LG V30
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,461 of 6,140
Phew. Lots of questions. I'll do my best to help...

The "failure" of the curation/library manager typically looks like this: a failure to completely scan your library, or the scan will complete, but you'll find you have some missing album artwork, or you can't find a particular track from one album, because it shows up somewhere else, or not at all, or track titles, numbers, aren't displayed properly, etc. If you've never experienced this, perhaps you have a limited library where most of your content was purchased directly through the iTunes store? Most of us want more flexibility than that, because for one thing, iTunes purchases max out at 256 vbr AAC; Apple still don't offer lossless downloads. If iTunes/MediaMonkey haven't given you problems yet, it's only a matter of time... :wink: I absolutely 100% feel your pain in not wanting to curate your own library by folders. My entire music collection took a period of weeks to assemble like this, ripping from CD (and verifying and correcting via accurip). I promise that once it's done, it is not a step backwards! Because every DAP I've ever seen can happily navigate via folders. You don't have to do this to use a V30 (LG's native music app and most 3rd party music apps will also attempt to organize your library into categories). For me, manual folder organization was absolutely worth it, but I get why others want to just buy an iPhone X and live with a dongle and take the hit on the sound quality.

I've never kept a track of which apps have a playcount feature, because I've never used (and don't have a need of) such a feature. (FiiO's native music app has a "Most Played" section, but I don't see any play count.) Anybody else have any suggestions here?

MediaMonkey on FiiO would be different from MediaMonkey on the V30 because FiiO's DAPs can natively send all PCM tracks through FiiO's DAC hardware without any re-sampling. However, that doesn't mean the X5iii's overall SQ is going to be superior. The X5iii has a fairly noisy amp and I wouldn't consider it a step-up in SQ and it's definitely not a step-up in terms of the UI. FiiO's DAPs use an older version of Android, slower CPUs, smaller, lower-res screens. For the prices you quoted, the V30 would be the obvious choice for me.
I do understand how I would have those issues if I was using a DAP that relies on folders for browsing. Since I don't use a DAP that relies on folders for browsing and instead scans the files metadata and organizes from there, it's more important for me to have correct metadata than folder organization (I need to fix my metadata badly one day). Either way, even if I ever did what you suggest, it would provide me zero benefit, since I would never browse my library like that anyway. I understand what you're saying regarding navigation though.
I wouldn't say there is a right/wrong way, but the folder organization method is definitely more supported by the audiophile devices and understandably so. I'm definitely in the minority relying heavily on smart playlists, but I'm a data nerd and it's how I work. I wouldn't know what music I liked without the data lol.
I use itunes to manage my music, not to obtain it. Most of my music is 320 kbps. But once I'm done organizing my music I'll try to move to FLAC as much as possible, which is why I'm moving away from itunes. That, and I've broken a lot of ipods this past year. And itunes decided to automatically rate my own songs within the library manager, which messes with my smart playlists. I don't understand why itunes would think that's a feature so I want to move to MediaMonkey+Android DAP which seems like it will give me the same experience, with better SQ.

You've helped a lot though. My main concern was that I had ZERO options, which is always a sad place to be in. Instead I now know what I'm getting into. To sum it up:

The LGV30 is clearly the best phone I can get for music playback.
For my playback needs though, due to my app selection of needing an itunes like library manager that can be used between windows/android, I'm moving to MediaMonkey. To have a no compromises experience with MediaMonkey I need to look at a DAP in the range of the X7 Mark ii to have a similar experience with the LGV30.

It seems like you'd still take the LGV30 even with the resampling? Am I correct in that?
(unsure about this last bit here)
The resampling issue really won't effect me until I update my library to FLAC?

I guess I'm not really understanding what the difference between Resampling on the LGV30 and Native Playback on the X7Markii(HiBy R6 is what I'd probably purchase to have the best android experience) and what the SQ difference would be like.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,462 of 6,140
I do understand how I would have those issues if I was using a DAP that relies on folders for browsing.

I don't know of any DAPs that relies 100% on folder browsing. Every DAP I've ever used has the option to scan files and organize from the metadata. The reason I like folder browsing, is that almost all apps (in DAPs or smartphones) can reliably navigate this way. I've yet to find an app whose metadata organization and subsequent browsing experience worked perfectly (even after lots of metadata-editing).

It seems like you'd still take the LGV30 even with the resampling? Am I correct in that?

If I only ever used low-sensitivity/high-impedance headphones, then yes. If I sometimes used low-impedance/high-sensitivity headphones, then I would not want the re-sampling artifacts, no. I can avoid them with Neutron, but if you're adamant about using MediaMonkey and you have low-impedance/high-sensitivity headphones, then, well, you've been warned :triportsad:

The resampling issue really won't effect me until I update my library to FLAC?

I'm afraid it's also going to affect your existing mp3/aac library.

I guess I'm not really understanding what the difference between Resampling on the LGV30 and Native Playback on the X7Markii(HiBy R6 is what I'd probably purchase to have the best android experience) and what the SQ difference would be like.

If you have low-impedance/high-sensitivity BA headphones, I'm not sure I'd recommend the HiBy R6 either, because it has a fairly high (10 Ohm) output impedance which will skew your frequency response.

But you're right. The only way to know for sure is to listen to them all :o2smile:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2,463 of 6,140
I only have ATH-m50x and chinese IEMs.
I'd be buying new headphones.
Ya, after doing a lot more research, I found what you were talking about regarding the system wide bypass of Android with the FiiO and the R6.
I see what you're saying regarding the R6 in this review as well. It still seems like I'd be best off playing within the rules of the R6 for headphone choice, given the better android experience, but either way, I at least have options and understand now a lot more what I'm getting into. Helped a lot with figuring out what to search for. I'll have to confirm the Pioneer/Onkyo units can do what the R6/FiiO can do. Well, I've learned a lot.

MWC 2018 is right around the corner, so I'll see what LG announces and what further price drops happen. It may still make sense for me to get this since the price is just so good. Small price difference to have a nice flagship phone that's great at pretty much everything.

Thanks a lot for teaching me about this. I'm sure I have a lot more to learn, but I feel a lot more comfortable now.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,464 of 6,140
I personally am waiting for the Graphene-based ORA headphone via KS later this summer...but has anyone tried these headphones models with the V30? How do they sound with the phone and do they have enough power in direct and BT mode?

Beyerdynamic Aventho (with sound scanning)
B&W PX
Nuraphone hybrid (KS)
Bluedio Victory (12 custom drivers) or Vinyl Plus (70mm driver)
V-Moda Crossfade 2 (AptX version)

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,465 of 6,140
Even android DAPs are still suffered from android resampling. Fiio is bit perfect for only their own music app and neutron (thanks to its developer)

iBasso has Lurker0 mod rom which make a USB Audio app to make various apps (poweramp,hiby,neutron) bit perfect but still I am not sure if mediamonkey can work.

Hiby DAP does only bit perfect on their stock music app

The only solution I can think is using external dac/amp to your phone

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,466 of 6,140
Hiya everyone!

Newbie here, and I had a coupl've issues with the V30 which I wanted to share, and hopefully ask for advice incase anyone had experienced similar problems and happened to know of a fix.

The first issue is regarding the headphone mode displayed. I'm coming from the V20 and recently got a V30+ but I noticed that under the HiFi Quad Dac menu, unlike the V20 which shows the type of headphone mode (Normal/AUX/High Impedance), this V30 only shows a volume slider with no info on the mode. The V20 displays these modes always, just like the V10 What stumps me is that when I initially did my research on this phone, reviewers seemed to have the mode displayed clearly on their V30's. So I wondered if this was a case of a software update (i have no idea why updates are removing useful info....) or some region variant issue. I have noticed that even though the modes are not displayed, the phone still does apply different modes with different headphones and I can still get the High Impedance glory, just that its annoying because sometimes my headphones are misread as normal and I'd like to be able to just see the detection status to know if i need to reset instead of having to play a track first to identify.

The second issue is actually the much more pressing one, which almost made me want to swap back to the V20. I've noticed that the V30 has a very Apple-esque tendency to outright refuse to work with third party things. In this case it is third party equalizers. The v30 has it's own equalizer but it's really a miserable excuse for a real one and even the presets in the HiFi DAC aren't ideal because they are stuck preset and cannot be customized. I have no idea why LG would bottleneck such a fantastic piece of hardware with such stubbornness.I have tried many different third party equalizers (like over 10 from the play store) and most of them outright had zero effect at all. They just did nothing to change the audio output, not even the volume. The ONE that did work was Equalizer and Bass Booster by Coocent. This one did have an effect but the issue was that whenever I changed song, or even jumped to a different part of the song, it would become disabled and I had to turn it off and on again, essentially making it impractical for usage. I decided then to just try third party players like Poweramp that have their own inbuilt equalizer functions, and these players are able to apply their inbuilt equalizers but then they come with a whole new set of issues. Poweramp seems to have a lot of bugs with the 75 stage volume controls, since im assuming it was only intended for standard 25 or 15 steps. That alone isn't a dealbreaker but the biggest problem comes from very noticeable problems with noise and distortion when using these players with their equalizers. For example when using Poweramp, if I'm listening to a track at low volume, or during parts where there is only a single instrument playing, there is a noticeable hiss very much like brown noise. Also, I notice that this noise tends to "follow" the track whereby it comes in when the instrument comes in, and increases and decreases accordingly. It only happens with the player equalizers turned on though. Once i turn this off, it goes away. I noticed this same issue with my V20 and Poweramp. However, I worked around it by using a stock player and a third party EQ (the one above, Equalizer and Bass Booster by Coocent). However, this is not an option on the V30 due to its refusal to allow third party equalizers to work.

I actually brought my V30 to the LG service center to ask them about this and sadly the engineer there had no idea what was causing it and said he will refer the issue to the relevant team and let me know if anything comes up. (A.K.A Sorry mate, we can't do anything, buzz off). I did get him to flash the software to the original variant, but it didnt do anything to fix either issue. As such I did my own research and the best I came across were reports on XDA Developers about other users facing similar issues with third party EQ's. My theory is that this problem is likely due to an issue with the Direct Voltage Control aspect of the DAC whereby the stock player can perfectly utilise it but third party players like poweramp have inaccuracies.

I guess my main questions for anyone kind enough to answer would be, do you face similar issues with your V30 and if so, does anyone have any input to add to these problems or if anyone has any proposed solutions that would be really awesome! I am currently considering trying to flash different versions of the software until i find one that is compatible with these third party EQ's BUT I wanted to ask for advice here first as this procedure is risky and is not a clean solution since different ROM's might fix one problem but create others like diminished battery life or something else. I just wish LG would stop trying to be too smart for their own good and just enable that awesome ESS DAC properly for users to enjoy it to its fullest.

P.S Sorry for the long post, wanted to give a thorough explanation of the issue faced. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #2,467 of 6,140
Even android DAPs are still suffered from android resampling. Fiio is bit perfect for only their own music app and neutron (thanks to its developer)

iBasso has Lurker0 mod rom which make a USB Audio app to make various apps (poweramp,hiby,neutron) bit perfect but still I am not sure if mediamonkey can work.

Hiby DAP does only bit perfect on their stock music app

The only solution I can think is using external dac/amp to your phone

I thought the Sony ZX2 avoided android sampling with it only using android 4.2 still ? (for Tidal/Spotify use) ?

Does UAPP still not support V30 internal DAC yet? Still in testing?

I'm still using an android Z5 compact with Dragonfly Red and UAPP to get Tidal bit-perfect streaming (not offline). Still much smaller than most DAP's and better battery life.

I can get Tidal offline with my iPhone SE 128GB/Dragonfly Red but not sure if any scaling issues as still seems to sound better out of UAPP on Android. DFR does show correctly as Green.

Bit of Red electrical tape just used as a scratch guard for the DFR.

20180221_141010 1.jpg 20180221_141028.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2,468 of 6,140
Hiya everyone!

Newbie here, and I had a coupl've issues with the V30 which I wanted to share, and hopefully ask for advice incase anyone had experienced similar problems and happened to know of a fix.

The first issue is regarding the headphone mode displayed. I'm coming from the V20 and recently got a V30+ but I noticed that under the HiFi Quad Dac menu, unlike the V20 which shows the type of headphone mode (Normal/AUX/High Impedance), this V30 only shows a volume slider with no info on the mode. The V20 displays these modes always, just like the V10 What stumps me is that when I initially did my research on this phone, reviewers seemed to have the mode displayed clearly on their V30's. So I wondered if this was a case of a software update (i have no idea why updates are removing useful info....) or some region variant issue. I have noticed that even though the modes are not displayed, the phone still does apply different modes with different headphones and I can still get the High Impedance glory, just that its annoying because sometimes my headphones are misread as normal and I'd like to be able to just see the detection status to know if i need to reset instead of having to play a track first to identify.

The second issue is actually the much more pressing one, which almost made me want to swap back to the V20. I've noticed that the V30 has a very Apple-esque tendency to outright refuse to work with third party things. In this case it is third party equalizers. The v30 has it's own equalizer but it's really a miserable excuse for a real one and even the presets in the HiFi DAC aren't ideal because they are stuck preset and cannot be customized. I have no idea why LG would bottleneck such a fantastic piece of hardware with such stubbornness.I have tried many different third party equalizers (like over 10 from the play store) and most of them outright had zero effect at all. They just did nothing to change the audio output, not even the volume. The ONE that did work was Equalizer and Bass Booster by Coocent. This one did have an effect but the issue was that whenever I changed song, or even jumped to a different part of the song, it would become disabled and I had to turn it off and on again, essentially making it impractical for usage. I decided then to just try third party players like Poweramp that have their own inbuilt equalizer functions, and these players are able to apply their inbuilt equalizers but then they come with a whole new set of issues. Poweramp seems to have a lot of bugs with the 75 stage volume controls, since im assuming it was only intended for standard 25 or 15 steps. That alone isn't a dealbreaker but the biggest problem comes from very noticeable problems with noise and distortion when using these players with their equalizers. For example when using Poweramp, if I'm listening to a track at low volume, or during parts where there is only a single instrument playing, there is a noticeable hiss very much like brown noise. Also, I notice that this noise tends to "follow" the track whereby it comes in when the instrument comes in, and increases and decreases accordingly. It only happens with the player equalizers turned on though. Once i turn this off, it goes away. I noticed this same issue with my V20 and Poweramp. However, I worked around it by using a stock player and a third party EQ (the one above, Equalizer and Bass Booster by Coocent). However, this is not an option on the V30 due to its refusal to allow third party equalizers to work.

I actually brought my V30 to the LG service center to ask them about this and sadly the engineer there had no idea what was causing it and said he will refer the issue to the relevant team and let me know if anything comes up. (A.K.A Sorry mate, we can't do anything, buzz off). I did get him to flash the software to the original variant, but it didnt do anything to fix either issue. As such I did my own research and the best I came across were reports on XDA Developers about other users facing similar issues with third party EQ's. My theory is that this problem is likely due to an issue with the Direct Voltage Control aspect of the DAC whereby the stock player can perfectly utilise it but third party players like poweramp have inaccuracies.

I guess my main questions for anyone kind enough to answer would be, do you face similar issues with your V30 and if so, does anyone have any input to add to these problems or if anyone has any proposed solutions that would be really awesome! I am currently considering trying to flash different versions of the software until i find one that is compatible with these third party EQ's BUT I wanted to ask for advice here first as this procedure is risky and is not a clean solution since different ROM's might fix one problem but create others like diminished battery life or something else. I just wish LG would stop trying to be too smart for their own good and just enable that awesome ESS DAC properly for users to enjoy it to its fullest.

P.S Sorry for the long post, wanted to give a thorough explanation of the issue faced. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just wait for UAPP to support the internal DAC. It has parametric EQ. Testing has been underway for a few weeks now so release should be soon.

As for the mode, there's an app on the play store called 'Hi-Fi Status(LG)' that can display which mode the DAC is on.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2,469 of 6,140
Hiya everyone!

The second issue is actually the much more pressing one, which almost made me want to swap back to the V20. I've noticed that the V30 has a very Apple-esque tendency to outright refuse to work with third party things. In this case it is third party equalizers.
I can't help with the inability to see the type of headphone plugged-in; it always displays which one for me. On the 2nd, have you tried Neutron? At least on my V30, the built-in equalizer works well and the setting persists between songs

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #2,470 of 6,140
Just wait for UAPP to support the internal DAC. It has parametric EQ. Testing has been underway for a few weeks now so release should be soon.

As for the mode, there's an app on the play store called 'Hi-Fi Status(LG)' that can display which mode the DAC is on.

Hiya! Thanks for your suggestion! I did try UAPP a few days ago, but I noticed that upon using the inbuilt EQ, there was a lot of overloading and this distortion unless i reduced the gain a lot. I tend to like using a V shaped profile. But I don't think I'm overdoing it as the same amount of bass was achievabe through the V20 and a third party EQ and it isn't that extreme. Do you reckon the update will fix this?

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #2,471 of 6,140
the hk version is compatible in europe?and it has al languages?thanks in advance

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,475 of 6,140
Thank you. I ask you a favour. The portuguese or italian is present?
Sadly I just went straight to setup in English. I did not check for other languages. I know it had German as well. I do not know how to check after the phone has been setup to see if it has Portuguese and italiano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back