” iems and headphones too. Robotic, non-musical; it’s what happens when you tune nothing and rely on basic functionality. The DAC converts. The amp amplifies. You hear sounds. Job done as far as they were concerned. You can’t show music on a presentation slide, and the majority of users will be satisfied as long as there’s bass, so it’s too much engineering overhead for too little return.

Marketing could save us paradoxically, if audio becomes a differentiating point, especially if Apple pushes it at some point, it will become a selling point again. Everyone will fight to have the best audio specs. But by the time this happens it wll be a battle fought entirely over Bluetooth.

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #4,203 of 6,140
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,204 of 6,140
well. today i tried again my lg v30 connecetd in analog to my sherbourn sr-120. this A/V amplifier in two channel mode is really impressive.
but more impressine IMHO is the lg v30. honestly for the price of aurender i´ll buy a stax sr-009 with a dac/amp using lg v30 like source:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #4,205 of 6,140
Oct 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,206 of 6,140
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #4,207 of 6,140
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,209 of 6,140
Meridian are better than B&O Play, who are a bunch of project managers in Singapore shouting at ODM factories in China. B&O in Denmark are very qualified, but shrinking in number year by year as people buy B&O Play thinking they are getting the full B&O quality. B&O head R&D are called in to some B&O Play products but you never know when. This may be why B&O and B&O Play have been merged.

I suspect Meridian have been called in to fully implement MQA and ensure the ESS chipset is incorporated with best practices. The sound of a DAC is influenced more by layout and power supply more than the number of bits.

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #4,210 of 6,140
Meridian are better than B&O Play, who are a bunch of project managers in Singapore shouting at ODM factories in China. B&O in Denmark are very qualified, but shrinking in number year by year as people buy B&O Play thinking they are getting the full B&O quality. B&O head R&D are called in to some B&O Play products but you never know when. This may be why B&O and B&O Play have been merged.

I suspect Meridian have been called in to fully implement MQA and ensure the ESS chipset is incorporated with best practices. The sound of a DAC is influenced more by layout and power supply more than the number of bits.
------------
There are measurements on that link. And they support what they've heard. How do you use the meridian with a mobile phone? I can not do it ..

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4,211 of 6,140
v30_v40.jpg
But this is not a nice future. The V40 has become so big. This is about Note 9 size.:triportsad:

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #4,214 of 6,140
Mlp was useless.

It WASN'T useless, as it predated FLAC and many others. It is less useful now. The flexibility allowed DVD A to exist. It is more efficient at hi res than most other lossless codecs.

It was devised by some of the finest audio theoreticians such as Peter Craven and Micheal Gezon.

Do you have any facts to back up your statement?

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #4,215 of 6,140
It WASN'T useless, as it predated FLAC and many others. It is less useful now. The flexibility allowed DVD A to exist. It is more efficient at hi res than most other lossless codecs.

It was devised by some of the finest audio theoreticians such as Peter Craven and Micheal Gezon.

Do you have any facts to back up your statement?
was useless in my opinion just because dvd-audio had space and capacity to store in one disc a hi-res files without the need of codecs and algorithm; just pcm. a coomercial gimmick that caused the death of dvd-audio and the short victory of sacd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back