LG V30
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #2,192 of 6,140
Can't speak for the Clear or the Utopia, but it drives the Elear very well.

Utopias trigger high-impedance mode, and they aren't difficult to drive; so the V30 drives them almost to the threshold.of pain.

I fixed the hifiman edition x by buying the fiio x1 mark 2 connected to the V30 and I can now use my balanced cable and everything is now good :)

I presume you meant to say the X7 mark 2? I love the X7ii - it's a great player, but as others have said, this is a fairly desperate (and expensive) "fix" for the V30 :wink: Did @ra990's adapter trick not work for you? Even high-impedance mode wasn't producing enough power?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,193 of 6,140
sorry I meant the fiio q1 mark 2 ( I already have a fiio x5 3rd gen with fiio a5 amp that I am trying to replace with the V30 ) the q1 is very portable and has a 2.5mm balanced input. using with the V30 It drives my edition x very well using my balanced cable, the V30 on its own even in high impediance mode could not drive them properly

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,195 of 6,140
My first recommendation for IEMs is usually the FLC8S. For a near-bargain price, they're easy to drive, almost infinitely configurable and compete remarkably well against the KSE1500 (the world's best IEM - IMHO).

I guess I'll try the new FLC8 and 9 that are coming quite soon. Can I ask you what's your second recommendation?

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,196 of 6,140
I disagree. There are some very good IEMs in that price band and this is such a matter of personal taste. For example, the B&O H3 pairs spectacularly with the V30 and is around $200-300. Not saying the Audio Technica is not a good option, just suggesting considering more options.

Exactly. The iSines sound great with the V30.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,198 of 6,140
I guess I'll try the new FLC8 and 9 that are coming quite soon. Can I ask you what's your second recommendation?

I have to be careful here, because everybody's ears are different and I want to make it clear I'm only talking about my own preferences.

In terms of fit, isolation and overall sound quality (to my ears), I can't give you any other recommendation that will beat the FLC8S south of ~$1000. There's also nothing out there at any price (apart from the KSE1500 or the Celeste) that has anything close to the tuning flexibility you have with the FLC8S. (Ok, I did say FLC8S was my first recommendation! Number 2 would then have to be the only IEM I've heard that gives a notable boost in SQ from the FLC8S and that would be the KSE1500.)

The FLC9 is a very different beast - it's a single balanced-armature driver with the ability to tune only the sub-bass.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2,200 of 6,140
I have to be careful here, because everybody's ears are different and I want to make it clear I'm only talking about my own preferences.

In terms of fit, isolation and overall sound quality (to my ears), I can't give you any other recommendation that will beat the FLC8S south of ~$1000. There's also nothing out there at any price (apart from the KSE1500 or the Celeste) that has anything close to the tuning flexibility you have with the FLC8S. (Ok, I did say FLC8S was my first recommendation! Number 2 would then have to be the only IEM I've heard that gives a notable boost in SQ from the FLC8S and that would be the KSE1500.)

The FLC9 is a very different beast - it's a single balanced-armature driver with the ability to tune only the sub-bass.
Thanks again for your input.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,201 of 6,140
I'm curious what all you've heard in that price bracket, csg.

I've toured the CanJams and have heard most (but obviously not all) of what's out there. Here's my general thoughts on the current IEM line-up...
There's always something new rolling off the production line and most companies will include the obligatory marketing fluff like "Finally you will hear music like the artist originally intended", etc. Which is obviously nonsense, because 1) all IEMs are colored to some extent and 2) you need them to be, because of your own unique ear-canal resonances, and 3) most IEMs use the exact same drivers.

Number 3) is my biggest gripe. I'm very wary about the latest 36-BA-drivers-per-side IEM, because all those balanced armatures tend to be from the exact same manufacturer (Knowles or Sonion). I guess it's possible that a slightly re-worked cross-over or housing is suddenly going to generate a revolutionary breakthrough in personal audio, but I wouldn't put the odds of that as very high. The Tia Forte was a prime example - good sound, but massively over-hyped and massively over-priced for what was/is standard multi BA+DD IEM. The JH Lola, Andromeda and much of the Noble line all sound good, but have weird ergonomics. What I find interesting and generally better-sounding are the newer, lighter drivers, e.g., beryllium (Periodic Audio), Tesla DD (Beyerdynamic), planar magnetics (Audeze) and electrostatic (Shure). The low mass of these drivers can achieve meaningfully lower distortion. My favorite low-price IEM (FLC8S) is still a standard multi-BA+DD, but unique because it has at least 36 different tuning options. It's like having a parametric EQ in your earbuds.

But everybody's ears are different and there's no substitute for listening for yourself. Best option is always to find a good dealer who's willing to loan you some headphones to take home. I got lucky with my KSE1500 - I had a dealer willing to loan them to me for a couple of weeks, on the understanding I could simply take them back (with no re-stocking fee) if I didn't like them. That's the sort of service you want - if you can find it.

I've not yet heard the ProPhile 8 (I've heard good things and hope to audition these soon) or the ATH-E70 that @ljnew recommended. TBH, I don't really feel comfortable breaking open sealed IEMs, and then sending them back to Amazon, even if there is no re-stocking fee when I already have dozens of IEMs and another multi-BA IEM would most likely just end up sitting in a drawer collecting dust. But @ljnew, I promise I will check these out soon at a CanJam :wink:

P.S. Any of you V30 owners planning on attending the NYC or SoCal CanJams this year?

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,202 of 6,140
Have not really had much opportunity to audition my new V30/Shure SE846/Neutron before today. I am happy to say that I am quite pleased with how it is handling my FLAC/WAV files. I have also turned off all sound notifications so no intrusion there. As well, any incoming phone calls neutron silences the music and I can deal with the call. I listened to a variety of music on my commute to work with varied production quality (older Muse, Wilco, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters). This combo handled all flawlessly. I think I am ready to sell my DAPs (Calyx M, Onkyo DP-X1, and Hidiz 200) and use this as my only portable audio device. Wow!

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,203 of 6,140
I dont get enough power out of them using the V30--they dont have a very high sensitivity of 93db and i think that is causing issue. They power with my standalone Calyx M just fine--just wish *IT* has more features!

That's why I was wondering if it was an impedance thing. I have HD600's, 300ohm and 97db SPL/mW sensitivity. They will still get plenty loud enough so that's why it's throwing me. That and my HE-400i's have no issue either? I'm not doubting you it's just strange. Like I said I don't have that particular headphone though.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,204 of 6,140
That's why I was wondering if it was an impedance thing. I have HD600's, 300ohm and 97db SPL/mW sensitivity. They will still get plenty loud enough so that's why it's throwing me. That and my HE-400i's have no issue either? I'm not doubting you it's just strange. Like I said I don't have that particular headphone though.

Like we keep saying, a lot of planars won't get the push they need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back