LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #3,781 of 4,141
Ok cool,I'll give it a shot. My zx300 doesnt do analog line out either, bht it's not terrible double amping, not ideal at all but oh well, cant have everything right? I'll be really excited if this sounds good enough on my ex1000 to let me sell my zx300, so I can buy other in ears. From what ive gathered theyre quite different, this being a sabre dac and all, and the amp not being great, but its a phone. I'm just excited about this phone in general, its better than the galaxy s7 active I had as far as just normal use goes.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,783 of 4,141
And if you have MQA downloads... Very nice

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,789 of 4,141
The V20 drives the 250 ohm Beyers very well indeed on most material, save for some 24/96 vinyl rips that could use a bit more grunt.

Bit late on this one, but was thinking of using a LG v20 with my DT770s for on the go use. Are you suggesting that they cannot power them enough for certain tracks? - I have a few pretty quiet classical music files, you see, that I'd love to have enough whack.

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #3,790 of 4,141
Bit late on this one, but was thinking of using a LG v20 with my DT770s for on the go use. Are you suggesting that they cannot power them enough for certain tracks? - I have a few pretty quiet classical music files, you see, that I'd love to have enough whack.
I might be able to shine some light on your question, although I do not own the DT770s, but the HD6xx which are 300Ohm.
I feel that I can drive 95% of my FLACs without feeling the need for more Oomph. There's only one album that I own that's a bit low and that's the Dark Side Of The Moon in 192Khz.

I think it all come down to personal taste on the level of volume, my younger brother feel that the V20 in general need a bit more volume on certain albums, while a friend of mine couldn't stand listening to max volume(on the same album & track my brother kept fumbling the volume up button).

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #3,791 of 4,141
Big difference between volume and control. V20 can get DT770 plenty loud on most modern "loudness wars" material with good control too. High DR stuff, YMMV. Generally enough gain, but at full volume with DT770 Pro 250 control might suffer. Bass can get wooly.
That said, I am still enjoying my V20/DT770 combo for travelling and see no need for a more powerful DAP 98% of the time.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #3,792 of 4,141
Ok cool,I'll give it a shot. My zx300 doesnt do analog line out either, bht it's not terrible double amping, not ideal at all but oh well, cant have everything right? I'll be really excited if this sounds good enough on my ex1000 to let me sell my zx300, so I can buy other in ears. From what ive gathered theyre quite different, this being a sabre dac and all, and the amp not being great, but its a phone. I'm just excited about this phone in general, its better than the galaxy s7 active I had as far as just normal use goes.
there is a wmport to 3.5 mm adapter available from Sony which allows analogue line out from these Walkmans. It came with one of my older Walkmans.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #3,793 of 4,141
there is a wmport to 3.5 mm adapter available from Sony which allows analogue line out from these Walkmans. It came with one of my older Walkmans.

No, that would bypass both amp/dac and simply make the zx300 a transport. I have that cable.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #3,795 of 4,141
It bypasses the amp not the DAC, isn't that what you want?

There is no way to bypass the amp only on the zx300. Its been discussedheavily in that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back