LG V30
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #676 of 6,140
No problem, hopefully you like a few of those.

THIS.
And IMO: if you wanna just a dac take v20 while if you want a dac and a phone go for the v30
That works. I can see making my V20 into a easily pocketable DAP with streaming services and FM tuner. I'd probably also carry a spare battery as it battery life when in use seems disappointing.

But there is a good chance I'll end up with both the V20 and V30 (aswell as an Axon 7 and Note 8) by early next year. I have a sickness! Going to have to start a review channel for all my gadgets, toys and audio gear. :astonished:

Just want to chime in with my honest opinion. V30 is the nicest android phone I've ever owned and I've owned almost every Samsung release in the past two years (T-mobile jump on demand). If anyone is considering it, I'd say go for it. The only concern I had was the reported screen issues, but mine is perfectly fine. The fact that it is able to drive my HD800S nicely is just icing on the cake. I traded in my note 8 for it.

I will end up with both, but I love my Note 8 and will not give it up (unless batteries start exploding).

Does it actually?? I have a T-Mo v30 and it barely drives my effing P1s. My LCD-X is barely pushed to adequate volume.
Hummm, either something is wrong with your device and you listen at VERY V E R Y loud volumes.

My V20 can drive almost anything as long at it trigger high impedance mode. If not I connect an extension cable first so it sees an external audio device then plug in my headphone into that for more power. Not sure if it as much power as high impedance mode but batter than normal mode. I'd imagine the V30 is just as powerful if not more.

A lot of the early v30s had splotchy screens. I've played with a few demos and bought one, haven't seen it myself, but it's apparently out there.
It this point aren't all V30 "early" unites. Seems are wore than others and some people are more bothered by it than others. If it isn't noticeable in normal use I can live with it. I'll find out once i get around to getting one (waiting on a price drop or deal).

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #677 of 6,140
If I share a Spotify playlist on here, can anyone access it? Would anyone want to?

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #678 of 6,140
There comes a point when it's not "discussion" so much as someone who has decided they dislike a product and will not rest until they convince everyone else to stop liking it.

If you have decided you dislike it and you aren't going to change your mind, leave the thread. You are not benefiting anyone by staying solely to trash something that people are enjoying. This is even more true if you're speaking solely on why you decided against buying it (meaning you don't have one at all).

Discussion is awesome. No ****. We all agree there. But if your entire "discussion" is just repeating why you dislike something in a thread dedicated to it, your energy (and ours) would be far better spent if you just went into a thread of something you do like.
I just spoke observations and perceived shortcomings. Nowhere did I say I didn't like the phone. If i didn't, I wouldn't waste my time posting. I have no posts in Samsung or Iphone threads.

V30 sounds awesome, in fact I will be purchasing a v30 when the price drops in a few months.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #680 of 6,140
Has anyone made a comparison between the V30 and the G6+ (quad DAC) yet?
Are they maybe even using the exact same audio chipset?
I ask this because the G6+ is about half the price of the V30. So I'm thinking of just getting that instead, as I don't have a personal need for the extra advancements in other areas that the V30 has.

I can't really say, we didn't get the G6 with quad DAC here in the US. But I think is shares the same DAC as the V20 and the V30 has a slightly updated DAC with some better specs on paper. Still I doubt you can actually hear much of a difference. So if you not concerned about the other features, just the audio, for the money the G6+ with quad DAC could be a very nice alternative.

BTW recently I've seen the V20 selling for less than $300 (as low as about $220 for an AT&T referb on ebay).

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #681 of 6,140
BTW there is a public "Audiophile Test Tracks" playlist. I found some songs there to add to my "Test Music" playlist.

Thanks for that. 540 songs are more than I care to look through but I'm familiar with many/most on the first 80 or so. Actually prompted me to add

Paradise Circus, by Massive Attack on their Heligoland album. Used as the theme tune to the hit TV show, 'Luther'.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #683 of 6,140
Lol I just discovered a self titled album by Wide Open on tidal. It really shows the dynamics and seperation of the v30. Sounds friggin amazing and pushed it pretty hard.
http://tidal.com/album/28991379

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #686 of 6,140
Capture+_2017-10-22-19-00-18.png
Sounds good to me

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #687 of 6,140
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #688 of 6,140
whats your impression of MQA by Merridian.

Sounds natural and clean so I'm happy. Was surprised to see this message when I tried to change the filters.
Capture+_2017-10-22-19-17-46.png
loving this phone! Used the V10 the last 2 years till it boot looped. Insurance gave me the v20 and I liked it but the size of it was just too big and after two weeks with it I sold it and bought the v30. I haven't done a lot of headphone listening with it yet but so far I'm impressed. I have nighthawks and m50x for phones and I do have a df red I can someday do comparisons with.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #689 of 6,140
I can't say I'm fond of the V30 dropping the removable battery and IR blaster (things I quite liked on my Note 4 and commended LG for retaining on the V10 and V20), but if this video's any indication, they at least had some foresight about not attaching cables directly to the fingerprint scanner that can be sliced through just trying to cut through all that edge adhesive. (I've already seen this guy slice through the Note 8's fingerprint scanner cable in that "transparent back mod" vid.)

Still waiting on the iFixit teardown, so this video is what we get. It's at least helpful to know in case the V30 needs to be serviced, and we all know that lithium batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, meaning someone's gonna have to get in there and swap cells eventually.

By the way, there's one other question nobody seems to have asked regarding the V-series audio capabilities, and which you're all likely to know: for the longest time, round-trip audio latency has been considered a problem on Android, hence why you'd see all those iRig sorta devices only work on iOS. Samsung introduced their own Professional Audio SDK to get around the latency-inducing Android audio stack, and said iRig products now utilize that SDK specifically since AOSP didn't even have its own standard low-latency API until AAudio in Oreo, which is only found on the Pixel lineup at the moment.

To get to the point: is the V30 (and perhaps the V20 and V10 before it) just as viable for music producers as well as consumers?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #690 of 6,140
About teardown: duuuude I've seen the A LOT of time ago, I swear, A LOT!! Google it!
About the latency: about what latency are you talking about? Recording a video? Listening to music?
I can tell you that rooting a phone and installing the sauron mod you can gain more SQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back