LG V30
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #4,157 of 6,140
The Note 9, after fiddling with the software adjustments, sound about 80% as good as my V30+. That's actually not too shabby but I miss my V30's quad DAC and built-in MQA decoding on Tidal.

The one caveat with the Note 9 ( (besides being an overall better phone) is that it runs as a Roon endpoint very well. My V30 stuttered like crazy and drove me crazy. Maybe that's why I got the Note 9.

LOL...

If Samsung EVER gets a decent DAC, LG is DONE. As in COOKED...as least for me...
:)

BTW, the desktop experience with the Note 9 is INSANE. I think I can ditch my laptop...seriously...it's that good. If I could use it as a Roon core, I'd be in the hospital...in a good way...

Nice on desktop experience. Yeah the Samsung phones get better and better every year. I remember how awful my S5 that I kept for a whopping 4 days was lol, and my S7 that I had for 4 months that I hated too for various reasons including audio issues when dealing with external amp/DACs. lol

80% isn't bad, but for the price, it should sound even better than the V30. lol

Yeah that's the thing. The int'l Samsungs that run on Exynos get like Wolfson or else the newer ones I believe get Cirrus Logic DACs!! Meanwhile here we got integrated Snapdragon crap. But yeah you could buy an int'l and use it here, but it's NOT gonna run as well (if at all) as if you got a U.S. one b/c it won't have ALL the radio bands just some, and it may not have access to like VoLTE, etc. On T-Mobile, my carrier, you can't even access like their best radio band (Band 12/700 MHz) w/o VoLTE certification which must be done via T-Mobile (and costs money for OEMs to pay to). Band 12 has like twice the range of their standard bands and FOUR times the capability to pass through buildings & walls. For that reason, I skipped on the phone I really wanted to buy this year, the new Sony Xperia XZ3. No Quad DAC, but everything else on it is what I like. I was just gonna go back to using an external device again. But since Sony is too cheap to pay that certification fee, I said F 'em. lol Same with Samsung's Exynos line. I hope both companies come around, but if they do, watch out! Sony's sound quality is probably better than even the Exynos Samsungs, but I doubt as good as the Quad DAC. Though in the past Samsung's call quality was awful, the Note 9 review I read showed it was basically perfect like the XZ3's was (both per Phone Arena), though they did mention a "hint of distortion" with the Note 9's.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #4,158 of 6,140
Ahh...you made me laugh...thank you.

I know the Note 9 is 'tuned by AKG' which they bought out. I'm told it means the equalizing is more neutral or referencey - if that's a word... It sounds good - doesn't drive me away from using a plug straight into the phone.

Where did you hear it was tuned by AKG? Do you mean the speakers or headphone output or both?? What sux is for U.S. they're still using Snapdragon integrated crap amp/DAC vs. int'l Exynos ones that use f'ing Cirrus Logic. lol

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,160 of 6,140
Nice on desktop experience. Yeah the Samsung phones get better and better every year. I remember how awful my S5 that I kept for a whopping 4 days was lol, and my S7 that I had for 4 months that I hated too for various reasons including audio issues when dealing with external amp/DACs. lol

80% isn't bad, but for the price, it should sound even better than the V30. lol

Yeah that's the thing. The int'l Samsungs that run on Exynos get like Wolfson or else the newer ones I believe get Cirrus Logic DACs!! Meanwhile here we got integrated Snapdragon crap. But yeah you could buy an int'l and use it here, but it's NOT gonna run as well (if at all) as if you got a U.S. one b/c it won't have ALL the radio bands just some, and it may not have access to like VoLTE, etc. On T-Mobile, my carrier, you can't even access like their best radio band (Band 12/700 MHz) w/o VoLTE certification which must be done via T-Mobile (and costs money for OEMs to pay to). Band 12 has like twice the range of their standard bands and FOUR times the capability to pass through buildings & walls. For that reason, I skipped on the phone I really wanted to buy this year, the new Sony Xperia XZ3. No Quad DAC, but everything else on it is what I like. I was just gonna go back to using an external device again. But since Sony is too cheap to pay that certification fee, I said F 'em. lol Same with Samsung's Exynos line. I hope both companies come around, but if they do, watch out! Sony's sound quality is probably better than even the Exynos Samsungs, but I doubt as good as the Quad DAC. Though in the past Samsung's call quality was awful, the Note 9 review I read showed it was basically perfect like the XZ3's was (both per Phone Arena), though they did mention a "hint of distortion" with the Note 9's.
Hey, that's true, the int. versions seem to get better chips/features. Wow. A Note 9 with a wolfson DAC - oof. Although I think they got bought out by Cirrus Logic.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,161 of 6,140
Where did you hear it was tuned by AKG? Do you mean the speakers or headphone output or both?? What sux is for U.S. they're still using Snapdragon integrated crap amp/DAC vs. int'l Exynos ones that use f'ing Cirrus Logic. lol
Sorry, the stereo speakers on the Note 9 are 'tuned by AKG.' You can google that, it's there. Doesn't really mean that much actually as I never listen to music on the phone speakers.

Also, the AKG in-ears that Samsung included with the Note 9 is 'tuned by AKG.' LOL... They sound OK.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,163 of 6,140
Hey, that's true, the int. versions seem to get better chips/features. Wow. A Note 9 with a wolfson DAC - oof. Although I think they got bought out by Cirrus Logic.

It's some BS, isn't it cj3209?? lol

Yeah man....... I remember reading that years ago. Oh ok, so they were BOUGHT OUT by Cirrus Logic? Ok. Then that would explain why the newer ones are said to be utilizing the Cirrus Logic DAC chips. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #4,164 of 6,140
AFAIK, Bob Stuart/Meridian are the only developers of MQA, which is a semi-proprietary bag of sketchy tricks, whose main PR push has been for a lossy compression method for files that are (allegedly, maybe?) hi-res.

To go old-school (and many including me say BEST school): is this the same 'Meridian' designer that developed the awesome MLP format used in the tragically lamented DVD-Audio discs? Trivia: Did you guys know that MLP format morphed into the current Dolby TrueHD encoding?

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,165 of 6,140
Sorry, the stereo speakers on the Note 9 are 'tuned by AKG.' You can google that, it's there. Doesn't really mean that much actually as I never listen to music on the phone speakers.

Also, the AKG in-ears that Samsung included with the Note 9 is 'tuned by AKG.' LOL... They sound OK.

No big deal. Yeah the speakers are tuned by AKG, who made the K550, which was the first premium headphone (though third I'd owned) that REALLY sealed my fate to become an audiophile, or audiophile "lite". lol It just had such a great WIDE sound to it for a closed-back. I've since moved on, but for sure everything changed after I listened to Fleetwood Mac's "Crystal" in Hi-Res on that thing with an external amp (not even amp/DAC, just amp lol........though my old Xperia Z3 had a Dual DAC setup on it so it sounded pretty good).

Yeah I only do so much listening on the speakers too. The most is when I'm putting away laundry I'll go on my AccuRadio app or else Pandora and listen to the newest alternative bands out there. Love that. Going to see Meg Myers this Sat at Chicago House of Blues (might be sold out by now?) with some friends who got me into her. Incredible singer/songwriter. Check her out if you can.

Yeah I saw that too on the IEMs. As long as Samsung is using Snapdragon DACs no amount of tuning by AKG is gonna make any real difference IMO. lol

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4,166 of 6,140
I'm afraid only the bigwigs at LG can fill us in on that but it could be anything. Legal complications, different licensing stipulations... who knows.

Perhaps. But until I'm proven wrong, I have my suspicions. lol

It could just be it costs a lot more to certify for U.S. than other countries, but even that is a stretch to me.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #4,168 of 6,140
Was the B&O tuning to do with the bundled IEMs? I have a Hong Kong model with them, but have never taken them out of the box.
B&O is supposed to have tuned both the phone’s audio section and the iems bundled with the HK edition.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,169 of 6,140
This may have been asked many times but have not yet found any mention of how HD598s sound with the V30 or G7. I am in need of upgrading from the S7 Edge as battery life is terrible. Any thoughts? And any ideas in which of the 2 phones is better. Thanks

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #4,170 of 6,140
This may have been asked many times but have not yet found any mention of how HD598s sound with the V30 or G7. I am in need of upgrading from the S7 Edge as battery life is terrible. Any thoughts? And any ideas in which of the 2 phones is better. Thanks

Hi bob,

I own the V30 currently. I would say between the two to get the V30. Although the G7 is newer and has the newer SnapDragon 845 processor chip (V30 has the 835), the V30 has a MUCH better rated and FANTASTIC battery life per GSM Arena (which I trust THE MOST for their very logical battery testing methods). It's also cheaper too. See this comparison here for more info. NOTE the difference in battery life, which is at the very bottom of the comparison.

BOTH phones have the same Quad DAC and filters as well, so sound-wise they're equal.

Not sure on camera of G7 if it's any better than V30, but I doubt it really. The camera is prob the weakest thing about the LG phones. In most cases though the pics come out pretty nice, and the wide angle lens (2nd lens) is very cool too.

After about a year most phones' battery life diminishes. I've noticed recently after having had the V30 about 11-12 months that the battery life isn't AS good as it was before, but still pretty strong overall I think. Plus you have battery saver which is helpful too when needed. One feature I love with HTC, LG, and Sony phones is that under Settings....Call.....More....Gestures you can activate the "Answer incoming call" option which automatically answer a call when you put the phone up to your ear (it must be flat on its back when you pick it up for it work) WITHOUT the need to swipe first. Definitely check that out.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back