LG V30
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #4,786 of 6,140
@Taz777 great job.

From my early listening sessions and comparison of Tidal audio from iPhone XS Max and LG V30 I found the results quite opposite to your iPhone 7. I had expected the LG with its Quad DAC to be the clear winner.

Listening to Khalid’s Suncity album I found the iPhone XS to offer more detail, clarity and and and a holographic 3D like stereo sound. It was more involving. I used Fidue A73 and Fidelio X2 headphones. DM6 arriving any day :D

It could be that the XS has better audio out through the headphone adapter DAC than the iPhone 7 did. I upgraded from iPhone 6 to XS.

You’ve made me curious again to do more comparative listening tonight. ; )

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,787 of 6,140
@archy121 The iPhone 7 has particularly poor audio. The XS may have better audio components than the 7. My iPad Pro is a lot better than my iPhone. However, I was looking for a DAP to enable better audio for travel purposes and long walks. I stumbled upon this thread and bought a V30+.

Tomorrow I’ll try to locate the album you’ve mentioned and do a further listening comparison. I presume the album you referenced is available on Tidal HiFi?

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,788 of 6,140
@archy121 The iPhone 7 has particularly poor audio. The XS may have better audio components than the 7. My iPad Pro is a lot better than my iPhone. However, I was looking for a DAP to enable better audio for travel purposes and long walks. I stumbled upon this thread and bought a V30+.

Tomorrow I’ll try to locate the album you’ve mentioned and do a further listening comparison. I presume the album you referenced is available on Tidal HiFi?

I did the same in buying LG as a dedicated DAP because of its DAC, 3.5mm jack and MQA unfolding. Your iPhone 7 will be great as a dedicated smartphone especially because it offers better privacy than droids.

And yes the Suncity album is on Tidal.
It is a fabulous quality recording and hope you enjoy it. Vertigo and Motion being the standout tracks for me.

BTW did you get a copper cable to go with DM6 ?

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #4,790 of 6,140
@Taz777 great job.

From my early listening sessions and comparison of Tidal audio from iPhone XS Max and LG V30 I found the results quite opposite to your iPhone 7. I had expected the LG with its Quad DAC to be the clear winner.

Listening to Khalid’s Suncity album I found the iPhone XS to offer more detail, clarity and and and a holographic 3D like stereo sound. It was more involving. I used Fidue A73 and Fidelio X2 headphones. DM6 arriving any day :D

It could be that the XS has better audio out through the headphone adapter DAC than the iPhone 7 did. I upgraded from iPhone 6 to XS.

You’ve made me curious again to do more comparative listening tonight. ; )

From all the reviews and comments about the LG V30s superb audio and DAC that I've read this is the first review I've read about another smartphone having better audio than the V30.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #4,792 of 6,140
Jan 20, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #4,794 of 6,140
No other phones currently available have audio quality close to LG's phones, nor the ability to drive higher impedance cans.

Oppo used to take audio seriously, but now cater to teenage girls with their 'selfie-focused' phones.

So if no other phone has the same audio quality as the LG V30 why did you originally reply saying it isn’t the first review that mentions another phone has better audio quality than the LG V30.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #4,796 of 6,140
I meant that it isn't better than the V30.

Have you had the chance to compare iPhone XS Max to LG V30?

What is your opinion based on ?

Obviously the LG V30 is better in that it offers 3.5mm jack, LDAC and can drive higher OHM headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #4,797 of 6,140
Have you had the chance to compare iPhone XS Max to LG V30?

What is your opinion based on ?

Obviously the LG V30 is better in that it offers 3.5mm jack, LDAC and can drive higher OHM headphones.

Hmmm, those are 3 pretty significant, tangible features.

For my use case, two of them (3.5mm jack and more power) are enough to be a tie-breaker for me...even assuming that I could hear 'more detail, clarity and a holographic 3D like stereo sound' differences like you can. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #4,800 of 6,140
Hmmm, those are 3 pretty significant, tangible features.

For my use case, two of them (3.5mm jack and more power) are enough to be a tie-breaker for me...even assuming that I could hear 'more detail, clarity and a holographic 3D like stereo sound' differences like you can. :wink:

And also the reason why I still have the LG V30 as a dedicated DAP. But it does not change how I hear both phones using wired headphones albeit the iPhone with the additional 3.5mm headphone adapter.

LG sounds fantastic and than if I do an A-B against the iPhone XS I discover it’s not as emotionally involving because of its sound signature difference. The better clarity and 3D stereo (bigger soundstage?) makes that difference. Also Sub bass is also presented better in the iPhone.
Eg Vertigo sound track by Khalid at 1:05+ Sub Bass has more definition and is more visceral in comparison.

Just had to A-B listen again before typing this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back