LG V30
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #767 of 6,140

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #768 of 6,140
That's likely because of a higher output impedance from the Note. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world - some folks might even like the extra low-end. I've not been able to find any specs about output impedance of the V30. If I keep drawing blanks with these specs, I'll try to find the time to do some measurements this weekend...

That's a great question. Hard to know how much sound quality is limited by the DAC and how much by the amp. I no longer own a dedicated amp. I have a Hugo 2, but that has no analog line-in, only digital in, so using H2 requires me to bypass both DAC and amp in the V30. And that does sound better than the direct output of the V30. I'm not going to try and say how much better, because 87.365% of these kinds of number you read about are entirely made up. I'd say the V30 holds its own against dedicated low-to-mid-priced DAPs, which is still very impressive for a phone and - for me - is enough that I wouldn't need or want to carry around a separate device, in addition to my phone. That's the whole point of the LG V30 to me. We went from a world where people carried pagers, phones, mp3 players, personal digital assistants, GPS navigation devices, etc., and then the smartphone converged all these devices into one. Until.... Apple came along and crapped on everybody's parade by having the "courage" to remove the headphone jack. This was no doubt a joyous day for Apple/Beats share-holders, but a huge step back in my view, made worse by certain sheep-like Android manufacturers that have decided to follow suit. So, yes, I'm sure you can improve on the V30's sound by carrying a separate amp. You can definitely improve on the V30's sound by carrying a really good quality (but big & clunky) DAC/amp combo around with you, but that's not really the point of the V30. Its sound output is easily good enough that you shouldn't need to.

I appreciate your thoughts, I am a bit tired of carrying around two devices. I think I'll go demo the V30, perhaps bring along the HA-2SE, if it gets me 83.264% of the way there, I'll be happy as a clam.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #769 of 6,140
Question:
Does anyone have any experience regarding the Beyerdynamics DT880 Premium 250ohm Hifi headphones with the V30?

I'm considering picking up a pair, but would like some background feedback before biting the bullet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #770 of 6,140
This both looks and sound amazing on the v30

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #771 of 6,140
LG-V30-Review-TI.jpg

https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-V30-Review_id4437

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #772 of 6,140
Not a bad review. I'm a little hedgy on a few things, I feel like they understated the camera issues and also weren't totally right about battery life (mine lasts way longer with heavy use), but a good review overall.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #773 of 6,140
Yes. I guess I've paid so much attention to this release because of the unusual combination of virtues in 2017. Reminds me of the 80s and the battle of the walkmen, except this time, there seems to only be one device in the running. Just over a week until I receive mine.

The output voltage measured for headphones is surely misleading though, since the V30 adjust to suit?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #774 of 6,140
except this time, there seems to only be one device in the running.

I feel like that too, but I'm trying not to be a fanboy :wink: I'd like to be objective and understand why virtually all the major tech sites are currently posting articles with titles like: "Should you buy the iPhone 8/X or the Google Pixel 2?" To me, the answer is obvious. I'd buy the V30 again in a heartbeat. But the poor V30 never gets a mention. Am I missing something? I'm very familiar with iPhone and wouldn't go back there even if Hell froze over. What's the appeal with the Pixel 2? I'm not seeing its appeal from the form factor or specs.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #775 of 6,140
From the video reviews I've seen the pixel is a smart smart phone. If not the smartest phone you can buy.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #778 of 6,140
It can take away your headphone jack.

We can joke about it here, but if you read sites like MacRumors, there are people that are deadly serious in their praise of Apple, because by Apple removing the headphone jack, their audio quality is now far superior. They conveniently forget that Dragonfly Red USB DACs can actually be plugged into any smartphone - even ones that still have a 3.5 mm headphone socket.

There must be some advantages of the Pixel 2 though, surely? Genuine Google experience - no 3rd party skins or launchers, less pre-installed bloatware? What's the appeal?

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #779 of 6,140
We can joke about it here, but if you read sites like MacRumors, there are people that are deadly serious in their praise of Apple, because by Apple removing the headphone jack, their audio quality is now far superior. They conveniently forget that Dragonfly Red USB DACs can actually be plugged into any smartphone - even ones that still have a 3.5 mm headphone socket.

There must be some advantages of the Pixel 2 though, surely? Genuine Google experience - no 3rd party skins or launchers, less pre-installed bloatware? What's the appeal?
Software wise, imo there is no other android phone manufacturer that has improved on the stock android experience. Every manufacturers attempt to customise and 'improve' android by putting their stamp on it just makes it worse.

I never understand how Samsung got to be so popular. I absolutely hate using their phones and being so popular if that is someones first and only experience of android, then it is no wonder that so many people head to apple.

Frequent updates are another big attraction for some people.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #780 of 6,140
I guess frequent and timely updates is probably the most important point. I understand the issue about the 3rd party skins and bloatware, but most of this can be removed or hidden, and you can just install your favorite launcher, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back