LG V30
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #3,331 of 6,140
Do you have links or references to these "pro" reviews? I think their writers need educating :wink:

Maybe? lol

https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-turn-on-and-make-sense-of-the-LG-V30s-Quad-DAC_id97750

"And lastly, the "Quad" part means there are actually four DACs stuffed inside a single chip. This lets you use a pair of high-impedance headphones (>50 Ohms), as the three extra DACs kick in only when connected to such a pair. This is designed with audiophiles in mind, as high-impedance headsets are usually much more expensive than regular ones."

There might have been another one but I can't find it now.

I guess HIM starts at 50 ohms, so Aux must be like 20/30-49 ohms?!! I dunno. I just wanna know if it kicks in the extra 3 DACs/pipelines or not.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #3,332 of 6,140
Maybe? lol

https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-turn-on-and-make-sense-of-the-LG-V30s-Quad-DAC_id97750

"And lastly, the "Quad" part means there are actually four DACs stuffed inside a single chip. This lets you use a pair of high-impedance headphones (>50 Ohms), as the three extra DACs kick in only when connected to such a pair. This is designed with audiophiles in mind, as high-impedance headsets are usually much more expensive than regular ones."

There might have been another one but I can't find it now.

I guess HIM starts at 50 ohms, so Aux must be like 20/30-49 ohms?!! I dunno. I just wanna know if it kicks in the extra 3 DACs/pipelines or not.
Nope. That article is unequivocally wrong.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #3,333 of 6,140

P.S. Normal device mode is i<50 ohm, high-impedance mode is 50 Ohm < i < 750 Ohm and aux/external is i > 750 Ohm, based on i measured on the left channel.

Quad DAC is active in all three modes, unless you turn it off.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3,334 of 6,140
P.S. Normal device mode is i<50 ohm, high-impedance mode is 50 Ohm < i < 750 Ohm and aux/external is i > 750 Ohm, based on i measured on the left channel.

Quad DAC is active in all three modes, unless you turn it off.

This is some WILD S*IT csglinux!! lol

So WAIT.............you're sayin' that Aux is actually the mode ABOVE high-impedance mode?!! Please confirm yes or no.

My LG Hi-Fi Status app says HIM is 50-600 ohms, which is pretty close to what you said. But since you measured it out I'll take your word over what it says. lol

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #3,335 of 6,140
This is some WILD S*IT csglinux!! lol

So WAIT.............you're sayin' that Aux is actually the mode ABOVE high-impedance mode?!! Please confirm yes or no.

My LG Hi-Fi Status app says HIM is 50-600 ohms, which is pretty close to what you said. But since you measured it out I'll take your word over what it says. lol
Aux/external device is above high-impedance mode in terms of detected resistance; it's below high-impedance mode in terms of output power.
The 600 Ohm demarkation is technically correct, because the specs say the V30 is supposed to work with headphones up to 600 Ohm. At 600 Ohm, you really would need the high-impedance mode and you wouldn't want to drop back to external-device mode if you re-wired your favorite headphones with a new cable that added 0.1 Ohm :wink: Line-out is essentially infinite (or very large) resistance, so 750 Ohm seems to be a built-in safety factor.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #3,336 of 6,140
Aux/external device is above high-impedance mode in terms of detected resistance; it's below high-impedance mode in terms of output power.
The 600 Ohm demarkation is technically correct, because the specs say the V30 is supposed to work with headphones up to 600 Ohm. At 600 Ohm, you really would need the high-impedance mode and you wouldn't want to drop back to external-device mode if you re-wired your favorite headphones with a new cable that added 0.1 Ohm :wink: Line-out is essentially infinite (or very large) resistance, so 750 Ohm seems to be a built-in safety factor.

Umm ok. lol So which one does the V30 go by then? Detected resistance, or output power, when determining the mode??

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #3,339 of 6,140
Annndd so much for an easy answer. lol j/k

But anyway, you also said you're 100% sure that all 4 DACs and/or pipelines are being used at all times (regardless of mode) based on your own measurements then??
That's correct. That's true even if you're using third party apps like Spotify or YouTube. The only real issue is Android mixer's up-sampling of 44 kHz/16-bit file formats. You can read more about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,340 of 6,140
That's correct. That's true even if you're using third party apps like Spotify or YouTube. The only real issue is Android mixer's up-sampling of 44 kHz/16-bit file formats. You can read more about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Ok excellent! Very useful and helpful info csg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well ok that's fine. To me that stuff is irrelevant SO LONG AS it's above mp3-grade. I have accumulated a very large collection of Hi-Res and CD-Quality music over the last few years (some of which I simply ripped from my own CD collection and replaced the mp3 versions I had), and in all cases, I always took the higher resolution FLAC source files and downsampled them to 256-512 kbps AAC, and to me and other ppl I know, they sound the same. I use the Poweramp app, which you don't have listed on your link page, but since that stuff is irrelevant to me anyway, then I guess all that matters is no matter I have all 4 DACs/pipelines enabled while in Aux, so it's all good!! :L3000: lol

Thanks again, to you and everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is fantastic news!!

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #3,341 of 6,140
Reading about these quad dacs doesnt make a sense. For great audio reproduction u need at least a good DAP. I really recommend Pioneer xdp-300r. Bought it after the A/B test of my lg v30 and (now mine as well:) pioneer xdp-300r. V30 sounds really good and even great for a smartphone but its sandy in the lower mids. I always had a feeling that there is sometthing wrong there. And i have a good pair of iems- Pinnacle P1 which are 50 Ohms, so the gain is automatically set on high. It was even worse than my old iBasso dx80 (but comparable). Now it's far behind my pioneer.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #3,342 of 6,140
Reading about these quad dacs doesnt make a sense. For great audio reproduction u need at least a good DAP. I really recommend Pioneer xdp-300r. Bought it after the A/B test of my lg v30 and (now mine as well:) pioneer xdp-300r. V30 sounds really good and even great for a smartphone but its sandy in the lower mids. I always had a feeling that there is sometthing wrong there. And i have a good pair of iems- Pinnacle P1 which are 50 Ohms, so the gain is automatically set on high. It was even worse than my old iBasso dx80 (but comparable). Now it's far behind my pioneer.

It (V30) replaced my Mojo. So... Pioneer XDP-300r > Mojo? Nah
coloredsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #3,343 of 6,140
It (V30) replaced my Mojo. So... Pioneer XDP-300r > Mojo? Nah
coloredsmile.gif
Lol, maybe u just prefer sound signature of v30 more, because there is now screwing chance the v30 sounds better than mojo.. Tried all of them. V30 sounds definetely the worst of these 3. I can agree that the mojo is not for everyone (warm, thick sound, smaller soundstage). I'm a fan of brighter tuning with bigger soundstage, so i find xdp-300r perfect to me. And its not just an opinion- it is audible. So everyone has his favorite sound signature, many prefer for example musicality over technical sound, like lower rated shozy alien gold over xdp-300r. And its ok, i agree, shozy is way more musical and fun sounding but sound quality (reproduction of detail, layering, soundstage, instrument positioning) on pioneer is superior, so... Everyone chooses what he likes, but objectively..

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,344 of 6,140
I have just downloaded UAPP to see how it compares against neutron. With my mutton ears I can't tell a difference but I do prefer the simplicity of the interface, and it is compatible with the car dashboard app I use which is a big bonus.

But one odd issue, having manually set the location of my music the album artist list is only about 25% of what it should be. The files are there, I can find the music through the album filter for example. Metadata seems fine, using the metadata reader within the uapp it shows that album artist info is there for files that are not showing up in album artist view. Anyone got any ideas?

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #3,345 of 6,140
Lol, maybe u just prefer sound signature of v30 more, because there is now screwing chance the v30 sounds better than mojo.. Tried all of them. V30 sounds definetely the worst of these 3. I can agree that the mojo is not for everyone (warm, thick sound, smaller soundstage). I'm a fan of brighter tuning with bigger soundstage, so i find xdp-300r perfect to me. And its not just an opinion- it is audible. So everyone has his favorite sound signature, many prefer for example musicality over technical sound, like lower rated shozy alien gold over xdp-300r. And its ok, i agree, shozy is way more musical and fun sounding but sound quality (reproduction of detail, layering, soundstage, instrument positioning) on pioneer is superior, so... Everyone chooses what he likes, but objectively..
ok, but....i had mojo, hugo and ibasso dx-200. remember that v30 is just a phone not an audiophile dap or a dac with fpga

Users who are viewing this thread

Back