LG V30
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #736 of 6,140
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #737 of 6,140
How can I try the MQA feature?
Mobile Tidal does not support it

whats your impression of MQA by Merridian.

I thought MQA was only for streaming. Can I buy MQA?

Yes you can. I suspect the person who showed the image with MQA local files bought those tracks from Onkyomusic or one of the other associated sites.

You can download free samples of MQA files (plus DSD and other hi-res formats) here: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html Not exactly classic rock, but hey they're free. Please let us know if these or any other MQA files work for you on your V30, what app you use to play them, and how they sound.

As I understand it, development of MQA streaming for internal Android DACs requires something only available in Oreo / 8, which I hope LG pushes to the V30 by the end of the year. But supporting this will still be up to Tidal and other app developers.

Right now it is only possible to output the bitperfect stream required for MQA to an external DAC via USB, which sort of defeats the purpose of owning a V30. But just for the record, the UAPP app can do that now.

Was surprised to see this message when I tried to change the filters.

MQA has built-in proprietary filters. The MQA license does not allow other filters when MQA is active.

(Let's not go off on a tangent about MQA now. There are plenty of other threads/rants available for that.)

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #739 of 6,140
That was a Pixel 2 screen. What am I missing here?

LG make the Pixel 2 XL. Same screen.

Not cancelling my order - there's no phone I'd rather have right now. But I'd wait another month if they would banished these screen troubles permanently from their supply chain.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #740 of 6,140
LG make the Pixel 2 XL. Same screen.

Not cancelling my order - there's no phone I'd rather have right now. But I'd wait another month if they would banished these screen troubles permanently from their supply chain.

Supposedly the new batch ironed out their previous issues. I'll see if anything pops up though on mine.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #742 of 6,140
I see - thanks for the info. Is the screen the exact same component part on both phones?
Yes everything I have seen says they both share the same screen and are calibrated by the company that the phone is. LG calibrated the v30s and Google does the pixel XL 2

Having said that there could be issues from that difference that's causing more problems on the pixel XL 2.

I haven't seen anything wrong on my Verizon v30 screen. Even if there was the new 2 year warranty is a pretty sweet fall back.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #745 of 6,140
Damn good question. Both are 6.0" POLED 1440x2880 screens. It's possible.

It is. That said, I'm seeng a lot more of these stories re Pixel 2 XLs than V30s, by several factors. Perhaps Google's build is pushing the p-OLED too hard? Maybe a power (regulation) issue of some kind? Glad to hear yours is peachy, subguy812.

Anyway it's not as if they are alone with their QC issues, is it? https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-swelling/

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #746 of 6,140
It is. That said, I'm seeng a lot more of these stories re Pixel 2 XLs than V30s, by several factors. Perhaps Google's build is pushing the p-OLED too hard? Maybe a power (regulation) issue of some kind? Glad to hear yours is peachy, subguy812.

Anyway it's not as if they are alone with their QC issues, is it? https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-swelling/

AFAIK Google did all the calibrating/tweaking in-house after getting the OEM parts from LG which could explain it.

Honestly the main weakness on this thing is the front facing camera. The Note 8's was absolutely stunning, the v30 is just adequate. Not a dealbreaker, but it does make a difference to me.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #747 of 6,140
AFAIK Google did all the calibrating/tweaking in-house after getting the OEM parts from LG which could explain it.

Honestly the main weakness on this thing is the front facing camera. The Note 8's was absolutely stunning, the v30 is just adequate. Not a dealbreaker, but it does make a difference to me.
I did a comparison of the note8 and the v30 today. The highlights of the screen slightly brighter than the v30. The sound quality of the note had more bass and was clear but i had a hard time driving lg quadbeats. I turned the volume to the max and it was still tolerable to the ears. No hope for full size cans.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #748 of 6,140
I did a comparison of the note8 and the v30 today. The highlights of the screen slightly brighter than the v30. The sound quality of the note had more bass and was clear but i had a hard time driving lg quadbeats. I turned the volume to the max and it was still tolerable to the ears. No hope for full size cans.

On the Note 8 what I did was go into the EQ, and put it on custom, then crank every single slider to the top. That put things roughly at the right volume. Obviously the SQ on the v30 is much better.

I will admit the front camera IS bugging me. I'm not a Snapchatter but I do swap random pictures with friends a bunch and the Note 8's was just sublime.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #749 of 6,140
Well, these past two posts are interesting. I did note that my Note 8 seemed to sound better out of the gate than my Note 4 (both are their respective US Snapdragon variants), but I obviously don't expect V-series or dedicated DAP quality out of it. (Note that I have yet to actually audition a V10, V20 or V30, and thus have no point of reference in terms of their sound quality. Even then, my IEMs are just cheap pack-ins, nothing fancy.)

I wonder if it's mostly the Qualcomm DAC or the lack of amplification that's holding things back, though. Like, let's say you stick an external amp onto the Note 8, which is admittedly pretty kludgy. Is the signal still clean enough to be deserving of such improved amplification, or is a USB DAC/amp the only hope for anyone who's still serious about their audio, but still can't do without good pen input (otherwise one could just buy the V30 and be done with it)?

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #750 of 6,140
So I just did a quick comparison between my V30, V10 and DF Red using my nighthawks. Audio was played through the stock LG music app or USB aap with the df.
Since the nighthawks are easy to drive I tried both standard and aux mode.

First and foremost the DF red to my ears was the standout. It had rich deep bass and decent sparkle when called for. Seemed more aggressive tonally almost like a "loud" eq setting. The dragonfly sounds great with this combo but I feel I could only listen for a little while before it fatigues my ears even at moderate levels.

The V30 seemed thin in the low end and had a brighter high-end then the others Maybe a hair more open/separation then the df. Might be the flattest tonally of the three. The V30 just didn't have the same low end kick the rest had but I feel it's from being closer to a ruler flat tune. It was not lacking any frequency it just wasn't as pronounced as the rest.

The V10 had less separation then the others and had a more pronounced low end then the V30 and a little less up top. Overall my ears seemed to like the V10 more tonally but that is probably because I've used it the most the past 2 years.

Here's my quick little review that I hope helps some people but as with everything in this field YMMV.

my take away from doing it is that I feel the V30 is probably closer to what the music is actually supposed to sound like and not colored in one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back