LG V30
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,161 of 6,140
If I get a V30 what would I need to do to get the best out of my two ear/headphones?

9 Ohm SE846 IEM
150 Ohm HD660 Headphone

Not fully following whats needed to fool the phones modes or why its needed.

You won't need to mess with adapters. Your HD660 will work in high-impedance mode by default and your SE846 will have more than enough power in "normal device" mode (which will kick in because it has < 50 Ohm impedance). You'll be impressed with the background of the V30 on your SE846 - it's darker than that of the Hugo 2. Very clean-sounding amp. (Just watch out for the up-sampling issue with your SE846.)

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,162 of 6,140
So still get upsampling with Tidal/Spotify apps?

Does UAPP work with the internal DAC yet?

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,164 of 6,140
I never use impedance adapters etc.. if I want to go to aux mode which would be the next mode up from hi-fi mode I always plug the cable to the phone first and attach the iem/hp to the cable second. Keep in mind this is not giving you better sound quality it is merely giving you more power to drive your gear.
Looking at your profile, how does the V30 fare against your Opus #2? I'm oh so curious.

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,166 of 6,140
Hi.
Why LG doesn't allow us to select output power manually? I can't see any advantages...
Thanks.

'auto impedance detection' feature, I have seen this on several ESS 90x8 based phones, e.g. Vivo, Xiaomi, LG.
So, LG probably is just following industry standard practice. Which happen to be a stupid practice. They think they are smart enough, but actually they don't understand things.

I have also seen ESS 90x8 based phones that doesn't do auto detection, instead, allow user to set output gain mode, e.g. Meizu.
But Meizu has their own stupidity, they don't allow user to enable/disable HiFi mode (ESS DAC), instead they rely on a config file which stores the names of apps, for which HiFi mode should be turned on. (so, if your app is not in the list, you need to root the phone, and modify this config file)

All they want to do, is saving power, making the battery performance look better. High gain mode, and HiFi mode will consume extra power.

I agree, I prefer OS to expose this 'set output power' feature to users. Instead of doing auto detection.
If we can voice our opinion loud enough, maybe LG can change the OS.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,167 of 6,140
Hi.
Why LG doesn't allow us to select output power manually? I can't see any advantages...
Thanks.

From what I've seen elsewhere, it's a safety feature. They don't want people putting into high power modes with easy to drive headphones and blowing their ears out.

All cell phones are volume limited for the same reason, and since the v-series can output a LOT of juice, they're basically trying to play it safe.

I disagree, mostly because planars really need the power and don't have high enough impedance to trigger it, but maybe a root solution will happen.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,168 of 6,140
Today I got my priced possession Sennheiser hd 660s...hooked up to v30 plus and wow it powers the 150ohm high end headphone with easy

Sound is just immersive

Then I hooked hd 660s to fiio x7ii....that needs to be put on high gain to power it properly still I had to push volume all the way up

My conclusion v30 is a beast and is best suited for high end high impedance headphones ... and boy I can say it sounded better that fiio x7ii

I might even sell fiio x7ii now :wink:

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,171 of 6,140
Hi guys, I'm currently testing V30 on newest Neutron and have two questions.
In Audio Hardware, Generic Driver should be enabled I've heard but what about "Hi-Res Codec" and "Costom Format"? Also, any bes practice which digital filter to choose from Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings itself?
Thx!

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,172 of 6,140
Hi guys, I'm currently testing V30 on newest Neutron and have two questions.
In Audio Hardware, Generic Driver should be enabled I've heard but what about "Hi-Res Codec" and "Costom Format"? Also, any bes practice which digital filter to choose from Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings itself?
Thx!

Generic driver on > codec on, dont touch custom formats

Follow source on.

I use filters based on which iem/headphone i'm using. There is no standard for the filters, just use which ever one you feel sounds best.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #2,173 of 6,140
From what I've seen elsewhere, it's a safety feature. They don't want people putting into high power modes with easy to drive headphones and blowing their ears out.

All cell phones are volume limited for the same reason, and since the v-series can output a LOT of juice, they're basically trying to play it safe.

Yes, I believe you're right.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,174 of 6,140
We shouldn't take our V30s (or the inevitable V40 follow-up) for granted. It seems like LG are losing money hand-over-fist in making these:

http://flip.it/Ea2AvR

It'll be interesting to see what Samsung are going to do with the S9, but the V30 has set quite a high bar for me to go back to a Samsung phone. I'd miss the V30's audio output.
BTW, there are other OEMs still producing smartphones with 3.5 mm sockets and quality DACs and amps. @yfei recently loaned me his Meizu Pro 5 (there's a small review and comparison against the V30 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meizu-pro-5-smartphone.869792). I'd definitely recommend checking it out as either a smartphone or stand-alone DAP. Thanks again @yfei! :beerchug:

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,175 of 6,140
I honestly do think the S9 is gonna step up the game and end up with an output that's pretty damn high quality. I think the idea of the high-impedance/external mode is gonna go away, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back