1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

LG V20 Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by zachchen1996, Aug 1, 2016.
First

Back
237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246
248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257
Next

Last
  1. m-i-c-k-e-y
    For sometime now UAPP can access exclusively V20, V30 and others. Just choose the Hires Driver from Android and your good to go.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. LightBlue77
    yeah, and has many other settings for tuning the sound, bit perfect, and so on. i only use the eq.
    there is a huge uapp dedicated thread here on head-fi.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. andrewwardell
    i see the new Poweramp beta is now letting me choose the DAC as an output device, but it looks as though it’s still upsampling :/ Anyone else tried it?

4. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Last time I tried it can go only at DSD64. And yeah no where UAAP"s bitperfect sound quality.

5. andrewwardell
    Sad, that UI is really nice (to me). UAPP’s definitely my next logical step for sound improvement then (not that I’m unhappy with it now, just seeing what I can do to further optimise it.)

andrewski likes this.
  6. Emulle
    You could check the output with
    adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger

7. davrt
    Hello, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I just recently updated my AT&T branded V20 (H910) to Oreo and now the Hifi Quad DAC feature doesn't work anymore. What I mean by that is even when the Quad DAC setting is on, there is no change in sound signature. It sounds the same as if the setting is turned off. The only difference is the volume level. So now it acts more like an amp than a DAC. There is also something different I've noticed. When the Quad DAC setting is on, it gives us much smaller volume steps which I find very useful. When the setting is off, it goes back to the larger volume steps like it did on 7.0 Nougat. This happens in every app that I've tried, Spotify, Tidal, Youtube, etc. It happens on my Sennheiser HD598 (which uses High Impedance mode), Shure SE846 (doesn't use High Impedance mode), and Bose QC25 (for some reason it activates High Impedance even though the cans are less than 50 ohms). I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I did do a factory reset immediately after the update.

Oreo has effectively killed off the Quad DAC on my V20. How this got passed AT&T or LG QA is truly mind-boggling. I couldn't find anything through Google searches of people having the same issue. It makes me feel mine is an isolated case but I kinda doubt that. I contacted AT&T support about this but ultimately they were of no help. I'm thinking to downgrade back to 7.0 Nougat but I have no root knowledge.

I read an August post in this thread and someone said that he felt the sound quality got worse after updating to Oreo. I wonder if it might be he's having the same issue.

8. jt25741
    I do the vast majority of my listening using UAPP, and posted issues immediately upon upgrading. Sound was not good any more. I verified DIRECT mode was dropped with the upgrade but the dev quickly fixed that in an update. Since then I have enjoyed identical sound signature with Oreo 8.. and do appreciate the small increments with gain as you noted. Good luck to you getting to the root of this!

andrewski and andrewwardell like this.
  9. andrewwardell
    Can confirm in the release notes (after making the jump to UAPP myself) that the dev fixed the Oreo DIRECT mode issue a couple of versions ago. I'm still on Nougat though (H990DS) so I have yet to verify in person. Definitely rate the app though! if ever there was one worth shelling out for, UAPP would be it :ksc75smile:

andrewski likes this.
  10. davrt
    So my understanding is the hi-res audio can only be used in UAPP and not elsewhere? Not really the ideal solution I was looking for but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Does anyone know why Oreo has dropped the Direct mode on the V20 in the first place?

11. LightBlue77
    As long as android or lg software processes the sound before it reaches your headphone, you won't get the original audio. This doesn't mean it is not good audio, it is still hi-res but processed, perhaps in a good way but not to the full potential. i won't get into what technically hi-res mean, let's say high quality.
    UAPP bypasses any processing and directly accesses the DAC. You are able to choose bit perfect mode or apply your own EQ preferences or other sound settings. it is the best solution. For example i immediately notice the difference in quality between sound in tidal app and tidal via uapp. But i think this would apply to any phone or standalone android based dap. Only apps directly accessing DAC will give you the best sound. i think Neutron is free and does this but i am not sure, i remember i tried it and removed it for some reason. After paying ~300-400 usd/euros for this phone, 8 euros is not that much but the benefit is. i will stick to v20 and nougat just for this reason, it is a very good phone (well, i bought it for ~210 euros from a guy), the upgrade to oreo seems to break stuff and buying v30 will add some hardware and software benefits but the sound is the same because the dac is the same afaik.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  12. m-i-c-k-e-y
    ‘if it ain't broke, don't fix it’

Neutron is not free, HibyMusic is. Problem with Neutron is its UI.

One more that i like this phone. I can change the batteries still.

stuck limo likes this.
  13. stuck limo
    Wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to a V30 on my end, but I'm not convinced there's enough of a sound quality jump to justify the price of V30 + extra battery pack.

14. Emulle
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    amirm likes this.
  15. jt25741
    Thats not surprising, but reassuring. The v20 can be found so dirt cheap on the used market I have several of them for spares and backup. All because of its audio quality, decent phone and camera, and removable battery. Still my favorite toy.

andrewwardell likes this.
First

Back
237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246
248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257
Next

Last