LG V30
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,981 of 6,140
Guys

Pls suggest .... if I use 3rd party apps like Hiby to stream music from my NAS will there be any degradation of music quality when played on 3rd party apps ?

Just to add I have 96 and 192khz flax and dsd files along with normal CD quality files to stream

My understanding is that you will still get full audio quality for everything except MQA if you have any. All other formats will work just fine if the software can play them.

Dec 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,982 of 6,140
Has anyone tried any of the home remedies for a loose headphone jack? I fear that the thing falling out of my pocket a few times while plugged in has resulted in a loose connection.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,983 of 6,140
Guys

Pls suggest .... if I use 3rd party apps like Hiby to stream music from my NAS will there be any degradation of music quality when played on 3rd party apps ?

Just to add I have 96 and 192khz flax and dsd files along with normal CD quality files to stream

Android Hiby converts all DSD and PCM to 48khz PCM before it sends it to the Sabre DAC.

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,985 of 6,140
There's definitely a difference in volume and sound between the LG music player and others such as Rocket, Neutron, or UAPP. That's with the LG player set to Normal profile, the sharp digital filter and custom EQ setting at flat, playing 16/44.1 tracks. And I'm using my Shure SE846.

I prefer the LG player - it sounds fuller and more natural perhaps - but your mileage may vary of course.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,986 of 6,140
Ok...I finally got the T-Mobile V30+ and as expected the headphone sound quality is sublime, especially using my Final Audio Pandora VI (an unsung gem for sure). But also as expected I'm dealing with the "android SRC limit" mess with my files and the reason something like the Hiby R6 is going to be so popular. Bottom line: I use an Exasound M/C DAC in my main rig, so all my DSD is in ISO format (either DSD or DST) to use J River. For the portable player I want to keep the file as-is if at all possible...but of course the LG player doesn't support ISO. Ironically on my Note 5 i could play them via OTG using Hiby...but NOT on the V30+ (which is odd). I can't get HIby to see the OTG flash stick on the V30+. Yes i could extract the files using the PC (or DSD Boss for Android) but I prefer to keep them intact for convenience. Sites like Pentatonemusic.com offer them for sale as its the best format for SACD, so hopefully support follows in the near future...but not for now.

Does anyone know if any of the main options other than the LG player (Neutron, UAPP, etc) support ISO? Support OTG flash drives? I did try Neutron eval and i couldn't get it to play them--the cool streaming radio station option sounded great though. Did someone say Hiby ALWAYS converts to the Android 16/48 limit so there's no way to get true DSD from it?

What doesn't sound too sublime at all is the actual call quality of the phone itself, so that may be a deal-breaker on its own--still working through that.

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,987 of 6,140
Ok...I finally got the T-Mobile V30+ and as expected the headphone sound quality is sublime, especially using my Final Audio Pandora VI (an unsung gem for sure). But also as expected I'm dealing with the "android SRC limit" mess with my files and the reason something like the Hiby R6 is going to be so popular. Bottom line: I use an Exasound M/C DAC in my main rig, so all my DSD is in ISO format (either DSD or DST) to use J River. For the portable player I want to keep the file as-is if at all possible...but of course the LG player doesn't support ISO. Ironically on my Note 5 i could play them via OTG using Hiby...but NOT on the V30+ (which is odd). I can't get HIby to see the OTG flash stick on the V30+. Yes i could extract the files using the PC (or DSD Boss for Android) but I prefer to keep them intact for convenience. Sites like Pentatonemusic.com offer them for sale as its the best format for SACD, so hopefully support follows in the near future...but not for now.

Does anyone know if any of the main options other than the LG player (Neutron, UAPP, etc) support ISO? Support OTG flash drives? I did try Neutron eval and i couldn't get it to play them--the cool streaming radio station option sounded great though. Did someone say Hiby ALWAYS converts to the Android 16/48 limit so there's no way to get true DSD from it?

What doesn't sound too sublime at all is the actual call quality of the phone itself, so that may be a deal-breaker on its own--still working through that.

Use neutron with hi res setting.
Audio hardware
- generic driver on
- direct pcm on
- follow frequency on

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,988 of 6,140
Does anyone know if any of the main options other than the LG player (Neutron, UAPP, etc) support ISO? Support OTG flash drives?

To clarify, I am just talking about headphone-out audio for ISO. I have no need to the V30 as a DAC as i have the awesome Exasound for that...

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,989 of 6,140
Does anyone know if any of the main options other than the LG player (Neutron, UAPP, etc) support ISO? Support OTG flash drives?

To clarify, I am just talking about headphone-out audio for ISO. I have no need to the V30 as a DAC as i have the awesome Exasound for that...

I have not found an app that works correctly on the V30 that reads SACD iso files. I have resigned myself to convert all of my iso to dsf. I too, have an exaSound e38 at home.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,993 of 6,140
Capture+_2017-12-30-12-15-08.png
I have not found an app that works correctly on the V30 that reads SACD iso files. I have resigned myself to convert all of my iso to dsf. I too, have an exaSound e38 at home.

Yeah...DSD Boss extracts them to DFF and a cue file and the LG player can only read the DFF--but one long file for the album. Getting there, but not quite what i am looking for...

I have the excellent Exasound E28 multichannel model and may sell it just to get the very pricey E38 to match my Oppo DAC. Exa's Windows drivers are unmatched and smooth as silk. Any takers for about $1500 complete with the Uptone Regen USB extra? :) PM me. Perfect operationally, with a couple current caveats I need to address...may try to move it soon.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,995 of 6,140
Yes, I believe the audio quality is the same, it's just that you have to increase the volume higher and sometimes, there isn't enough volume on low impedance, but low sensitivity IEMs.

I don't think Andromeda will trigger high-impedance since they are below 50 ohms. Andros shouldn't need it, though.

-Collin-

Hey Collin,

To go back to your earlier statement, do you see the v30 as sounding as good or better than the 300r or ak70? They steal both on my list, but if they aren't actually a sonic improvement, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back