LG V30
Aug 31, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,871 of 6,140
I have a question. I'm using the lg v30 rooted with a custom ROM. I just purchased UAPP and am listening to it thru my thinksound On2 (50 impedance). The hi res DAC is not showing up anywhere, so is it working?

The ROM I am using for now is the dotOS. With this ROM, the settings sound menu does not have quad DAC available (missing--nothing there). Also the his res detection app does not show it working. So, can I conclude that it is not working or??? just not detecting it? Because I thought it was supposed to work. I have my music stored on, and am listening to it from the external sd card. Thx, any insight or help is appreciated. Music does sound good to my ears :>)
Frank

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #3,873 of 6,140
I have a question. I'm using the lg v30 rooted with a custom ROM. I just purchased UAPP and am listening to it thru my thinksound On2 (50 impedance). The hi res DAC is not showing up anywhere, so is it working?

The ROM I am using for now is the dotOS. With this ROM, the settings sound menu does not have quad DAC available (missing--nothing there). Also the his res detection app does not show it working. So, can I conclude that it is not working or??? just not detecting it? Because I thought it was supposed to work. I have my music stored on, and am listening to it from the external sd card. Thx, any insight or help is appreciated. Music does sound good to my ears :>)
Frank
Good question - you're the second person to ask this. It depends on your ROM, but my guess is your custom ROM is missing the necessary drivers. There are supposed to be 70 volume steps when the ESS DAC is active. I suspect you're only get the usual 15 steps, right? (Unless you're overriding that with something like the Xposed framework).

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #3,874 of 6,140

Frank
So the DAC doesn't show under the pull down menu? Have you downloaded the HiFi Status app from Google Play? I'm also using the Thinksound On2 with my V30. Killer combo, and they trigger high impedance.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #3,875 of 6,140
So the DAC doesn't show under the pull down menu? Have you downloaded the HiFi Status app from Google Play? I'm also using the Thinksound On2 with my V30. Killer combo, and they trigger high impedance.

I use the HiFi Status app on my T-Mobile LG V30, and it works great!! The T-Mobile version for some reason doesn't display the mode you're in like the Verizon one does, so this app comes in handy.

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #3,876 of 6,140
I use the HiFi Status app on my T-Mobile LG V30, and it works great!! The T-Mobile version for some reason doesn't display the mode you're in like the Verizon one does, so this app comes in handy.
I am using same app because of Tmobile version.
Also I have upgraded from V30 to the LG G7 thinQ which also has the Quad dac..
It looks the same and seems to perform the same.
The only difference is the phone slimmer longer screen and the change from ammoled to LCD makes it somewhat more visible in direct sunlight without having to boost the brightness and performance is slightly quicker with slightly better battery life even though its battery is smaller so it all adds up to a decent upgrade.
I was hoping for control of the Quad-dac but nope it's same as V30 .

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #3,877 of 6,140
I am using same app because Mobile version.
Also I have upgraded from V30 to the LG G7 thinQ which also has the Quad dac..
It looks the same and seems to perform the same.
The only difference is the phone slimmer longer screen and the change from ammoled to LCD makes it somewhat more visible in direct sunlight without having to boost the brightness and performance is slightly quicker with slightly better battery life even though its battery is smaller so it all adds up to a decent upgrade.
I was hoping for control of the Quad-dac but nope it's same as V30 .

That's the first time I've seen anyone think the G7 has better battery life than the V30. The SD845 is less efficient than the SD835 and the LCD screen is less efficient than the OLED found in the V30.

This is backed up by both GSMArena and PhoneArena's test results.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #3,878 of 6,140
That's the first time I've seen anyone think the G7 has better battery life than the V30. The SD845 is less efficient than the SD835 and the LCD screen is less efficient than the OLED found in the V30.

Whoops edit first line:
They are not wrong, but simply don't know what they are talking about, in real usage...

I owned and loved my v30 and only reason for upgrade was change from garbage Sprint coverage to excellent T-Mobile coverage in my areas which I investigated myself thoroughly before switching carriers.

My battery life was quite good with V30 as I lowered resolution but had the "life" tracking app sucking battery, and for some reason I always needed the screen fairly high to keep readable in daily usage and also especially direct sunlight.
The piss poor coverage area for my carrier (Sprint), also resulted in my phone needing to use battery to maintain signal.

That are the key areas which both my new carrier, and the switch to LCD screen address.

The screen is MORE visible in direct sunlight at half brightness fully readable, whereas the V30 ammo-led needed to be a full brightness or almost full brightness, plus at lower resolution to maintain excess battery usage.

Then the increase in better carrier signal coverage means not only faster response but less signal drain from the radio part of the rim, so less battery drain..

This combine to way less battery usage and noticeably better battery life on the G7 thin Q.

Before I purchased the phone, I directly compared the Screen to a galaxy note 9 to see the difference.
The Samsung had a glare aspect to its color, while the LG had a smoother more uniform brightness..
It resulted in a more resolution appearance which probably was due to non-saturation of colors.
Yet, To match and surpass the Samsung screen, it had to be run on max brightness.
Once I compared it was easy to note that the LG screen would be easier on the eyes while being just as bright,
But in daily use, I never use at full brightness, unlike the V30 ammoled screen.

So real world usage is more important than reviews.
The reviews are misleading.

The G7 thinQ phone is both slimmer and slightly longer lasting (most prob due to carrier service) to me, than the V30.
But the main advantage for me is ability to see better in direct sunlight.
If this is not noted in reviews, it is a tell-tale sign that they are being partially biased..
:)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #3,879 of 6,140
They are wrong and simply don't know what they are talking about.

I owned and loved my v30 and only reason for upgrade was change from garbage Sprint coverage to excellent T-Mobile coverage in my areas which I investigated myself thoroughly before switching carriers.

My battery life was quite good with V30 as I lowered resolution but had the "life" tracking app sucking battery, and for some reason I always needed the screen fairly high to keep readable in daily usage and also especially direct sunlight.
The piss poor coverage area for my carrier (Sprint), also resulted in my phone needing to use battery to maintain signal.

That are the key areas which both my new carrier, and the switch to LCD screen address.

The screen is MORE visible in direct sunlight at half brightness fully readable, whereas the V30 ammo-led needed to be a full brightness or almost full brightness, plus at lower resolution to maintain excess battery usage.

Then the increase in better carrier signal coverage means not only faster response but less signal drain from the radio part of the rim, so less battery drain..

This combine to way less battery usage and noticeably better battery life on the G7 thin Q.

Before I purchased the phone, I directly compared the Screen to a galaxy note 9 to see the difference.
The Samsung had a glare aspect to its color, while the LG had a smoother more uniform brightness..
It resulted in a more resolution appearance which probably was due to non-saturation of colors.
Yet, To match and surpass the Samsung screen, it had to be run on max brightness.
Once I compared it was easy to note that the LG screen would be easier on the eyes while being just as bright,
But in daily use, I never use at full brightness, unlike the V30 ammoled screen.

The G7 thinQ phone is both slimmer and slightly longer lasting (most prob due to carrier service) to me, than the V30.
If this is not noted in reviews, it is a tell-tale sign that they are being partially biased..

Interesting to hear how different people use the same device a little differently and their situation throws up specific issues - fascinating.

I do agree that battery tests are hit & miss, but also think they're done using the same criteria for every phone where possible. The screen would only be set to 200 to 300 nits - much lower than you have yours.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3,880 of 6,140
I edit my first line because they are not wrong, just looking at it the wrong way..

The processor is more hungry but faster, so it won't linger around to eat battery...

The screen is not as efficient(?), yet it is better to use in actual usage so you can set the brightness lower and not burn your retinas while trying to see ha

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,881 of 6,140
Whoops edit first line:
They are not wrong, but simply don't know what they are talking about, in real usage...

Agreed. Reviews should be for guidance for YOUR real world usage. That's why forums like this are so useful.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #3,882 of 6,140

Whoops edit first line:

Or perhaps you expierance different results do to your particular device or usage or both.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #3,883 of 6,140

Is that really true? If so, that's bad. lol I mean about the processor. I knew OLED was better than LCD.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #3,884 of 6,140
Is that really true? If so, that's bad. lol I mean about the processor. I knew OLED was better than LCD.

Looking at 'artificial' battery tests between the V30 and V35, the V30 seems to get around 2 hours longer life than the V35.

This is on PhoneArena who also rate the iPhone 10 much higher than anyone seems to think is actually possible...

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #3,885 of 6,140
Looking at 'artificial' battery tests between the V30 and V35, the V30 seems to get around 2 hours longer life than the V35.

This is on PhoneArena who also rate the iPhone 10 much higher than anyone seems to think is actually possible...

I checked GSM Arena but they only have battery life results for V30, not V35.

Well, I got the V30, so I guess I'm hoping you're right! lol

Rate iPhone 10 higher for what though??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back