LG V20 Sound Quality
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #3,676 of 4,141
I finally got a V20 to replace my 7-yr-old Samsung Media Player. I'll avoid my assessment of the V20's audio, other to state that - even in HQ - it fails to provide body & volume to my phones. My question to anyone else who uses this thing as a portable music player with amp is: any ideas on how the heck to buddy the phone to an amp with that crazy power button smack in the middle of the back??

What headphones are you using and what is their impedance? If over 50 Ohms, have you verified the triggering of high-impedance mode during playback?

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #3,677 of 4,141
What headphones are you using and what is their impedance? If over 50 Ohms, have you verified the triggering of high-impedance mode during playback?
I'm using original Beyer DT 880 Studios, 600 ohms, and verified I'm getting max output. Sound out of the "bare" headphone jack is actually very good, but the dynamics, transients, and bottom end strength isn't there. Fiio E12 makes it happen.

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3,679 of 4,141
I'm using original Beyer DT 880 Studios, 600 ohms, and verified I'm getting max output. Sound out of the "bare" headphone jack is actually very good, but the dynamics, transients, and bottom end strength isn't there. Fiio E12 makes it happen.

I think the V20 maxes out at 300Ohm loads, so yeah, external amp might be the go.

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #3,680 of 4,141
I think the V20 maxes out at 300Ohm loads, so yeah, external amp might be the go.
Got the V20 because my (great sounding) Media Player is stuck at Gingerbread (no possible gapless) and limited storage. I'm pretty happy with the LG DAC's crisp audio and knew I'd likely need the outboard amp, but nothing prepared me for the "button in the middle of the back". I auditioned one at the local T-Mobile, but it was already turned on. Duh. Wish there was a shortcut or hack using the volume controls, but I think that's a dream.

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #3,681 of 4,141
can enable double tap on the screen in the settings to switch on the screen. I use this with an amp on the back so i removed the screenlock and when i double tap the screen it instantly unlocks

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #3,686 of 4,141
@Emulle : you know that B&O tuning is just some printed letters on the back of the case, right? :) no sound adjustments.
I beg to differ, bear in mind I, myself, have not compared the two.
There seem to be some different software tuning between the two(look at how V30 lets you tune the dac via software).
V20 stock vs. V20 B&O
- They sound different. Stock is clean, pure, B&O version's fancy tune up is not there. What I hear is pure signature of DAC and opamp.
- So some issues with B&O version disappeared: 1) bloated mid-bass - no more. the frequency response is very good, very balanced. 2) details - all details are there, great details.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-190#post-13698008

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #3,687 of 4,141
Well it doesn't matter that much. But has Lg published any different specs between them? I remember people on this same thread saying there no differnce. Maybe software, maybe. But with apps like uapp the sound should be the same as the hardware is the same.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,688 of 4,141
Well it doesn't matter that much. But has Lg published any different specs between them? I remember people on this same thread saying there no differnce. Maybe software, maybe. But with apps like uapp the sound should be the same as the hardware is the same.
There is no question about it that the specs of b&o and non-b&o are the same.
If there is any difference it's only in the software, like I mentioned earlier; have a look at the v30 user-changeable software tuning of the DAC.
But I would argue that the software tuning are on an 'earlier' level than the music player and by such means still incorporate the change with no regard to what app is playing the music.

As always with music all ears are different and what we hear is subjective, it may or may not be a difference but it doesn't matter as long as we enjoy the sound. :beerchug:

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,690 of 4,141
Yes, true, the sound quality is great anyway.
Apps like UAPP claim to directly access internal dac, bypassing any processing by android or lg software.
Really? I have only tried UAPP once and I was not impressed, compared to lg stock player. Would you mind linking me where UAPP developers say they bypass the dac tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back