LG V30
May 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,316 of 6,140
But the volume seems to be much lower on youtube than on say LG music app or google music app. Why is that so ?

In the YouTube app it doesn't seem to utilise the DACs volume control as it moves in steps of 5, i.e. you'll go from 30 to 35 to 40 etc. The apps I've used where it is used are UAPP, Tidal and, interestingly, Netflix.

May 29, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #3,317 of 6,140
In the YouTube app it doesn't seem to utilise the DACs volume control as it moves in steps of 5, i.e. you'll go from 30 to 35 to 40 etc. The apps I've used where it is used are UAPP, Tidal and, interestingly, Netflix.
Try dragging your finger on the volume slider. For some apps like Neutron and YouTube, you don't get that fine-grained control from the hardware volume buttons. It's all going through the quad DAC though :)

May 29, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #3,318 of 6,140
Ah, fair enough! I've just plugged my Denon MM400 in (32 Ohm) and it's activated the high impedance mode. No adapter and standard cable... I would unplug and try again to see if it does the same, but I don't want to lose it now xD

May 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #3,319 of 6,140
Does anybody here have a dragonfly red and an LG V30 ?

I can say that when I was using the Audeze Sine, the V30 by itself was inadequate (without the impedance hack, which is anyway untenable for everyday use). The DFR in that case was very much useful, and also just sounded better.

May 29, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,320 of 6,140
I played with the LG V30 and the DFR. I have no idea why, the output on USB is very low, even with volume pushed all the way.
It sounds great with my Iphone 5s, far louder. I really like the sound with the DFR and Tidal. Used it in my main system with 45 monos and Lowther Alnico OBs.
Does not sound as sophisticated as SACDs on my APL player, but the overall presentation is quite pleasant. I guess the LV V30 is not as forgiving, you don't get all the time this "warmish" sound with jazz and classical. Some MQA titles sound great. The UAPP app is supposed to make a difference, as long as you have a good wi-fi connection.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,321 of 6,140
Hi there, just my 2c on the matter.
I think 600 Ohm cans are a no go with V30.

The volume is indulgently moderate (at top volume notch) and although I haven't critically listened (on my BDT 880/600) that usually means clipping and reduced dynamic range, hence lower fidelity.
Maybe your 990 is more efficient, I don't know but at 600 Ohm I think the V30 is running thin.

However I bet this is not the use designers had in mind (nor planars) so this is a rather extreme pairing that should be avoided.

I hope this gives another perspective.

Cheers.

You are absolutely correct. 250 ohm is better than 600 ohm. Not twice as good, but definitely better.

Definitely a bit louder (which I like). The mids come alive with this. Bass is definitely appreciated.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #3,324 of 6,140
Just dropping in to say that sennheiser ie80 in ears and the v30 are a very happy marriage, I'm impressed! The V30 beats the fiio x3II by miles. It even drives the senn 650 somewhat decent!
It doesn't do everything right tho, the sony 1000xII wired sounded rubbish (can sounds very nice on some amps).

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,325 of 6,140
Hello everyone!

Quick question. Didn't see what I'm looking for mentioned, so I'm gonna ask you directly: I know HIM being enabled means ALL FOUR of the Quad DACs are utilized, and when it's in Normal Mode it's just the one DAC. But what about Aux Mode?! Are all four DACs utilized in Aux Mode, or just the one still?

If anyone knows this I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you respond to this post!

Thanks!!

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,326 of 6,140
Hello everyone!

Quick question. Didn't see what I'm looking for mentioned, so I'm gonna ask you directly: I know HIM being enabled means ALL FOUR of the Quad DACs are utilized, and when it's in Normal Mode it's just the one DAC. But what about Aux Mode?! Are all four DACs utilized in Aux Mode, or just the one still?

If anyone knows this I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you respond to this post!

Thanks!!
All three modes (aux/external device, normal and high-impedance) use the quad DAC pipeline. If you want to turn the quad DAC off, you need to do so in the settings, or use some legacy audio app (like making a regular telephone call), which drops back to just one pipeline to save power.

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,327 of 6,140
There is only one Sabre DAC. That Sabre DAC has multiple pipelines. To save battery, fewer pipelines are engaged when pcm audio files under 48khz 24 bit are played. The gain stage has nothing to do with piplines engaged.

If you turn off the Sabre DAC or don't use the headphone jack, the Qualcomm DAC is used instead.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,328 of 6,140
To save battery, fewer pipelines are engaged when pcm audio files under 48khz 24 bit are played.
@mlknez and I are having a little pm about this point. So far it's probably safe to say we agree to differ :wink:

I can find no difference in the output of 44/16 vs bit-padded, up-sampled 96/24 (Glass Hammer sell a bunch of fake hi-res tracks on Bandcamp if you're interested) and all HiFi DAC features are available when the HiFi DAC is active, regardless of sample rate or bit depth. The purpose of the multiple pipelines is to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. LG would be shooting themselves in the foot to cripple the most widely-used sample rate/bit depth combo. As of now, I see no evidence of only one pipe being active for 44/16 audio, but I will post back if I learn something new...

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,329 of 6,140
@mlknez and I are having a little pm about this point. So far it's probably safe to say we agree to differ :wink:

I can find no difference in the output of 44/16 vs bit-padded, up-sampled 96/24 (Glass Hammer sell a bunch of fake hi-res tracks on Bandcamp if you're interested) and all HiFi DAC features are available when the HiFi DAC is active, regardless of sample rate or bit depth. The purpose of the multiple pipelines is to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. LG would be shooting themselves in the foot to cripple the most widely-used sample rate/bit depth combo. As of now, I see no evidence of only one pipe being active for 44/16 audio, but I will post back if I learn something new...

Thanks everyone.

I've read some pro reviews stating that there are TWO factors that can switch the V30 from single to quad DAC (or quad pipelines??!)..........the size of the file, and the impedance of the headphones. I only use 256-512 kbps AAC files b/c I do not at all believe the same file being in FLAC matters, b/c I've downsampled FLAC files and they 100% always sound the same. It only matters if they're downsampled to mp3, which I avoid doing anyway. Studies have even been done that prove this as well.

But the fact is, those pro reviews have stated that when you have smaller file sizes and/or if you're in normal device mode, only 1 DAC/pipeline is activated. When in High Impedance mode (HIM), all 4 are activated. But no one seems to know what happens in Aux mode.

If you guys can figure it out or someone else sees this and knows, please reply and let me know. I always use my adapter to "trick" the V30 into Aux mode, even though my Bowers & Wilkins P7s (wired) are only 22 ohms. Though it's not a big deal, I'd like to know whether or not Aux mode is enabling Quad or not.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back