LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 7, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #842 of 4,141
Already down to US$600 in HK, including shipping to Oz.
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/lg-v20-h990-dual-sim-64gb-silver.html

I'll wait another month as it might go down a bit before Xmas.V10 is $375 on the same site, how's that for a cost effective DAP? Or go for G5 + B&O Module for $460? :)

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #843 of 4,141
Like all LG phones this one will have a price decrease in the next few months. They always do like clockwork.

Yeah, I don't understand why they devalue their own products so fast, what's the hurry to reduce the price so fast, I guess I shouldn't complain about reduced prices, but it stings you, when you want to sell it.

At least their quality devices when they work well.

Already down to US$600 in HK, including shipping to Oz.
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/lg-v20-h990-dual-sim-64gb-silver.html

I'll wait another month as it might go down a bit before Xmas.V10 is $375 on the same site, how's that for a cost effective DAP? Or go for G5 + B&O Module for $460? :)

Looks like I may order it soon as well, I would wait for the v20, I like the bigger battery and built in high end DAC, our local model isn't the b&o variant, so I'd rather buy that version. Also like to wait till root access had been done, so I can get rid of the advertising. And open the amplifiers power gain, if possible

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #844 of 4,141
At least their quality devices when they work well.
Looks like I may order it soon as well, I would wait for the v20, I like the bigger battery and built in high end DAC, our local model isn't the b&o variant, so I'd rather buy that version. Also like to wait till root access had been done, so I can get rid of the advertising. And open the amplifiers power gain, if possible

How come you don't want the B&O tuned version? I have it and think it sounds really good. I'm not sure there'll be a root for the dual sim models, apparently it's really difficult, although there is a bounty thread for it on XDA.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #845 of 4,141
i do not care about their pricing policy as much as i care bout being mislead into believing this phone can play high res without down sampling. People over xda in the lg v20 forum confirmed that the lg v20 simply is down sampling everything that includes the stock music app as well, even when hifi dac in engaged

what a sneaky move from LG to do advertise something that they are not offering

Honestly had it been not for the fact that LG v20 support MHL so I can use it with my glyph headset, I would have stayed with my s7 edge

Honestly I do not know why people are sometimes so supportive of a product even though they discover after that that they have been mislead by the company. I am talking about ethics here, when I go and buy product that is advertised to be the best audio phone and that it is for audiophiles and people who appreciate music and sound quality, to later to find out that I can have been mislead that is not acceptable in my books

I really hope dam LG would care about either stop their non truthful advertising about being able to handle high res, or man up and fix this dam mess 

So people be aware you are buying a phone that is simply not meeting what the company is advertising

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #846 of 4,141
How come you don't want the B&O tuned version? I have it and think it sounds really good. I'm not sure there'll be a root for the dual sim models, apparently it's really difficult, although there is a bounty thread for it on XDA.

Is there any evidence there is any difference between the b&o branded and the non-branded?

Or is it just a badge, and they are the same?

No disrespect to b&o. The Danish r&d know what they are doing,even if you are often paying a lot extra for the "shiny".

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #847 of 4,141
Is there any evidence there is any difference between the b&o branded and the non-branded?

Or is it just a badge, and they are the same?

No disrespect to b&o. The Danish r&d know what they are doing,even if you are often paying a lot extra for the "shiny".

I would personally be surprised if there is a difference. I’m more inclined to believe it’s some kind of marketing deal between B&O and LG to promote the former’s brand in the Asian market.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #848 of 4,141

I want the b&o version of the v20, the fact it isn't sold here locally, is why I am thinking of importing the bang version. I also prefer the dual sim.
I will wait till the root is available, then I will buy one for sure.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #849 of 4,141
Pixel does have Qualcomm Aquatic

However judging by the mixer_path.xml setting discrepancies when compared to HTC 10, Snapdragon Note 7, Xiomia Mi5 ; Pixel settings are not on HIFI and thus I feel the audio was not optimized.

[Rx Headphone Mode value =CLS_H_HIFI on all but Pixel.
Pixel reads CLS_H_LOHIFI, which doesn't match the other Aqstic value settings]*

Specs for Aqstic:frowning2:https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/821)
Audio
Audio Technology
Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio technology
Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio codec playback support
192kHz 24-bit lossless audio playback

Qualcomm Aqstic™ Speaker Amplifier output power
Up to 4W output power

Qualcomm Aqstic™ technology

Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio codec

Qualcomm Aqstic™ speaker amplifier with Speaker Protection

If you look at Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 feature set listed on their site; the Aqstic is missing as a feature. : www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820

I think the 8996 processor with Aqstic was changed to an 821 for classification sakes. Which is why there is no speed changes and mainly just the Efficiency which could also be contributed to the Aqstic DAC/amp. Since Qualcomm advertises improved efficiency utilizing Aqstic over their initial 820 SOC offering.

Looking at the specifications of the Aqstic DAC/codec/amp some optimization definitely seems to be missing from the Pixel devices.

LG went a different route by not paying Qualcomm for Aqstic Audio access and thus implementing their own DAC/AMP solution.

HTC said they weren't using the standard Snapdragon 820 SOC audio offering, but have not dented using Aqstic which Qualcomm says HTC 10 was using Aqstic.

With HTC Bolt lacking Headphone Jack....I'm really hoping HTC doesn't make no Headphone Jack the norm.

That would only leave LG as offering built-in Headphone optimization.

Seems like a crazy industry move, just when Qualcomm actually gave a noteworthy effort in terms of Aqstic specs. (Yet, the manufacturers are abandoning the Headphone Jack...like sorry Qualcomm but it is too late)

but pocketnow said that the audio quality is disappoiting for its price point.Even ip7 produce better sound quality that pixel

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #851 of 4,141
I've only read of one case of cracked lens outside of YouTube videos testing the phone. And that person dropped it. So I don't think it is a widespread issue. People making it a bigger issue than it should be. Keep the plastic on, don't be negligent or drop your phone and you should be fine.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #853 of 4,141
I've only read of one case of cracked lens outside of YouTube videos testing the phone. And that person dropped it. So I don't think it is a widespread issue. People making it a bigger issue than it should be. Keep the plastic on, don't be negligent or drop your phone and you should be fine.

Plus, using a Phone case with any Phablet is the smart thing to do. If it doesn't fit in their skinny jeans, they should get a smaller phone.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #854 of 4,141
but pocketnow said that the audio quality is disappoiting for its price point.Even ip7 produce better sound quality that pixel

Pocket now tested the Pixel as-is out-of-the-box.

Which only supports what I claimed: Pixel doesn't have the Aqstic DAC/amp settings optimized.

(When rooted and changing RX Headphone Mode to CLS_H_HIFI, it removed the bass boost I was hearing through Campfire Jupiter's and Shure SE535)

I was also adjusted digital gain a little so that I could get Audio out on phone when using AuX car connection to be volume-leveled with other Radio input sources.

Pocketnow did not address changing any of the settings of the mixer_path.xml file or tasha_mixer_parh.xml.

(The ability to change settings at the device level is one of the larger benefits of Root permission with Android vs Apple iOS devices)
Not that we as the consumers should have to fix these shortcomings in the 1st place*

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #855 of 4,141
I would personally be surprised if there is a difference. I’m more inclined to believe it’s some kind of marketing deal between B&O and LG to promote the former’s brand in the Asian market.

I would like a B&O variant to compare device DAC settings to see if there is a difference between the model variants.

Note 7 Snapdragon Aqstic vs Exynos was more similar sound wise than S7 Edge Exynos vs Snapdragon 820 SOC audio(Non-Aqstic)

Mixer_path settings were different which was expected given different chipsets.

HTC M8 with Harmon Kardon model had different audio tuning than normal M8. So I think similar audio tweaks even if they are just equalization might be present in B&0 variant over the US variant I have from Sprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back