LG V30
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,216 of 6,140
Man, actually keep going back and forth between Tidal on my desktop using a Fulla 2 and HD 650's and the V30 using Tidal via the UAPP app and the former definitely sounds a lot better. Maybe my ears are damaged but maxing out the V30 at volume 72, it's a good volume don't get me wrong but I wish it could go louder. But besides the volume difference, the sound quality is just not as good. Tempted to return the phone and just get a Pixel 2.
That's not an entirely fair comparison. The Tidal Android app is crippled right now - on any Android device. It's doubly crippled on the V30, because all the 44/16 content (99.9% of the current library) is going to get upsampled to 48 kHz. The HO of UAPP isn't going to be any different in this regard. We're all going to have to be patient waiting for Tidal to get fixed.

But let's play Devil's advocate and stay you return it - what would the Pixel 2 have that you're currently missing with the V30??

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,217 of 6,140
That's not an entirely fair comparison. The Tidal Android app is crippled right now - on any Android device. It's doubly crippled on the V30, because all the 44/16 content (99.9% of the current library) is going to get upsampled to 48 kHz. The HO of UAPP isn't going to be any different in this regard. We're all going to have to be patient waiting for Tidal to get fixed.

But let's play Devil's advocate and stay you return it - what would the Pixel 2 have that you're currently missing with the V30??

Right, I realize it's down to Tidal's current limitations but do we know for certain they will get fixed in the future? Have they even acknowledged there is an issue? Pixel 2 has a better camera and Android 8.0. Will be updated and supported for longer (at least 3 years I believe) by Google.

Nov 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,218 of 6,140
Right, I realize it's down to Tidal's current limitations but do we know for certain they will get fixed in the future? Have they even acknowledged there is an issue? Pixel 2 has a better camera and Android 8.0. Will be updated and supported for longer (at least 3 years I believe) by Google.
and no 3.5mm jack, I wouldn't buy such phone just cuz of it, no matter other specs.

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,220 of 6,140
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #1,221 of 6,140
Me neither, but I guess it's up to each individual how important it is to have a marginally better camera and the ability to get those additional slightly-less-lossy bluetooth codecs a month or two earlier than everybody else.

to me, why I choose LG V30:
choose LG V30 over Samsung S8: better audio, better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode), more beautiful (I love the metal frame), better screen aspect ratio, feels better in the hand.
choose LG V30 over Pixel, Pixel 2: better audio (pixel 2 has no audio), more beautiful, better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode)
choose LG V30 to replace Meizu Pro 5: better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode), more beautiful (I love the metal frame).
(but audio is not as good, every time if I want to listen to music, I still need to use Meizu Pro 5. basically I have to carry two phones all the time)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,222 of 6,140
1111172216_HDR.jpg

Showing off the v30's camera. Auto mode quick pic.

Didnt expect to see this tonight

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,223 of 6,140
every time if I want to listen to music, I still need to use Meizu Pro 5. basically I have to carry two phones all the time)

You need to carry two phones because the V30's audio is inadequate - is that correct?

I've not heard the Meizu Pro 5, but it sounds like something is wrong with your V30, since my V30 isn't that far behind the best desktop DACs.The whole point of this phone is that you shouldn't need to carry a separate device. Which music-player apps are you using on your V30?

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,224 of 6,140
You need to carry two phones because the V30's audio is inadequate - is that correct?

I've not heard the Meizu Pro 5, but it sounds like something is wrong with your V30, since my V30 isn't that far behind the best desktop DACs.The whole point of this phone is that you shouldn't need to carry a separate device. Which music-player apps are you using on your V30?

Hi,

Which desktop dac are you comparing the V30 With ?

Someone have compare the V30 and G6 SQ?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,225 of 6,140
Hi,

Which desktop dac are you comparing the V30 With ?

Someone have compare the V30 and G6 SQ?

Thanks

I've done extensive A/B tests against the Chord Hugo 2 and the Chord Dave. Against the Hugo 2, it's much closer than I was expecting. The Dave is better than either (but Dave is much larger and carries a sticker price of more than $10,000). I still think it's very odd for someone to feel the need to carry a separate portable device because the V30 doesn't sound good enough. Something's really wrong there. Either somebody has a defective V30, or they're not using Neutron (or they haven't correctly configured Neutron to use the internal DAC at native sample rate), or there's something else that's fishy, e.g., perhaps the Meizu Pro 5 has a higher output impedance and @yfei has a preference for a bit more bass?

I've never owned a G6, so I can't comment on comparative SQ there. Sorry.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,226 of 6,140
to me, why I choose LG V30:
choose LG V30 over Samsung S8: better audio, better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode), more beautiful (I love the metal frame), better screen aspect ratio, feels better in the hand.
choose LG V30 over Pixel, Pixel 2: better audio (pixel 2 has no audio), more beautiful, better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode)
choose LG V30 to replace Meizu Pro 5: better camera (wide angle, CINE video mode), more beautiful (I love the metal frame).
(but audio is not as good, every time if I want to listen to music, I still need to use Meizu Pro 5. basically I have to carry two phones all the time)

FWIW, the v30 camera isn't really better than the S8 or Pixel, it just has a wide angle and the CINE video mode, the actual lens capability isn't better. And its front camera is baaaaaad.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,227 of 6,140
I've done extensive A/B tests against the Chord Hugo 2 and the Chord Dave. Against the Hugo 2, it's much closer than I was expecting. The Dave is better than either (but Dave is much larger and carries a sticker price of more than $10,000). I still think it's very odd for someone to feel the need to carry a separate portable device because the V30 doesn't sound good enough. Something's really wrong there. Either somebody has a defective V30, or they're not using Neutron (or they haven't correctly configured Neutron to use the internal DAC at native sample rate), or there's something else that's fishy, e.g., perhaps the Meizu Pro 5 has a higher output impedance and @yfei has a preference for a bit more bass?

I've never owned a G6, so I can't comment on comparative SQ there. Sorry.
What iem you use for testing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back