LG V30
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #691 of 6,140
About teardown: duuuude I've seen the A LOT of time ago, I swear, A LOT!! Google it!
About the latency: about what latency are you talking about? Recording a video? Listening to music?
I can tell you that rooting a phone and installing the sauron mod you can gain more SQ
Teardown: Hey, I didn't see anything on iFixit regarding the V30 and still don't. Ease up. Hell, I didn't know JerryRigEverything did teardowns in addition to scratch/bend tests until recently, so iFixit was always my go-to source regarding teardowns of new tech (barring the times when they botch things like disassembling an Oculus Rift camera sensor).

Latency: It's admittedly more important for musicians than consumers, particularly in that you don't want to hear a delay between when you strum a string or press a key and actually hear a note.

Here's an example of what can be done with one of those iRig devices connected to a modern smartphone: playing an electric guitar in a moving car.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #692 of 6,140
lol don't misunderstood mate, caps were used only to make you clear that i ve seen the teardown i don't even remember when cause was (sry lol) a lot of time ago. Btw: one of the easiest phone to teardown ever if I remember it well.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #693 of 6,140
No sweat, just know that all-caps is often interpreted as shouting in forum conversation. I like using italic and bold formatting to convey emphasized tones of speech without sounding too loud about it, if the forum or messaging system permits it.

At any rate, I'm just glad to see that the phone's not too much more of a pain to service than its contemporaries because of that sealed glass back. I've torn down my bro's LG G3 before; everything's held together with screws, and it's generally a pretty easy piece of kit to work on.

I just asked about the latency thing since I figured that if the V30 handles itself there, it could be just as ideal for making music as it is listening to it.

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #695 of 6,140
V20 uses ES9218 DAC, G6 plus uses ES9218+ DAC.

Whereas the latest V30 uses ES9218P DAC

So is the ES9218+ same as ES9218P DAC?

On ESS site they have mentioned only ES9218P

Quote from ESS site “The ES9218P SABRE HiFi SoC; 32-bit Stereo Mobile DAC with 2 Volt Headphone Amplifier” which means the quad DAC in G6 plus is same as V30 ?

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #696 of 6,140

Quote from ESS site “The ES9218P SABRE HiFi SoC; 32-bit Stereo Mobile DAC with 2 Volt Headphone Amplifier” which means the quad DAC in G6 plus is same as V30 ?

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/

I'd like to know this too.

However let's remember that the sound quality is defined by more significant things. The major thing all these phones have is a good DAC but more importantly well executed. Also it has an amp which scales its output to the headphone's needed. The change in sound from V20 to G6 (quad DAC) is modest, and probably down to slightly better implementation rather than an up issue of the IC used.

Perhaps the same will be true of the G6 to V30.

Nearly every other android phone available outside Asia has the Qualcomm built in DAC straight into the headphone socket. Adding a decent amp on that gives a good improvement if done well.

LG has gone further. I wish more people could appreciate it.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #697 of 6,140

I don't know the details, but they seem to be based on updated ES9218 chips. I know that on paper the V30 updated fav has lower distortion numbers, and I'm sure other minor improvements.

Can the differences be heard with our ears? I'm guessing most of us would be hard pressed to tell them apart of blindfolded. That's just my assumption. I guess I'll find you when I eventually get a V30.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #700 of 6,140
I don't know the details, but they seem to be based on updated ES9218 chips. I know that on paper the V30 updated fav has lower distortion numbers, and I'm sure other minor improvements.

Can the differences be heard with our ears? I'm guessing most of us would be hard pressed to tell them apart of blindfolded. That's just my assumption. I guess I'll find you when I eventually get a V30.
Thanks buddy, you are probably right

And for people like me who is using G6 as secondary phone and as a DAP mostly and not buying any dedicated DAP like FIIO etc a slight difference can be lived with specially when the price difference is more than double between V30 and G6

Will look forward for your assessment...Thanks in advance

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #701 of 6,140
I don't wanna stop you from buying the g6 but I warn you about g6 battery if used as FIRST phone and not as 2nd, I've seen a battery test of the v30: the phone fully charged and opened at 7am went on until it fully discharged at like 11.30pm ( with 4g, taking pics, Netflix offline on the 2h airplane mode cause the tester was on a plane, smartwatch etc etc), the same dude did the same battery test with the g6 and the phone died at like 6.30pm ( he've said its a great device anyway eh).
If you want I can link these test, they are in Italian and you could use google translate but you could also just watch the battery use screens in the pages

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #702 of 6,140
Yes, it does. Sure, they don't reach volumes I get on my desktop setup, but for a portable device, it gets loud enough. Maybe a little louder than the dragonfly red was.

Something is ****ed with mine, then.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #704 of 6,140
About teardown: duuuude I've seen the A LOT of time ago, I swear, A LOT!! Google it!
About the latency: about what latency are you talking about? Recording a video? Listening to music?
I can tell you that rooting a phone and installing the sauron mod you can gain more SQ

Music production latency, hence his use of the term "round-trip" and talking about music production.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #705 of 6,140
Just want to chime in with my honest opinion. V30 is the nicest android phone I've ever owned and I've owned almost every Samsung release in the past two years (T-mobile jump on demand). If anyone is considering it, I'd say go for it. The only concern I had was the reported screen issues, but mine is perfectly fine. The fact that it is able to drive my HD800S nicely is just icing on the cake. I traded in my note 8 for it.

Re: the screen. Yes, this was an issue with devices manufactured on 9/17, per the label on the box. This is likely why in the US, T-mo held back the retail launch of the device and was only doing online orders.

Any device with a manufacture date of 10/17 does not appear to have the blotchy-screen issues. I have verified this with my own device which I got this last friday (Oct. 20). It also does not have the sRGB color mode that the Pixels have (though it can be enabled in dev mode).

Also, I thought that I had done something wrong when I restored settings/data over from the G6 and that is why I couldn't see the DAC modes. Turns out, per the XDA thread I found, this is only for T-mo devices in the US as of now. AT&T & VZW do show the modes, waiting confirmation from Sprint and others.
--

This phone it's so much lighter than the V20 (even lighter than the G6) and it drives my Audeze iSine 10 and Pinnacle P1s perfectly fine. No need for my Fiio Q1 anymore. I am now looking to get full-size cans to get even more out of the phone.

--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back