LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #811 of 4,141
  i know that info but why does it down sample as that is false advertising and people over xda are talking about this

maybe this can be fixed by firmware upgrade as i really thing advertising a quad dac to handle high res gave everyone the impression that it will keep things true without down sampling or upsampling

to be honest, I feel that LG are misleading us with their advertisement 

i hope that this can be fixed via firmware upgrade, as people over xda are not happy with that info and some consider it misleading advertisement

Well - as long as it does it with it's bundled music app - then it's not necessary false advertising. Not opening it up for other music players to use is crap for sure, but well... LG has some weird ways sometimes....

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #812 of 4,141

Well - as long as it does it with it's bundled music app - then it's not necessary false advertising. Not opening it up for other music players to use is crap for sure, but well... LG has some weird ways sometimes....

well i guess even with the stock music app it down samples to 48000

why are things not clear as far what this device does

I am not complaining but i like to know what goes on when it comes to audio files especially that its main feature is audio

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #813 of 4,141
  well i guess even with the stock music app it down samples to 48000

why are things not clear as far what this device does

I am not complaining but i like to know what goes on when it comes to audio files especially that its main feature is audio

I agree with you - it could be so easy - let people control which amp is used - which DAC is used and let apps access the DAC via the normal framework of APIs if that is possible. Not sure why these decisions were made at LG....

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #814 of 4,141

I agree with you - it could be so easy - let people control which amp is used - which DAC is used and let apps access the DAC via the normal framework of APIs if that is possible. Not sure why these decisions were made at LG....

my only question is why down sampling is happening even with stock music app, that is not supposed to be happening knowing that there is the hifi dac, down sampling to 48000 should have been mentioned by LG that they are doing this

is there any app we can know what sample bit rates are being put out from the headphone jack to put an end to all this debate

please distinguish I like what I am hearing, but I do not like being sold into something that is not up to their advertising 

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #815 of 4,141
  I will say that part of my decision, too, was that my HTC overheated like crazy when it was charging. Like, I fell asleep with it plugged in while listening to YouTube videos and it actually gave me a mild burn.

This sounds like a lawsuit.  A device causing burns?  If it gets hot enough to burn it can get hot enough to cause a fire.  Mine gets hot when downloading files or transferring files to my media server.  Sometimes when streaming movies but nothing more than just being warm.  Every phone I have ever owned has done that.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #816 of 4,141

Well - as long as it does it with it's bundled music app - then it's not necessary false advertising. Not opening it up for other music players to use is crap for sure, but well... LG has some weird ways sometimes.

From what the other website is saying, it seems as though this happens with every music player, stock or otherwise.  Honestly the sound coming out of this is pretty darn good.  But I guess if they advertise high res, 32bit/564,000kbs or whatever....it should deliver?

I know a couple of people have posted battery life for this phone, relative to other phones, how is it?  Good?  Bad?  Atrocious?  That was an issue with my G5 + DAC.  I could see the battery meter dropping in front of my eyes.  If I plugged it in (quick charge didn't work while listening with the DAC) it would stop discharging, but it wouldn't actually charge, lol.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #817 of 4,141
Glad you are enjoying it! Looks like you and your Corgi (?) are having a great day.
Been working too much last few days to do much real testing or offer any insights, but it's definitely great sounding for a phone!

Yep, Corgi. Can't seem to find any earphones that fit him...?

I am really happy to verify with my own eyes that the P1s kick this thing into high-impedance mode. They are pretty darn loud at 40 out of 75. Seriously this is my all-time favorite portable rig. The IE800 I really love with the V20 as well, but the P1 are just special to me and finding something that can properly drive them without an amp (iPhone came close) is just perfect. They're the most comfortable IEMs I own and the sound quality is fantastic when they have enough power. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #818 of 4,141
Firstly, if you are purchasing the V20 and expecting a big improvement in audio over the V10, you will be disappointed.  I would describe
So I would rank the phones I have heard in the last year as follows; Vivo XPlay 5 Elite > LG V20 > LG V10 > ZTE Axon 7 > HTC 10 with the caveat that the warmer sound signature of the HTC 10 is not to my taste.  I should also add that my V20 is the one with the B&O tuning.  I will definitely be keeping it, not just because of the audio but it is also a really nice phone.

Precise.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #819 of 4,141
  This sounds like a lawsuit.  A device causing burns?  If it gets hot enough to burn it can get hot enough to cause a fire.  Mine gets hot when downloading files or transferring files to my media server.  Sometimes when streaming movies but nothing more than just being warm.  Every phone I have ever owned has done that.

This was INSANELY hot. Like it left a red mark on my chest hot. I'd 100% believe if you left it doing stuff for a long period while in fast charge mode it could cause a fire. I was afraid of the thing. The v20 doesn't even get CLOSE.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #825 of 4,141
Believe?

By max do you believe Vrms max? I suspect the chipset can do it, but other limitations are keeping it to <1.8V rms. Maybe power supply voltage or LG

I've only seen the 2V spec just once (separately) for each of them and I doubt it was for rms.

Most portables are under 2V. Only ones like the QP1R, AK players, and a few others exceed it so I doubt the V10/V20 could output that much rms power. Battery wouldn't last more than 4-5 hours if it did. Bet that's one reason why LG uses the auto-impedance sensing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back