LG V30
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #556 of 6,140
"Lols" & "head shakes" at those of you selling off your dedicated DAPs now that you have the V30. It's still a PHONE. I do plan to get the V30 but I will never get rid of my DAPs/amps. Number one reason is battery. For the amount of time I listen to music in a day the battery charge life of a phone would need to improve by 150% to 200% at least. Second reason it is often nice to be able to listen to audio without remembering to turn off incoming calls, notifications, and text messaging. I bet one day you'll miss not having your dedicated hi-res DAP.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckles. Looking forward to the new toy within the next day or two.

Side note: remember when the HTC One M8 was considered the be all and end all of "audiophile phones"?

So many DAPs are running variants of Android anyway that a 3rd generation smartphone with discrete dac/amp chips and equally good sound is an easy choice. Dedicated players will always have benefits (like balanced outputs and manual gain) but why bother with pricier high-end players (some of whom struggle with simple tasks like streaming Tidal) when cheaper phones like the V30 series can do so much more?

As for battery life when playing music, if anything, the V series last longer than most dedicated players. AFAIK only Sony's players last longer; you're lucky if you get 10 hours with other high-end DAPs. And how hard is to turn on airplane mode? No different than having a dedicated player with wifi.

I'm still on my V10 and may upgrade to the V30 in near future. Once you hear the V series you may feel differently (i.e. not laughing) about head-fiers preferring a smartphone over dedicated players.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #557 of 6,140
Battery on the V30 while listening to music is incredible actually... Last night I ran it at full volume to my stereo and it used four percent... In nine hours.

And the do not disturb button on any smartphone is infinitely easy to use so I'm not understanding your gripe there.

And how many of the DAPs with better audio quality have removable memory?... You can put a 2TB SD card in the V30.

Plus the fact this it is indeed still a phone means you can stream high-res music without Wi-Fi... I don't think any DAPs can do that.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #558 of 6,140
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #559 of 6,140
"Lols" & "head shakes" at those of you selling off your dedicated DAPs now that you have the V30. It's still a PHONE. I do plan to get the V30 but I will never get rid of my DAPs/amps. Number one reason is battery. For the amount of time I listen to music in a day the battery charge life of a phone would need to improve by 150% to 200% at least. Second reason it is often nice to be able to listen to audio without remembering to turn off incoming calls, notifications, and text messaging. I bet one day you'll miss not having your dedicated hi-res DAP.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckles. Looking forward to the new toy within the next day or two.

Side note: remember when the HTC One M8 was considered the be all and end all of "audiophile phones"?

It depends on life style, IMO. So there is no right or wrong for them to sell or not to sell. :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #560 of 6,140
Battery on the V30 while listening to music is incredible actually... Last night I ran it at full volume to my stereo and it used four percent... In nine hours.

And the do not disturb button on any smartphone is infinitely easy to use so I'm not understanding your gripe there.

And how many of the DAPs with better audio quality have removable memory?... You can put a 2TB SD card in the V30.

Plus the fact this it is indeed still a phone means you can stream high-res music without Wi-Fi... I don't think any DAPs can do that.

1. That's indeed good for battery life.
2. Still a pain or easy to forget imo. But I'm old.
3. All of mine have removable storage. Never bought any DAP that didn't have (except iPods/Zune)
4. True but that means a serious cellular data plan. And I'd be skeptical on streaming quality/dropouts.

I look forward to testing all this out when I get the V30.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #561 of 6,140
It depends on life style, IMO. So there is no right or wrong for them to sell or not to sell. :wink:

Not saying "wrong", just silly.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #562 of 6,140
I kid you not. Below are the most recent shockers:

I sold my DX200 long before the V30 was even announced. I didn't sell it because of the V30; I sold it because it was crap. It was lacking in top-end sparkle, had zero sub-bass and had limited functionality on account of no Google Play services support.

I have no plans to sell my QP1R and have already stated I still prefer the sound of the QP1R. But... had I been in the market for a DAP that can stream Tidal... well, now I probably wouldn't be. I've not yet found a good quality DAP that can stream that doesn't have major RFI/EMI problems, UI issues, bugs or software glitches. The V30 ticks all those boxes for me.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #563 of 6,140

Although I agree mostly, and find it silly that he's laughing because some are content with the audio from smartphones like the V20 & V30. Your stranger if quite off.

Most of not all DAPs offer removable storage, done even offer dial SD Card slots. 2TB SD cards done exist and if they did DAPs could use them too.

I have two DAPs I greatly use because my V20 sound so good and as you say allows music streaming even if there is no wifi. I look forward to getting a V30 once prices drop a bit.

I can also understand why done might prefer a DAP, just not why they would laugh at someone for being content with their phone as an all in one.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #565 of 6,140
Ok I listened to the v30 again of course it sounds awesome BUT

Allow me to criticize the v30 just a tad bit:

1. V30 is nearly the same quality as the v20, not a huge upgrade or an entire years worth of upgrade capacity. I feel like a year is long enough to make the audio quality substantially better.

2. The digital filters are nice, but that's just a baby version of viper4android imo.

EDIT:

BTW you can get v20 now for $278.99 vs $800+ heck you can buy 3 v20 for price of 1 v30 http://amzn.to/2xdADA3

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #566 of 6,140

1. V30 is nearly the same quality as the v20, not a huge upgrade or an entire years worth of upgrade capacity. I feel like a year is long enough to make the audio quality substantially better.

2. The digital filters are nice, but that's just a baby version of viper4android imo.

Have patience. I'm sure there will be a root-able version eventually.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #569 of 6,140
What Tmob
Are we sure its just software on tmobile and not them pulling the dac or some nonsense like that .
Yea, I can hear a huge difference with my hd800s with it on, so I know it's working. It just doesn't tell you the mode it's in.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #570 of 6,140

EDIT:

BTW you can get v20 now for $278.99 vs $800+ heck you can buy 3 v20 for price of 1 v30 http://amzn.to/2xdADA3

Any chance you heard the G6 Quad DAC version and can compare V30 sq with G6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back