LG V30
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4,772 of 6,140
One question, why do you need extension cable? Why not headphones > imp adapter > v30?

The trick is to leave a plug in the V30's headphone port after triggering HIM. If you remove that plug, it'll re-detect impedance next time you plug something in. So if you want to get the Imp Adapter off the chain (where it will affect the sound) it cannot be plugged into the phone.

Hence either the extension cable or a TRS adapter. Or you put the Imp Adapter on the other end of the cable (between the cable and the headphones) so you can leave the cable plugged into the phone.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #4,773 of 6,140
Because the adapter has some sort of filter which greatly reduces volume.

You need to enable HIM and then remove the adapter to get the full SQ out of the DAC.

Exactly as you say!

If it were merely the reduced volume, it might not be a problem, as long as the DAC and OpAmp has enough power to drive the headphones to acceptable levels.

But the added impedance will change the frequency response (and hence sound signature) of the headphones, which were designed around a certain impedance. Again, some people may prefer that change, which is fine. It's just not as pure.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #4,774 of 6,140
be
One question, why do you need extension cable? Why not headphones > imp adapter > v30?
because you need to pull out the imp adapter to listen music. the adapter degrades the sound

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #4,775 of 6,140
For what its worth:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EAADPT-KIT-Adapter-Combines-Attachable/dp/B001P5HL3S

I have this Shure Attachable Volume Control and it triggers high impedance on the V30 without the need for the impedance adapter plug. Been using this to trigger high impedance since the V10. Was about to grab the impedance adapter plug since I thought it would be more convenience to do away with a wired extension cable until @Dannemand description of the change to the frequency response.

So if anyone wishes to trigger high impedance mode without an extra step (or root), this is a good alternative.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #4,776 of 6,140
For what its worth:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EAADPT-KIT-Adapter-Combines-Attachable/dp/B001P5HL3S

I have this Shure Attachable Volume Control and it triggers high impedance on the V30 without the need for the impedance adapter plug. Been using this to trigger high impedance since the V10. Was about to grab the impedance adapter plug since I thought it would be more convenience to do away with a wired extension cable until @Dannemand description of the change to the frequency response.

So if anyone wishes to trigger high impedance mode without an extra step (or root), this is a good alternative.

Any connector that engages high impedance will work.
For what its worth:

You do need either an extra extension cable or an adaptor in order to take full advantage of the high impedance mode.
Otherwise, the high impedance adaptor by itself would engage more power from the amp but the overall volume would be lower.
First, you connect the high impedance adaptor to either an extension or an adaptor ( I chose an L adaptor, se photo) without the iems. Then, you connect it to the phone which will engage high
impedance mode. Finally, you disconnect the high impedance adaptor while leaving the extension or the L adaptor connected to the phone, then you connect your iems.
Capture+_2019-01-17-22-29-55.png

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #4,777 of 6,140
I have been living with a little Shanling M0 which uses the same dac as the V30, since xmas, and am suitably blown away. It's on par with the V30, i'd say, in terms of SQ. Great little player.

Well worth it as a companion piece to the V30 for more portable use. Its LDAC bluetooth capability is also brill... it's opened up use of my other phone, Note 8, again.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #4,778 of 6,140
I have been living with a little Shanling M0 which uses the same dac as the V30, since xmas, and am suitably blown away. It's on par with the V30, i'd say, in terms of SQ. Great little player.

Well worth it as a companion piece to the V30 for more portable use. Its LDAC bluetooth capability is also brill... it's opened up use of my other phone, Note 8, again.
I have heard good things about the M0!

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #4,779 of 6,140

Same here...bought it for running/working out/walks/etc. great for those use cases.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #4,784 of 6,140
Tidal HiFi: iPhone 7 vs LG V30+

I got my V30+ today and have spent half a day setting it up for Tidal HiFi playback. System updates took a good couple of hours. I've also got UAPP for an alternative way to play back my Tidal playlists. However, this is a direct comparison between the Tidal app running on an iPhone 7 vs the Tidal app running on an LG V30+. The V30+ was configured to use its internal 'quad' DAC. The same headphones were used (BGVP DM6 and AKG N40 IEMs) between both phones and the same (HiFi quality) songs were used. The headphones were connected using a Lightning to 3.5mm socket adapter on the iPhone and directly plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the V30+.

Both phones were connected to my WiFi router using 5GHz with a very strong WiFi signal as the router is in the same room as the phones.

Initial impressions: the same song (Chuck Loeb - "Geraldine") sounds flat and distant on the iPhone. It's a lot more engaging and emotionally more involving on the V30+. Changing to a track with vocals (Najee - "We'll Be Missing You") and the vocal details are more apparent on the V30+. In comparison, the song is 'polite' on the iPhone 7. There is more richness to the audio on the V30+.

Changing headphones to the AKG N40 and the musicality is even more apparent on the V30+. I know that SBC is happening but I'm not listening out for such artefacts at the moment. The music sounds very, very nice to me on both of my test tracks. The N40s have a lovely thumping bass that is very apparent when listening on the V30+. Switching over to the iPhone 7 and once again, the songs sound 'polite'. Everything is recessed and some distance away. Vocals on the second test track are pleasant but it sounds a bit like 'radio' rather than someone singing in my room. There's a lack of realism compared to the V30+.

So, in summary: The iPhone 7 vs the LG V30+ Tidal HiFi streaming battle is fairly easily won by the LG V30+ for sheer musicality and emotional involvement. It was a bit of a risk buying a second phone to use as a DAP but I'm glad I did in the end. I haven't used any of the V30+'s features like the camera. It's just for music.

My next test will be to see whether UAPP makes a noticeable improvement for Tidal HiFi streaming over the Tidal app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back