LG V30
Oct 1, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #4,126 of 6,140
LOL...true audiophiles don't use headphones! :ksc75smile:
Too true. I doubt any HPs would get even close to what I got with my DIY highend loudspeakers. The elements and crossover components were top notch, giving very low distortion. The boxes were so dead due to optimized support structure inside, and the crossover filter was optimized for like more than a year with simulations, measurements and most all the final tuning by ear. They were capable of flat room response to 16Hz, simply ceased to have any sound signature and as such just made me wanna listen to stuff like classical/jazz at realistic volumes.

In comparison, all HPs I've listened seem to distort a lot, have sound signature with none of em being neutral, have very strange soundstage, and lack so very very much in detail and transparency. HPs simply are just for casual listening. A fact which together with music streaming destroyed my way of listening. It used to be so focused, maxing the feel I got out of it, but when I got rid of the loudspeakers and switched to HPs it's been a far cry from that meditative extacy I used to get. It's more like background noise. I miss those days, that kinda listening just isn't possible anymore. :cry:

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #4,127 of 6,140
True audiophiles don't use smartphones...:wink::L3000:

Discerning audiophiles are long passed enjoying music; we simply want to listen to all the instruments in as detailed manner as possible.

ikp64611oawz.jpg

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #4,128 of 6,140
It probably doesn't exist
:) because there is no Sabre . Each 2017 model is equipped with V30 / 35 / G7.. ES9218p.
Other things came from the Sennheiser HD 660 S, something beautiful to play with the V30, much more friendly this 150 ohm than the HD 650 at 300 ohms.
v30 _HD660_1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #4,129 of 6,140
Oh man, I just used like 2h to optimize parametric EQ on UAPP for my HPs, there was especially lots of stuff happening between 3kHz-10kHz. Equalizing the critical band 1-10kHz close to flat within +-1dB improved the fidelity, the outing is way more transparent, realistic, lively and instruments sound way more like the real instruments, not like listening a HP. This was especially convincing on saxophone and piano, two of my favorite instruments. Drum transients also sound more realistic.

The EQ curve is between +-3dB with ups and downs. Non-parametric EQ could've never achieved this.

And about fidelity of EQ: Loudspeaker crossover design is based on EQ. You EQ out the response curve of the speaker elements to give the perfect target response. Without any EQ even the best of the best elements would sound junk. It's not about whether to use EQ, it's how and with what talent one uses it. I got engineering backgrounds so the design of EQ is basics for me.

Edit: Proof that I'm now close to neutral, even very slight 0.1dB changes sound dramatic in fidelity of piano. It used to be like that also when I was tuning the loudspeakers. Piano is so crazy precise of getting the 1-3kHz band perfectly flat to sound realistic.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #4,133 of 6,140
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #4,137 of 6,140

Use meridian to tune instead of B&O.

The sound probably warmer if they tune like their own dac.
And presumably a big marketing MQA push...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back