LG V30
Nov 8, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,171 of 6,140
Has anyone tried bluetooth vs AUX in the car? I wonder if there would be a big difference between the two. I currently use bluetooth for convenience but may hook up the AUX to test out.
For some strange reason, bluetooth seems to sound better in the car. Didn't really do a thorough test though.

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,172 of 6,140
Sorry for steering things slightly back to audio - I don't think I've even used the camera on my V30 yet :wink:

The reason for this post is that there seems to be no single music app for the V30 that's optimal (or even works) in all situations. Here's my attempt at a (hopefully) not-too-techy summary of where we're at. If I'm wrong, or have missed something crucial (or if anybody knows a fix for Neutron DSD playback), please let me know.

Ok, I give up with html tables! Here's the basic text stuff:

LG Music app
Pros:

Plays all hi-res PCM formats without down-sampling and plays DSD via DoP
Cons:
Up-samples all 44/16 FLAC to 48/16 and outputs everything via USB as 48/16

Neutron
Pros:

Plays all PCM files at original sample rate through the internal DAC (or through USB-out if the "Direct USB Driver" option under the Audio Hardware menu is set to on). DSD can also be played via USB-out with DoP on.
Cons:
DoP doesn't work via HO (no audio output). With DoP off, Neutron converts all DSD to user-given-sample-rate PCM (via both internal DAC and USB out).

USB Audio Player Pro
Pros:

Outputs everything correctly via USB
Cons:
Can't (yet) play anything other than 48 kHz Android-resampled audio through the internal DAC

Why does all this matter? The V30 is an awesome-sounding phone, but it sounds even better if you play files back in their native formats. On certain tracks, the audio quality improvement in native 44/16 playback on Neutron versus up-sampled 48 kHz/16 via the LG Music app is easily noticeable.

Updated 11/11/2017. Thanks to @chillaxing for pointing out that DoP works via USB-out in Neutron.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,174 of 6,140
If paired with the Oppo HA-2, does the V30 suffer from downsampling?

It depends on the app you use to drive the USB-out. If you use the USB Audio Player Pro app, you should be fine :)

P.S. But it would be interesting to see what kind of improvement you'd get in sound quality, versus just playing directly through the V30. The V30 sounds really, really good by itself. My guess is the HA-2 would be an unnecessary overkill.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,175 of 6,140
Has anyone tried comparing the audio quality between the v30 and say the s8? There are some non audio features that i like about the s8 more. However I am undecided about whether the v30 audio is significantly better if I plan to use efficient IEMs (campfire Lyra II, shure 535, noble k10).

Any input would be appreciated!

I don't have the V30 (yet), but do have a V20 and a Note 8. The V20 does sound better than the Note 8, it not just about being able to drive high impedance headphones to louder volumes. It is a better and cleaner sound. However I wouldn't call the Note 8 "garbage". It's on par with or better than most smartphone in the audio department. The LG V series is just better than just about anything else and pretty much in a leagues of it own as a modern flagship with HiFi audio quality chops.

If audio quality is you main concern the V30 is at the top of the list. If not and the other features of the Note 8 interest you more, then it a fantastic option. I carry two phone for work and personal so I can have both. If I could only have one it would be the Note 8, as audio on the go is a secondary concern ( have desktop dac/AMP for home use and a couple small DAPs if needed).

You could also pickup a V20 fairly cheaply currently and maybe even more so on Black Friday if there a deal somewhere. The V20 could be used as a nice Android DAP with WiFi streaming, while the Note 8 could be a daily workhorse.

It's just a matter of what's most important to you.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,176 of 6,140
I don't have the V30 (yet), but do have a V20 and a Note 8. The V20 does sound better than the Note 8, it not just about being able to drive high impedance headphones to louder volumes. It is a better and cleaner sound. However I wouldn't call the Note 8 "garbage". It's on par with or better than most smartphone in the audio department. The LG V series is just better than just about anything else and pretty much in a leagues of it own as a modern flagship with HiFi audio quality chops.

If audio quality is you main concern the V30 is at the top of the list. If not and the other features of the Note 8 interest you more, then it a fantastic option. I carry two phone for work and personal so I can have both. If I could only have one it would be the Note 8, as audio on the go is a secondary concern ( have desktop dac/AMP for home use and a couple small DAPs if needed).

You could also pickup a V20 fairly cheaply currently and maybe even more so on Black Friday if there a deal somewhere. The V20 could be used as a nice Android DAP with WiFi streaming, while the Note 8 could be a daily workhorse.

It's just a matter of what's most important to you.

Yes...V20 can be had for a great deal--just don't get it from Sprint!! They have confirmed having neutered the LG music app from the phone (undownloadable)--which as we've attested is the only way to listen to hi-res on the V series phone as it will likely never see Oreo! There's a reason it's only $250 in-store.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,177 of 6,140
Yes...V20 can be had for a great deal--just don't get it from Sprint!! They have confirmed having neutered the LG music app from the phone (undownloadable)--which as we've attested is the only way to listen to hi-res on the V series phone as it will likely never see Oreo!

There is one other... Neutron plays all sample-rate/bit-depth PCM files back nicely through the ESS DAC :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,178 of 6,140
Sorry for steering things slightly back to audio - I don't think I've even used the camera on my V30 yet :wink:

The reason for this post is that there seems to be no single music app for the V30 that's optimal (or even works) in all situations. Here's my attempt at a (hopefully) not-too-techy summary of where we're at. If I'm wrong, or have missed something crucial (or if anybody knows a fix for Neutron DSD playback), please let me know.

Ok, I give up with html tables! Here's the basic text stuff:

LG Music app
Pros:

Plays all hi-res PCM formats without down-sampling and plays DSD via DoP
Cons:
Up-samples all 44/16 FLAC to 48/16 and outputs everything via USB as 48/16

Neutron
Pros:

Plays all PCM files at original sample rate through the internal DAC (or through USB-out if the "Direct USB Driver" option under the Audio Hardware menu is set to on)
Cons:
DoP doesn't work, so Neutron converts all DSD to user-given-sample-rate PCM (via both internal DAC and USB out)

USB Audio Player Pro
Pros:

Outputs everything correctly via USB
Cons:
Can't (yet) play anything other than 48 kHz Android-resampled audio through the internal DAC

Why does all this matter? The V30 is an awesome-sounding phone, but it sounds even better if you play files back in their native formats. On certain tracks, the audio quality improvement in native 44/16 playback on Neutron versus up-sampled 48 kHz/16 via the LG Music app is easily noticeable.

DoP works for me on neutron. USB out to Mojo, mojo shows DSD coloring

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,180 of 6,140
That's great! Could you post your settings under audio hardware?
Screenshot_2017-11-08-21-22-52[1].png
Screenshot_2017-11-08-21-23-35[1].png

First screenshot is the most important, sec one is just showing that its working.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #1,182 of 6,140
I think it is because he used with mojo but you use it directly from 3.5 mm.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,184 of 6,140
its through usb.

1108172226[1].jpg

It might be a setting somewhere. Try resetting everything or delete and redownload the player. I've been using Neutron for awhile and find it finicky at times when connecting an external device. This what i do, connect dac without it being on, open app, turn on dac. Usually works when i do that. Sometimes with my iphone, when it doesn't see the dac, i would need to reboot the phone. the iphone is purely a transport for the mojo

Through HO? I have no idea if its playing DSD right. But DOP is off when im using straight from HO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back