LG V30
Dec 31, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,996 of 6,140
Capture+_2017-12-30-20-09-32.png
Neutron is the only player that will play all frequencies correctly. Enable 64 bit processing, Generic Driver (long press to enable Hi-res audio) and set resampling to audiophile. Works for me.

Neutron can play the cue file that DSD Boss creates, which gives individual tracks...but it still seems to be doing the "Android sampling" according to this screen. There's a TON of options in this program. What are all the settings i need to bypass that if this is not doing it now--can someone send a screen showing what it would look like?

Also, someone posted that their headphones would repeatedly trigger "aux device" instead of regular listening mode. My FAD Pandora VI do that usually when first plugged in, and it takes a second time to trigger properly.

Finally, i can't recall the posting and can't find it with a quick search--but can someone send me the link to get the Amazon "fake out" cable to trigger high impedance?

Happy New Year everyone!

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,000 of 6,140
Wonderful

So as per your experience you don’t experience any downgrade in sound quality when playing from 3rd party music apps compared to LG music app ?

Of course not. All this yammering is arguing over numbers and that's it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,001 of 6,140
I use poweramp and prefer it to the LG music app, though I didn't notice any clarity difference. Power Amp just gives me more options Tried onkyo app, too, but found that the bass distorted when EQ'd.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,002 of 6,140
Of course not. All this yammering is arguing over numbers and that's it.

I feel nervous posting any kind of rebuttal to this, seeing how ferocious @SomeGuyDude 's avatars are. But the answer is - it depends on your headphones. Folks with moderate-to-low sensitivity headphones, 16+ Ohm impedance are unlikely to notice any issues. In most cases, the V30 will still sound great, even with a bit of resampling - audio still ends up going through the ESS DAC pipeline and the nice V30 amp.

However, if you have sensitive IEMs, it may be a different story. I have tracks where I can hear the effects of the upsampling really easily. I'm not unique or golden-eared - others have reported this (and I wasn't the first to notice the problem). To answer another poster, we know (by sending output data through audio_flinger or an external FFT) that most apps re-sample PCM - even 44/16 PCM! I'm in the process of creating a new thread to address this issue, because this question comes up so often on this thread, and while some people are obviously interested, some can't hear the differences and are getting annoyed by this type of discussion. I'll post a link to this next year - in about 24 hours... :wink:

Happy 2018 folks. Keep enjoying your V30s :)

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,003 of 6,140
Hey Josh, honestly it wouldn't be really helpful for me to answer that question just going by memory. Also, I run those two DAPs in balanced mode, since all my stuff is 2.5mm terminated.

I will say this, though: I remember being blown away by the V30's sound quality and again going by memory, I can't recall any appreciable difference between it and the DAPs you mentioned. I keep trying to find a way to get a V30 back, but I have two lines and one is stuck indefinitely on an iPhone X and the other I use a Pixel 2 because I'm addicted to the camera. I honestly thought about re-purchasing a V30 just for DAP duties, but I'll probably wait until the prices drop a bit more. Now, if the unlocked and carrier-free version actually worked on Sprint, I would probably drop the Pixel 2 for it.

That was a convoluted answer lol. TL;DR I think the V30 can probably compete with those players handily.

-Collin-

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,004 of 6,140
Hmm. Well, that saves me $500 bucks. I guess I'll stick with this. If the next option up is to spend $1000, I'm just not willing to do that, nor can I afford it.

I did just purchase the Kef space one wireless. Hopefully, those satisfy me enough (I use dt 1770 when wired).

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,006 of 6,140
I feel nervous posting any kind of rebuttal to this, seeing how ferocious @SomeGuyDude 's avatars are. But the answer is - it depends on your headphones. Folks with moderate-to-low sensitivity headphones, 16+ Ohm impedance are unlikely to notice any issues. In most cases, the V30 will still sound great, even with a bit of resampling - audio still ends up going through the ESS DAC pipeline and the nice V30 amp.

However, if you have sensitive IEMs, it may be a different story. I have tracks where I can hear the effects of the upsampling really easily. I'm not unique or golden-eared - others have reported this (and I wasn't the first to notice the problem). To answer another poster, we know (by sending output data through audio_flinger or an external FFT) that most apps re-sample PCM - even 44/16 PCM! I'm in the process of creating a new thread to address this issue, because this question comes up so often on this thread, and while some people are obviously interested, some can't hear the differences and are getting annoyed by this type of discussion. I'll post a link to this next year - in about 24 hours... :wink:

Happy 2018 folks. Keep enjoying your V30s :)

Ahhh yeah. I keep forgetting that hypersensitive IEMs seem to be having issues. I remember more than one person saying they were hearing funny business with their Andros.

I do know that the Senn HD800 sounds *fwaking great* with the v30, which is one hell of an accomplishment.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,007 of 6,140
Hmm. Well, that saves me $500 bucks. I guess I'll stick with this. If the next option up is to spend $1000, I'm just not willing to do that, nor can I afford it.

I did just purchase the Kef space one wireless. Hopefully, those satisfy me enough (I use dt 1770 when wired).

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I'm not even kidding I'm using my v30 instead of my Mojo at this point. Even before I needed to get it repaired the v30 had become my daily driver except when I'm at my desktop.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,009 of 6,140
I'm not even kidding I'm using my v30 instead of my Mojo at this point. Even before I needed to get it repaired the v30 had become my daily driver except when I'm at my desktop.
What do you use at your desktop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back