LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 5, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #1,727 of 4,141
how do i get high impedance for the v20, any amp to recommend to bring out the fullest potential?

Dunno about amp. I just purchased a burson cable+ ( boost signal & impedance matching)for the purpose of connecting to 2 channels spk. Just curious how it sound on the new ESS9028 chip.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,729 of 4,141
I hv vrs carbon fit and Ringke Onyx.
Onyx hv better grip and a tad thicker. Vrs hv soft touch feel with a kick stand.

No issues with bottom cut outs on both. Both protects the camera and and main screen well.

Heck, I have a Spigen Tough Armor, VRSDesign Crystal Bumper and UAG Plasma cases, and I still want the Ringke

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,730 of 4,141
  HI all, I am proud owner of V20 (Tmobile version unlocked) :) enjoying the sound by listening to it for around 5-6 hrs a day still getting 1.5 days of battery backup pretty easily. There are cases where it stretched to 2.5 days with mild use that includes 1-2hr audio,1hr web browsing, 1hr navigation. 

I have SE535 whose impedance is 36ohm and sensitivity of 119db. Music is loud enough and have no issues with it. However, it triggers to high impedance mode ocassionally and triggers normal audio device most of the times. I've been awwed everytime it went to high impedance mode. No surprises here as single DAC is active in normal mode and 4DACs are active in high impedance mode. In this forum, I read tricks to trigger high impedance mode and have seen a post somewhere to do it by rooting the phone. I've no issues rooting my phone as it is unlocked and doesnt carry warranty (bought it from ebay). However, I wanted to confirm if high impedance mode is safe for the IEMs. 

I understand impedance protects damage to drivers in IEMs. Does low impedance on SE535 mean that its already protected or does it mean I need to be more cautious? I think, its latter.

Does it reduce the risk of damage as we hear at relatively lower volumes (I listen at 15-20 volume level in high impedance mode and listen at 35-40 in normal mode).

low impedance mode have lower noise floor and lower distortion for low impedance load.

high impedance mode offers higher output voltage. personally i wouldn't worry about damaging armature drivers more than damaging our cochleas 
tongue.gif
, 35~40 is pretty loud for se535 on v20 unless it is playing classical.

btw, low volume harms sound quality, 16bit @ 15~20 equals 9~10bit effective information, lower bits are eaten by volume control.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #1,732 of 4,141
Will using high impedance mode damage iem like FLC 8S which have a 11ohms?

No, it is false belief. It just prones to be more hissing but no damage at all. Just ensure you not put it like 90% of volume. Then it causes damage. Just set volume no more than your ear limit.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,733 of 4,141
Will using high impedance mode damage iem like FLC 8S which have a 11ohms?

not sure about that. but according to dummy load test, i don't think its a good idea to use high impedance mode for a 11ohms load from sound quality perspective...

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,736 of 4,141
  Has anyone tried plugging a headphone with more than 600 ohms? I believe 600ohms is the maximum impedance required for High impedance mode. I'm thinking of getting a TY Hi-Z 650 ohms if ever.

NO, but if it is an issue, you could always put a 3.3K resistor in parallel with each channel with no major loading issues.

I'm not sure how the V20 measures the impedance.  If it is at DC then usually this is a bit lower than the nominal impedance on dynamic drivers without crossovers.  So you may be fine.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,738 of 4,141

can it play native dsd? up to what sampling rate?

no. and native dsd has only one sample rate: 2.8224mhz.

That's DSD64. There are DSD128, DSD256, DSD512... at 5.6, 11.2, 22.6MHz...

( :rolleyes: )

But yeah...

personally i don't think that matters, there are tons of more important problems to be solved for audio playback.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back