LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 21, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,946 of 4,141
I have V30+ (T-Mobile H932UBK) on latest Oreo 20s. I never listen to radio, but just tried the FM Radio app after seeing your post. It plays in perfect stereo, pretty decent quality too.

Nougat is really old, and Oreo has been almost perfect on V30. Just go check the head-fi V30 threads or the XDA V30 forum: Nobody uses or recommends Nougat.

Pie just came out for V30 in recent months (H932 being the last) and I'd be more careful about that, with some mixed reports. That said, you can always roll back: No V30 model has gone ARB1 yet (Anti-RollBack) not even on Pie.
Make sure you check the Sound preset and Digital filter options in the Quad DAC settings page when you compare. I prefer Normal and Sharp, respectively, but some people prefer filters with more or less pre- and post-ringing. I understand V20 had a fixed filter, which I assume would have been the Sharp one, but I don't know.

Also, I highly recommend studying @csglinux's opening post linked below -- and that entire thread whenever you have time. Zeroing out any processing by Neutron and making sure Redbook 16/44 doesn't go through the Android Mixer is pretty much all you need to do software-wise. The rest is up to the DAC.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/
Make sure you check the Sound preset and Digital filter options in the Quad DAC settings page when you compare. I prefer Normal and Sharp, respectively, but some people prefer filters with more or less pre- and post-ringing. I understand V20 had a fixed filter, which I assume would have been the Sharp one, but I don't know.

Also, I highly recommend studying @csglinux's opening post linked below -- and that entire thread whenever you have time. Zeroing out any processing by Neutron and making sure Redbook 16/44 doesn't go through the Android Mixer is pretty much all you need to do software-wise. The rest is up to the DAC.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/
Thanks, Dannemand, for the info: I chugged through all of the setting options to disable as much processing as possible, and I preferred "Normal". Don't remember what the earlier version of Neutron had, but I don't recall the 3 options. I'm hoping it's Redbooking all the way through.

The current tuner algorithm in my new V30 is playing Stereo OK, and a small bonus is that reception sensitivity is greater - several stations are more listenable (a couple break into stereo now that didn't before on the V20). Now I'm off the that "Tips-and-Tricks" thread!

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #3,947 of 4,141
Wrong I use it and recommend it 100%. I have updates turned off so I need not worry.
Hey, Hooter, I'm a little curious on how you avoid updates. I used my V20 (and now, my V30) exclusively to play music, and the only app I've installed is Neutron. I don't worry about phone security, because I have no SIM, and all my entertainment is either on FM or an SD. Both TMobile & LG techs (such as they claim to be) warn me there's some logic in TMobile's "push" program for Oreo (and Pie) to reach out to non-updated phones: they service-connect for Amber Alerts and 9-1-1 dials even with no service, unless out of range. I think that's how they finally caught me on my old Nougat V20.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,948 of 4,141
Hey, Hooter, I'm a little curious on how you avoid updates. I used my V20 (and now, my V30) exclusively to play music, and the only app I've installed is Neutron. I don't worry about phone security, because I have no SIM, and all my entertainment is either on FM or an SD. Both TMobile & LG techs (such as they claim to be) warn me there's some logic in TMobile's "push" program for Oreo (and Pie) to reach out to non-updated phones: they service-connect for Amber Alerts and 9-1-1 dials even with no service, unless out of range. I think that's how they finally caught me on my old Nougat V20.

To be honest I just open settings > general > about phone > update center > software update and turn off automatic checking for software and Auto-install updates.
I assume that does the trick. I have a V20 with Android 7.

Thanks for your reply to my question about V20 vs V30 sound quality.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #3,949 of 4,141
Kudos to you, Hooster - I'm jealous you've hung onto Nougat!

I have to admit to having very persnickety cans: you can hear concert hall ambience & pages being turned on music stands in orchestral passages on these cans that aren't audible on almost any other but a Stax.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,952 of 4,141
I'm looking to use the LG V20 as a hi-res-capable network streamer in a home loudspeaker system using Amazon HD. I got this idea from here. https://darko.audio/2019/10/lgs-v30-as-a-network-streamer-with-touchscreen/
The only issue is he is streaming Tidal using a remote control app. Does anyone know if there is a solution to use the V20 with Amazon to remote control with higher sampling rates? Also, would it be best to connect to my Emotiva TA-100's DAC or use the phones DAC?

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,953 of 4,141
Can anyone comment on the volume from a V20 with Hifiman HE4XX? I just listened to this pairing and the amp struggled to get to higher listening volumes.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #3,958 of 4,141
Nope, no rooting necessary. Google LG V20 high impedance mode and you should find instructions on how to do it, in this very thread. If you have trouble I will run down the instructions for you.

I just found a discussion in this thread. It references to get a 75 ohm adapter and an extension. I have Sennheiser HD580's which are 300 ohm impendence so is it accurate in saying that all I have to do is plug these in to activate high impendence mode without further setup?

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #3,959 of 4,141
I just found a discussion in this thread. It references to get a 75 ohm adapter and an extension. I have Sennheiser HD580's which are 300 ohm impendence so is it accurate in saying that all I have to do is plug these in to activate high impendence mode without further setup?
I just caught up with your thread, ratdog: the V20 is a GREAT sounding music player, but it won't bring my 300Ω or 600Ω 'phones to life without an external amp. Your Hifiman planars are likely a power-grubbing challenge, too. Don't sell the V20 short 'til you shove some adequate power to your phones. The ohm-adapter trick works like a charm, but it's primarily a workaround for more easily driven low-impedance cans or buds. Ifn's you just want to get the highest quality sound walking around with only the V20 as a phone, the ohm-adapter or "late attachment" scheme is your best bet.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3,960 of 4,141
I just caught up with your thread, ratdog: the V20 is a GREAT sounding music player, but it won't bring my 300Ω or 600Ω 'phones to life without an external amp. Your Hifiman planars are likely a power-grubbing challenge, too. Don't sell the V20 short 'til you shove some adequate power to your phones. The ohm-adapter trick works like a charm, but it's primarily a workaround for more easily driven low-impedance cans or buds. Ifn's you just want to get the highest quality sound walking around with only the V20 as a phone, the ohm-adapter or "late attachment" scheme is your best bet.

What is late attachment scheme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back