LG V30
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,346 of 6,140
Lol, maybe u just prefer sound signature of v30 more, because there is now screwing chance the v30 sounds better than mojo.. Tried all of them. V30 sounds definetely the worst of these 3. I can agree that the mojo is not for everyone (warm, thick sound, smaller soundstage). I'm a fan of brighter tuning with bigger soundstage, so i find xdp-300r perfect to me. And its not just an opinion- it is audible. So everyone has his favorite sound signature, many prefer for example musicality over technical sound, like lower rated shozy alien gold over xdp-300r. And its ok, i agree, shozy is way more musical and fun sounding but sound quality (reproduction of detail, layering, soundstage, instrument positioning) on pioneer is superior, so... Everyone chooses what he likes, but objectively..

Tell that to the guy who sold his Hugo 2 when he got the V30.

Or this guy:

"Forced to choose among listening through headphones to the LG V30 or to the Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier I reviewed in April ($24,900), or through loudspeakers to the Aurender A10 network music player/server ($5500) in my main system, I'd choose the LG V30."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/lg-v30-hi-res-smartphone-mqa-page-2#OiUrDRgwHRhFxDkM.99

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,347 of 6,140
Reading about these quad dacs doesnt make a sense. For great audio reproduction u need at least a good DAP. I really recommend Pioneer xdp-300r. Bought it after the A/B test of my lg v30 and (now mine as well:) pioneer xdp-300r. V30 sounds really good and even great for a smartphone but its sandy in the lower mids. I always had a feeling that there is sometthing wrong there. And i have a good pair of iems- Pinnacle P1 which are 50 Ohms, so the gain is automatically set on high. It was even worse than my old iBasso dx80 (but comparable). Now it's far behind my pioneer.
This type of post isn't helpful to anybody (apart from perhaps your own need for confirmation bias?). Let me explain why.

1) You say that quad DACs don't make sense, but dual DACs are legitimate? You can check ESS's specs on both - the V30's DAC actually has the better SNR:

V30 DAC: http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422

Pioneer XDP-300R DAC: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

Yes, I know the usual rebuttal is that it's all down to implementation and that Pioneer sacrificed a lot of chickens and have special black-magic voodoo code that makes it sound extra awesome. Sure. I don't dispute there are better-sounding devices than the V30. I own the QP1R which, to my ears, sounds better than the XDP-300R, but I would only give the QP1R a modest edge over the V30, so I'm not sure how you assess the "far behind" metric.

2) The V30 is fussy. You must use the right apps (Neutron or UAPP are your only choices) and you have to get exactly the right settings within those apps, or you'll end up degrading your audio through the Android mixer. Doing A/B comparisons via YouTube (I believe that was you, wasn't it?!?) won't cut it, because YouTube audio is poorly up-sampled on the V30.

3) I suspect your ears require some additional headroom that you're not getting from the P1 on your V30, even in high-impedance mode. Dedicated DAPs usually play louder than the V30, but this is going to be very headphone-dependent. I listen most of the time on volume level 1 (out of 75) in normal-device mode using my SE846. It's a different story with different headphones, and the V30 does fine for most portable headphones.

4) The whole point of the V30 is to not have to carry a second device. The V30 is a solid, reliable phone, which (unlike the XDP-300R) has excellent battery life. Telling us that our V30s sucks in comparison to your DAP is pointless unless your DAP can also make phone calls and send text messages?...

I think perhaps you're posting on the wrong thread.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #3,348 of 6,140
I have just downloaded UAPP to see how it compares against neutron. With my mutton ears I can't tell a difference but I do prefer the simplicity of the interface, and it is compatible with the car dashboard app I use which is a big bonus.

But one odd issue, having manually set the location of my music the album artist list is only about 25% of what it should be. The files are there, I can find the music through the album filter for example. Metadata seems fine, using the metadata reader within the uapp it shows that album artist info is there for files that are not showing up in album artist view. Anyone got any ideas?
It sounds like the scan didn't complete. Can you see all these tracks when browsing by folder? Maybe run a disk check on your SD card and then try re-scanning?

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,349 of 6,140
It sounds like the scan didn't complete. Can you see all these tracks when browsing by folder? Maybe run a disk check on your SD card and then try re-scanning?
I don't thing there is any issue with the scan. I can see a particular album under album view for example, but then going to album artist I cannot see the artist for that same album.

Having looked further into it, it seems I have a different naming convention with some albums which looks to be stacking up with those artists that are and those that are not visible under album artist view. It seem UAPP uses the file name rather than the metadata to organise the library. Not sure how easy it will be to correct the naming convention over my whole music library and various copies/backups, but it doesn't sound like fun!

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #3,350 of 6,140
ok, but....i had mojo, hugo and ibasso dx-200. remember that v30 is just a phone not an audiophile dap or a dac with fpga

I beg to differ. I compared the V20 (yes, V20, not V30) a year and a half ago to my old $300 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC, and to me it MATCHED what the Oppo was doing in terms of both quality and amp volume. So I sold it off. At the time my HTC 10 (also an audiophile phone) matched it, and I preferred the smaller HTC, so I returned the V20 and kept the 10. But now I prefer LG's phones so I have the V30. But point is the V30 is very much an audiophile phone.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #3,351 of 6,140
Tell that to the guy who sold his Hugo 2 when he got the V30.

Or this guy:

"Forced to choose among listening through headphones to the LG V30 or to the Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier I reviewed in April ($24,900), or through loudspeakers to the Aurender A10 network music player/server ($5500) in my main system, I'd choose the LG V30."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/lg-v30-hi-res-smartphone-mqa-page-2#OiUrDRgwHRhFxDkM.99

WOW!!! lol That's awesome! :L3000:

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,352 of 6,140
This type of post isn't helpful to anybody (apart from perhaps your own need for confirmation bias?). Let me explain why.

1) You say that quad DACs don't make sense, but dual DACs are legitimate? You can check ESS's specs on both - the V30's DAC actually has the better SNR:

Pioneer XDP-300R DAC: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

Yes, I know the usual rebuttal is that it's all down to implementation and that Pioneer sacrificed a lot of chickens and have special black-magic voodoo code that makes it sound extra awesome. Sure. I don't dispute there are better-sounding devices than the V30. I own the QP1R which, to my ears, sounds better than the XDP-300R, but I would only give the QP1R a modest edge over the V30, so I'm not sure how you assess the "far behind" metric.

2) The V30 is fussy. You must use the right apps (Neutron or UAPP are your only choices) and you have to get exactly the right settings within those apps, or you'll end up degrading your audio through the Android mixer. Doing A/B comparisons via YouTube (I believe that was you, wasn't it?!?) won't cut it, because YouTube audio is poorly up-sampled on the V30.

3) I suspect your ears require some additional headroom that you're not getting from the P1 on your V30, even in high-impedance mode. Dedicated DAPs usually play louder than the V30, but this is going to be very headphone-dependent. I listen most of the time on volume level 1 (out of 75) in normal-device mode using my SE846. It's a different story with different headphones, and the V30 does fine for most portable headphones.

4) The whole point of the V30 is to not have to carry a second device. The V30 is a solid, reliable phone, which (unlike the XDP-300R) has excellent battery life. Telling us that our V30s sucks in comparison to your DAP is pointless unless your DAP can also make phone calls and send text messages?...

My respect!!!

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3,353 of 6,140

Hello, thanx for the reply. I appreciate your long post, so I will answer in detail:

1. first of all I didnt say that the differance in sq is a night and day, but there is there, very clear for me. Please dont write that the differences are small, its obvious, even comparing iBasso DX80 to my father's 15 years old Harman Kardon stationary equipment, worth at that time over 2,500e (now he has way better stuff). This whole stuff won only in a bit better soundstage, everything else was for iBasso.

2. plz dont take my post as an offence, I know people are sensitive when it comes to their audiophile world. Most of them here spent 600+ usd for this phone, as i did. They want to be sure that it was well spent money. Hell yeah! This phone is awesome, I use it everyday..but not for music anymore.

3. I did A/B comparisons with my mini sd card, listening to various type of music, for example:
- Foals- in Hi-Res
- Pat Metheny, Imaginary Day- flac
- Editors, different albums, all in flacs
- Pink Floyd, The Division Bell- Hi-Res
- Blade Runner from Vangelis- DSD
- The Witcher 3 soundtrack- flac
- Bill Evans, Another Time, The Hilversum Concert- DSD
- You Tube, a couple songs, like Lullaby from The Cure, The Witcher 3 soundtrack, Extrawelt- Blendwerk II (Original Mix), The Next Little Thing and a couple more.

I did come to the store over 6 times, making auditions. And even when I was playing flacs from my sd card on V30, and same songs on Pioneer from YT, xdp-300r was a winner in instrument separation and having more mature saound. I'm really saying the truth, thats why i purchased Pioneer.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,354 of 6,140
One more thing: everyone knows that a DAC itself doesnt make the real difference, but the implementation.
You wrote that u have QP1R and its better, well I dont really think so. Both are on the same lvl when it comes to the sq. Tried this DAP and Pioneer suited me better, but im not saying that xdp-300r is any better. BUT the sound quality is on the same level, when v30 does not reach pioneer's level.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,355 of 6,140
I don't thing there is any issue with the scan. I can see a particular album under album view for example, but then going to album artist I cannot see the artist for that same album.

Having looked further into it, it seems I have a different naming convention with some albums which looks to be stacking up with those artists that are and those that are not visible under album artist view. It seem UAPP uses the file name rather than the metadata to organise the library. Not sure how easy it will be to correct the naming convention over my whole music library and various copies/backups, but it doesn't sound like fun!
I feel your pain. The problem is different DAPs and different Android apps can all do slightly different things with your metadata. The easiest thing was for me to organize everything on my SDcards into directories for artists, then sub-directories for albums. It takes some effort, but you only have to do this once, and then you can easily navigate by folders on every DAP/app :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,356 of 6,140
Here's my take...

I've had the LG V30 since December and I've tried replacing it with a few difference phones (iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, S9 and recently OnePlus 6). None come close to the V30 in SQ.

IEMs I've had for comparison: JH Roxanne 2, 64 U10, Andromeda, Jomo Samba, IE800, W80 and some others.

The V30 drive all of these just fine.

When compared to the DX200 on amp1 and amp3, V30 is a bit behind in soundstage (not as wide vs amp3 but very close to amp1 on SE). I sold the DX200 because I was planning to use the V30 with the Andromeda for commuting. Well I bought the WM1A shortly after :)

V30 is not close the WM1A in soundstage, warmth of vocals and sparkle on highs when comparing these 4 (W80, IE800, Andro and Jomo Samba). But heck, I don't expect the V30 to come close since the WM1A's sole purpose is music.

As some other posters have pointed out, you must use Neutron Player or UAPP to get the best sound out of the V30. Make sure the settings point to the ESS DAC and not let Android control it.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,357 of 6,140
V30 + IE800 combo today

Left the WM1A at home because the V30 pairs so well with the IE800

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #3,358 of 6,140
Here's my take...

I've had the LG V30 since December and I've tried replacing it with a few difference phones (iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, S9 and recently OnePlus 6). None come close to the V30 in SQ.

IEMs I've had for comparison: JH Roxanne 2, 64 U10, Andromeda, Jomo Samba, IE800, W80 and some others.

The V30 drive all of these just fine.

When compared to the DX200 on amp1 and amp3, V30 is a bit behind in soundstage (not as wide vs amp3 but very close to amp1 on SE). I sold the DX200 because I was planning to use the V30 with the Andromeda for commuting. Well I bought the WM1A shortly after :)

V30 is not close the WM1A in soundstage, warmth of vocals and sparkle on highs when comparing these 4 (W80, IE800, Andro and Jomo Samba). But heck, I don't expect the V30 to come close since the WM1A's sole purpose is music.

As some other posters have pointed out, you must use Neutron Player or UAPP to get the best sound out of the V30. Make sure the settings point to the ESS DAC and not let Android control it.

So what about Poweramp though? Can anyone here actually verify that if you use Poweramp it's not using the Quad DAC? The Quad DAC is enabled when I use Poweramp since I'm using a wired connection. I want someone here to actually say it's NOT using the Quad DAC and have actual facts to back it up. lol

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,359 of 6,140
So what about Poweramp though? Can anyone here actually verify that if you use Poweramp it's not using the Quad DAC? The Quad DAC is enabled when I use Poweramp since I'm using a wired connection. I want someone here to actually say it's NOT using the Quad DAC and have actual facts to back it up. lol
I stopped using poweramp awhile back since UAPP supports tidal streaming and MQA support.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,360 of 6,140
I stopped using poweramp awhile back since UAPP supports tidal streaming and MQA support.

That's cool. But I don't do either of those. I use Spotify now and then to preview albums that I wanna buy (or at parties), but that's about it. Only downloaded music really.

I have the Alpha 704 (experimental) version of Poweramp which has an "OpenSL ES Output" option which I have active. The AudioTrack Output which says it's for "Default Android audio API" is inactive. Not sure if that means anything though for this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back