LG V30
Jan 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #2,176 of 6,140
I never use impedance adapters etc.. if I want to go to aux mode which would be the next mode up from hi-fi mode I always plug the cable to the phone first and attach the iem/hp to the cable second. Keep in mind this is not giving you better sound quality it is merely giving you more power to drive your gear.

Do you use the aux mode or trick the V30 into hi-impedance mode to drive your Aeon Flow Open HPs? I just ordered these after reading all the reviews on Head-Fi and elsewhere. I auditioned both the HD800s and LCD-X in the store with my V30 and really enjoyed the signature of the LCD-X once in hi-impedance mode. From what I've read, the AFO would seem to improve upon what I like about the LCD-X, but also have the same liability in needing to trick the V30 to supply more power. In the store I just used my old HD570s attached to the extension to trip the V30 into hi-impedance and may just do this while at home, which is where I'll be listening to the AFOs. I'm currently listening via my Shure se846s and will continue to while mobile or at work.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,177 of 6,140
Do you use the aux mode or trick the V30 into hi-impedance mode to drive your Aeon Flow Open HPs? I just ordered these after reading all the reviews on Head-Fi and elsewhere. I auditioned both the HD800s and LCD-X in the store with my V30 and really enjoyed the signature of the LCD-X once in hi-impedance mode. From what I've read, the AFO would seem to improve upon what I like about the LCD-X, but also have the same liability in needing to trick the V30 to supply more power. In the store I just used my old HD570s attached to the extension to trip the V30 into hi-impedance and may just do this while at home, which is where I'll be listening to the AFOs. I'm currently listening via my Shure se846s and will continue to while mobile or at work.
Dude....I plug the cable in first then the headphones, thus aux mode. For my older ears it still takes a lot of volume but you do get a nice sound quality out of them that way with the AFO.

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,178 of 6,140
I have the s8 + and the v30 and v30 no question has better audio from the headphone jack, I doubt the S9 will be much different from the s8, in the big picture not too many people care about audio quality as we do. I think Samsung will continue with the poor quality headphone audio and still sell millions of the s9 and future phones. That said my main sim is still in my S8 + my back up sim / dap is my V30

even on high mode with my edition x v2 ( taking the cables out of the headphone plugging it in and then putting the cables in the headphones ) the lg v30 still cant power my edition x properly. not sure why - I was hoping to sell sell my fiio x5 3rd gen / fiio a5 combo and keep the lg v30 maybe I just need to get a chord mojo to power the V30 - the a5 does it good but was hoping for more :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,179 of 6,140
Got my HD600's in today. I asked and was told the V30 would power them easily... Can confirm, it powers them with ease. No tricks, no gimmicks, no tom foolery required.

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #2,180 of 6,140
Got my HD600's in today. I asked and was told the V30 would power them easily... Can confirm, it powers them with ease. No tricks, no gimmicks, no tom foolery required.

Weirdly enough, it's like the v30 does best with either really easy to drive headphones, or REALLY hard ones. Stuff in the middle like low impedance planars or ~50ohm headphones struggle a bit.

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,181 of 6,140
Weirdly enough, it's like the v30 does best with either really easy to drive headphones, or REALLY hard ones. Stuff in the middle like low impedance planars or ~50ohm headphones struggle a bit.

I can understand. I only have a few things right at 50ohm. To me at that point the V30 almost seems at it's best power delivery wise. It will juice the heck out of anything remotely efficient right at 50. Everything beneath that still has more than enough power, but volume wise it seems like for less than 50ohm maybe 40 - 55 volume wise is the loud to very loud end. For what I have, at 50ohm, 20 - 35 volume wise is the loud to very loud end.

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #2,182 of 6,140
I can understand. I only have a few things right at 50ohm. To me at that point the V30 almost seems at it's best power delivery wise. It will juice the heck out of anything remotely efficient right at 50. Everything beneath that still has more than enough power, but volume wise it seems like for less than 50ohm maybe 40 - 55 volume wise is the loud to very loud end. For what I have, at 50ohm, 20 - 35 volume wise is the loud to very loud end.

Yeah, meanwhile right under the 50 mark is a fight. Like I have the Mee Pinnacle P1 and the v30 struggles because it won't quite kick on high impedance mode, meanwhile the HD800 got loud as hell.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,183 of 6,140
Yeah, meanwhile right under the 50 mark is a fight. Like I have the Mee Pinnacle P1 and the v30 struggles because it won't quite kick on high impedance mode, meanwhile the HD800 got loud as hell.

Yep. I feel like I have been playing music before, paused, removed my 50ohm-ish phones, plugged them back in and hit play and it's played louder before. Could be just me though but I swear its happened. It seems to save volumes based on output modes too (T-mo variant). If I unplug my low impedance at say 20, and plug in something 50ohm plus, the volume indicated when I plug them in will be different than before.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,184 of 6,140

I think they issue the V30 has with Planars is not necessary the impedance, but the sensitivity with 93-ish db just not being enough. I know it can't drive the Massdrop HE-4xxx enough, but did someone on here also find an issue with the more sensitive Edition X version 2 as well? What about the focal range--can it drive the Clears or Utopias to enough level? Has anyone tried the "other" beryllium headphone cheapie from RBH?

Big fan of the Pandora VI...I guess i'll just have to save up for the Final Audio Pandora/Sonorous X :)

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #2,186 of 6,140
I think they issue the V30 has with Planars is not necessary the impedance, but the sensitivity with 93-ish db just not being enough. I know it can't drive the Massdrop HE-4xxx enough, but did someone on here also find an issue with the more sensitive Edition X version 2 as well? What about the focal range--can it drive the Clears or Utopias to enough level? Has anyone tried the "other" beryllium headphone cheapie from RBH?

Big fan of the Pandora VI...I guess i'll just have to save up for the Final Audio Pandora/Sonorous X :)

This boggles my mind, I don't own the HE-4XX's but I own the HE400i's. You're saying the V30 doesn't have enough power for them? As in, it won't trigger high impedance mode? The HE-400i's are hysterically easy to drive for being "planars". It only takes "1 more hour" on any amp I have to get it to the same DB by ear as HD558's. No sarcasm or anything intended, I'm honestly curious about this.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,187 of 6,140
@ csglinux, SomeGuyDude, Loquah and jtfrazier, thanks a lot for your views & help.

I'm actually very tempted to buy the LV30. I tried it today and I liked it very very much. I asked a friend of mine who uses it only as a DAP and not as a smartphone...

Still, I have doubts about giving that money for an equipment that will be replaced soon. And I don't need a new smartphone right now. I've read about the G7 and LV40 for this year .... I think a DAC/AMP will always have greater longevity, don't you think? The LV20 was released a year ago and who still talks about it?

Okay, but thinking I'll decide to buy it, I ask if you can suggest a quite good in-ear phones for it? I listen to all kinds of music, but especially electronic music (I appreciate a good bass).

I can say with pure confidence, you won't find a better iem, especially with v30 under $1000 than ath-e70. Try on Amazon free 30 day return is what i recommend.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #2,188 of 6,140
I can say with pure confidence, you won't find a better iem, especially with v30 under $1000 than ath-e70. Try on Amazon free 30 day return is what i recommend.

I disagree. There are some very good IEMs in that price band and this is such a matter of personal taste. For example, the B&O H3 pairs spectacularly with the V30 and is around $200-300. Not saying the Audio Technica is not a good option, just suggesting considering more options.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #2,189 of 6,140

Can't speak for the Clear or the Utopia, but it drives the Elear very well. Plenty of headroom volume-wise, and makes the most of the dynamics the Elear is capable of, which can sound a little flat on a underpowered source - very good pairing.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,190 of 6,140
This boggles my mind, I don't own the HE-4XX's but I own the HE400i's. You're saying the V30 doesn't have enough power for them? As in, it won't trigger high impedance mode? The HE-400i's are hysterically easy to drive for being "planars". It only takes "1 more hour" on any amp I have to get it to the same DB by ear as HD558's. No sarcasm or anything intended, I'm honestly curious about this.

I dont get enough power out of them using the V30--they dont have a very high sensitivity of 93db and i think that is causing issue. They power with my standalone Calyx M just fine--just wish *IT* has more features!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back