LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 4, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,711 of 4,141
The system volume slider controls volume at the app level, at the very beginning of the signal chain. For its control to be moved all the way to the END of the chain, at the DAC, the amount of android hacking required and the resulting possibilities for incompatibilities boggles my mind...

typically system volume slider works in audio flinger, after audio track filter.

however, it is possible to modify Android framework and device drivers to pass volume directly to hardware, and leave Android mixer at 0 gain.

it seems LG haven't done that yet.

Care to name a device that has? Would be interesting to investigate

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,713 of 4,141
yes, amplified low volume signal, miserable noise floor arises. and the noise stops when noise gate kicks in.

Seems reasonable. You mean the noise floor rises as the volume rises? That suggests an analogue volume control. The noise gate is normal in a DAC. It gives a good SNR number, even if it is cheating.

However analogue volume controls on DACs are often large analogue steps, say 6dB, and the small steps done in the digital domain. Analogue switches cost.

Edit: Is the signal a 24 bit signal, dithered? If 16 bit that may be the noise floor. I suspect you know that

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,715 of 4,141
Seems reasonable. You mean the noise floor rises as the volume rises? That suggests an analogue volume control. The noise gate is normal in a DAC. It gives a good SNR number, even if it is cheating.
However analogue volume controls on DACs are often large analogue steps, say 6dB, and the small steps done in the digital domain. Analogue switches cost.
Edit: Is the signal a 24 bit signal, dithered? If 16 bit that may be the noise floor. I suspect you know that

sorry my expression was ambiguous, low volume signal means normal volume content attenuated by volume control. output is amplified to match voltage for different system volumes. the noise floor rises as volume control turns down (and external amplifer gain goes up).
24bit and 16bit have similar noise floor, but noise gate kick-ins are only noticable in 16bit. sound quality also degrades a lot in 16bit even when noise gate is not active.

i think it's safe to assume that 16bit path does volume control in digital domain, but i'm not sure about 24bit path.

and 24bit goes the direct offload path, if LG has implemented AVC support, it's reasonable to only support it in offload mode.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,717 of 4,141
HI all, I am proud owner of V20 (Tmobile version unlocked) :) enjoying the sound by listening to it for around 5-6 hrs a day still getting 1.5 days of battery backup pretty easily. There are cases where it stretched to 2.5 days with mild use that includes 1-2hr audio,1hr web browsing, 1hr navigation. 

I have SE535 whose impedance is 36ohm and sensitivity of 119db. Music is loud enough and have no issues with it. However, it triggers to high impedance mode ocassionally and triggers normal audio device most of the times. I've been awwed everytime it went to high impedance mode. No surprises here as single DAC is active in normal mode and 4DACs are active in high impedance mode. In this forum, I read tricks to trigger high impedance mode and have seen a post somewhere to do it by rooting the phone. I've no issues rooting my phone as it is unlocked and doesnt carry warranty (bought it from ebay). However, I wanted to confirm if high impedance mode is safe for the IEMs. 

I understand impedance protects damage to drivers in IEMs. Does low impedance on SE535 mean that its already protected or does it mean I need to be more cautious? I think, its latter.

Does it reduce the risk of damage as we hear at relatively lower volumes (I listen at 15-20 volume level in high impedance mode and listen at 35-40 in normal mode).

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,718 of 4,141
How do the HifiMan Mass Drop RE00 IEM's pair with the V20? Any one have experience with them? I normally hate IEM's but I found out I am getting a pair for christmas so I guess I am going to be giving them a shot. The last IEM's I tried were the rockit sounds R50 which sounded absolutely down right horrible. 

I have just purchased the He-400i and they sound incredible with the LG V20.
However they seem to need either an amp or USB Amp/DAC.
I was surprised that the built in DAC doesn't drive them terribly well.
I've experimented with an Opus #11 and the difference is incredible.
I'm using both USB Audio Player Pro and Neutron.
The UAPP app recognises the USB DAC but won't output sound.
The most awesome support from UAPP are helping me troubleshoot.
Anyone else perhaps can recommend external devices.
Also interested in hearing the Fiio A5 with the LG V20.
Thanks

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,719 of 4,141
I just purchased a pair of HD650 headphones and I plan to purchase a bottlehead crack amp to drive it. I would like use my V20 DAC in this setup. Would there be problems or sound issues with plugging my amplified V20 into another amplifier?

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,720 of 4,141
I just purchased a pair of HD650 headphones and I plan to purchase a bottlehead crack amp to drive it. I would like use my V20 DAC in this setup. Would there be problems or sound issues with plugging my amplified V20 into another amplifier?

Im sure some will give a different answer but id say go for it. It sounds great when plugged into my car stereo.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,721 of 4,141
Wat casing you are using for this V20?:grin:
Currently using this, same as my previous ip6 version:

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,723 of 4,141
I hv vrs carbon fit and Ringke Onyx.
Onyx hv better grip and a tad thicker. Vrs hv soft touch feel with a kick stand.

No issues with bottom cut outs on both. Both protects the camera and and main screen well.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,725 of 4,141
I hv vrs carbon fit and Ringke Onyx.
Onyx hv better grip and a tad thicker. Vrs hv soft touch feel with a kick stand.

No issues with bottom cut outs on both. Both protects the camera and and main screen well.

Carbon fit looks :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back