LG V30
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,476 of 6,140
Sadly I just went straight to setup in English. I did not check for other languages. I know it had German as well. I do not know how to check after the phone has been setup to see if it has Portuguese and italiano.
It is and it has.
really thanks. appreciated. i will join the club

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,477 of 6,140
And the v30 will also support MQA!

The LG V30 also includes technology from partner company MQA Ltd. that facilitates high resolution audio streaming, the next big trend in mobile music. This allows the V30 to combine its stellar Quad DAC with MQA technology for a listening experience that will touch the heart as well as the ears. Music fans can enjoy high-resolution audio without the inconvenience of downloading huge files or using up large amounts of mobile data to get great sounding music through the V30

MQA on the LG V30 currently only works in the stock LG music program. MQA from Tidal music streaming currently not supported.

I have done tests of the MQA from both Tidal & hi res music downloads. They are not the same, not even close. I can null most downloaded MQA file with the associated hi res download but not even close with the tidal versions of MQA vs the standard CD version of the same exact album. There is some weird processing going on with Tidal's version where the right & left channels don't even line up proper compared to that albums original CD version. I have Audacity which allows me to line things up at the sample level & tidal's is impossible to line up to get a good null.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2,478 of 6,140
I thought the Sony ZX2 avoided android sampling with it only using android 4.2 still ? (for Tidal/Spotify use) ?

Does UAPP still not support V30 internal DAC yet? Still in testing?

I'm still using an android Z5 compact with Dragonfly Red and UAPP to get Tidal bit-perfect streaming (not offline). Still much smaller than most DAP's and better battery life.

I can get Tidal offline with my iPhone SE 128GB/Dragonfly Red but not sure if any scaling issues as still seems to sound better out of UAPP on Android. DFR does show correctly as Green.

Bit of Red electrical tape just used as a scratch guard for the DFR.

Where did you get that dongle?

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,480 of 6,140
Hiya! Thanks for your suggestion! I did try UAPP a few days ago, but I noticed that upon using the inbuilt EQ, there was a lot of overloading and this distortion unless i reduced the gain a lot. I tend to like using a V shaped profile. But I don't think I'm overdoing it as the same amount of bass was achievabe through the V20 and a third party EQ and it isn't that extreme. Do you reckon the update will fix this?
Aren't using EQ on UAPP but seems you could get a V shaped profile either by Boosting the Bass & Treble...or cutting the mids; would think that Boosting the Bass & Treble would require you to reduce the gain but that Cutting the Mids wouldn't...

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #2,481 of 6,140
MQA on the LG V30 currently only works in the stock LG music program. MQA from Tidal music streaming currently not supported.

I have done tests of the MQA from both Tidal & hi res music downloads. They are not the same, not even close. I can null most downloaded MQA file with the associated hi res download but not even close with the tidal versions of MQA vs the standard CD version of the same exact album. There is some weird processing going on with Tidal's version where the right & left channels don't even line up proper compared to that albums original CD version. I have Audacity which allows me to line things up at the sample level & tidal's is impossible to line up to get a good null.

Really interesting post @germanium! It sounds like you're trying to do an Audio Diffmaker on the two sets of files? Are you getting the data into Audacity via a line-out from the V30 to your PC?

About the MQA not aligning with the CD version (or the L and R channels of the MQA not aligning with one another) - couldn't that simply be a result of the MQA using a different master? I have noted artifacts in Tidal's catalogue in the past, even for "standard" lossless 44/16 FLAC. I don't have an explanation for this, other than (maybe?) Tidal's versions having (for whatever reason) a different master to that of my own CD rips.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,482 of 6,140
Really interesting post @germanium! It sounds like you're trying to do an Audio Diffmaker on the two sets of files? Are you getting the data into Audacity via a line-out from the V30 to your PC?

About the MQA not aligning with the CD version (or the L and R channels of the MQA not aligning with one another) - couldn't that simply be a result of the MQA using a different master? I have noted artifacts in Tidal's catalogue in the past, even for "standard" lossless 44/16 FLAC. I don't have an explanation for this, other than (maybe?) Tidal's versions having (for whatever reason) a different master to that of my own CD rips.

This was done all on the PC & no I did not use audio diff maker. All had to be done manually. I used various DAC's such as the meridian Explorer 2, Mytek Brooklyn DAC for hardware decoding as well software decoding through Tidal sent through my modified Asus Strix Raid DLX. All were converted to analog & recorded back to digital at 24 bit 192 KHz but used the audacity to add samples up to 768Khz as I found that I needed more samples to get the best alignment when editing.

They were the same album, If remastered version I used the exact same remastered version with both MQA & non MQA

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #2,483 of 6,140
Amazing sound through my Velvet V2.
Extra gain on High Impedance mode is welcome in many recordings.
Therefore, no external amp required.
No hanging dongles, just a 3.5 righ angle connector and a 60 ohm adapter.

IMG-20180223-WA0004-01.jpeg

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #2,485 of 6,140

I don't own the V30. I just bought the V20 as a "stop gap" phone until the next big thing comes along. But that's besides the point.

I just wanted to comment on the album in your pic. I always research and sample music artists I am not familiar with. Such as this one, Jasper Hoiby. Never heard of him. I went to iTunes to do some preview listening and like, really like, what I've heard. So I bought the FLAC version from 7Digital. Then more research brought me to his band, Phronesis. Bought the 24bit version The Behemoth and will likely get the rest of their catalogue. Now I'm hooked.

So this is just really a "thank you" for posting that pic. I love "discovering" new artists to listen to.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #2,487 of 6,140
I don't own the V30. I just bought the V20 as a "stop gap" phone until the next big thing comes along. But that's besides the point.

I just wanted to comment on the album in your pic. I always research and sample music artists I am not familiar with. Such as this one, Jasper Hoiby. Never heard of him. I went to iTunes to do some preview listening and like, really like, what I've heard. So I bought the FLAC version from 7Digital. Then more research brought me to his band, Phronesis. Bought the 24bit version The Behemoth and will likely get the rest of their catalogue. Now I'm hooked.

So this is just really a "thank you" for posting that pic. I love "discovering" new artists to listen to.

Phronesis are amazing.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,488 of 6,140
Why doesn't the V30 fill the gap, in your opinion?

1. Price (unlocked)
2. Non-removable battery
3. No IR blaster
4. Hybrid Sim/memory slot

If price was 3/4 of what it is currently I probably would have bought. V20 at a 1/4 of the V30 price is a great value for features even for a 2 year old device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back